Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best Monster Truck for Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 PM
ryansiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Monster Truck for Newbie

I started to get in to the rc hobby awhile ago with a RC18MT. I find it now to be too small and kinda boring. I completely new to nitro. Can anybody recommend at good 1:8-1:10 monster truck? I'm leaning towards the MGT 3.0 from Associated because of their reputation and the fact that its pretty cheap. Thanks:Ryan
Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Monster Truck for Newbie

I don't think there's such thing as for newbie..... MGT3.0 is a good truck from what I've heard... Also, Savage X 4.6, LST2, Revo, are all good trucks...
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 PM
twomanytoys

The MGT3.0 is on the small side of 1/10 scale. Check out teh Losi Aftershock for about 329.00. Unless you dont have that much to spend then the mgt is the best choice for the 250 range.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 PM
[email protected]

mgt 4.6, savage x 4.6, losi aftershock, revo, t-maxx are all good trucks
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
MMT GUNS

If your one of them guy's that think that he is Legendary Evil Knievel jumping 30 foot ramps or mountain's, and have the money to back up every expensive part you brake from your $500+ RC Truck, go Savage

If you like moding Trucks or thinking of using it on the race track get the T-Maxx or MGT 3.0, other trucks are all good just pick your favorite.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 AM
ryansiki

Ya, I'm no evil knievel. Which is the best as far as maintenance, and reliability?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on running on a track at all, a truggy might be an idea. A Thunder Tiger ST-1 or GS XUT would both be good beginner trucks. Both less than $300 at Amain.

I just think 1/10 is too small. Might as well go 1/8 if you can...
Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 AM
ryansiki

I have a 1:18 so anything bigger will do fine. Also i dont plan to do any racing, just bashing.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would still make every effort to go 1/8. The Aftershock would be great. You have to keep in mind that just a few inches in grass and a 1/10 can be worthless. The Aftershock would plow through it no problem.. Makes a big difference. 1/10 are more for gravel, dirt, etc.. Just because of the ground clearance alone, a 1/8 MT like the AS is far more versatile.. And ultimately fun..
Old 01-28-2009, 08:02 AM
derrick05

The best MT for you is the one that you like best.Only you know how you plan to use the truck.If 1/10 scale fits then go for it.If you want a 1/8 scale then go for it.If youre attracted to the MGT then go for it.Dont just run out and buy something because Billy Bob said it was the best,or you may end up with a truck that you hate.Get what YOU like,wich is what youre going to do in the end anyway.This is just another stupid BEST thread.We see these same questions over and over and the threads are nerveracking to say the least,but certain members keep feeding into it[:@][:@].I understand that youre new and may not know it yet,but these experienced guys that are feeding into this thread,know just as well as I do that there is no such thing as THE BEST when it comes to nitro.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 AM
MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: derrick05

The best MT for you is the one that you like best.Only you know how you plan to use the truck.If 1/10 scale fits then go for it.If you want a 1/8 scale then go for it.If youre attracted to the MGT then go for it.Dont just run out and buy something because Billy Bob said it was the best,or you may end up with a truck that you hate.Get what YOU like,wich is what youre going to do in the end anyway.This is just another stupid BEST thread.We see these same questions over and over and the threads are nerveracking to say the least,but certain members keep feeding into it[:@][:@].I understand that youre new and may not know it yet,but these experienced guys that are feeding into this thread,know just as well as I do that there is no such thing as THE BEST when it comes to nitro.

I agree 100% thats wy I created this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8378985/tm.htm

Moderators should put the MT buyer guide as a sticky cause of these non stop threads.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
twomanytoys

I have 2 savages, mgt4.6 and 8.0, Aftershock and Tmaxx. The Aftershock I have had to do ZERO repairs and it takes a beating. I have been through a few diffs on the Savages and repaired teh tranny on the mgt4.6 3 times. The 8.0 is good also but I think thats out of your range. Aftershock is the best truck you can get for the money.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: ryansiki

Ya, I'm no evil knievel. Which is the best as far as maintenance, and reliability?
Everybody here knows and cannot deny that the Savage is the most durable Monster truck there is...It may not handle that good, but its fast, and its durable...
Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
twomanytoys

I dont think its the most durable. Savages have their problems that others do not. Diffs, axles, drive shaftsn, cups. Yes they can take a beating but the drivetrain is on the weak side.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:19 PM
ryansiki

I'm pretty easy. I dont really care what I get. I just want one that is really durable and easy to start and maintain ,
Old 01-28-2009, 04:33 PM
twomanytoys

Aftershock has everything you want for a great price.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Clymer122693

Holy crap!!! Twomanytoys I never thought I would here you say that the savage was weak! If I remember correctly you were one of the HPI fanboys that praised the savage...glad ya found the light bud
Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
ryansiki

Im starting to lean toward the Savage XL.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 PM
MuggyDude

Well, I own a Losi and I think they are absolutely great! The Aftershock is a awesome truck and it will be as durable as you can get. I definetely would reccomend it over any Savage, Even the Xl.