Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

OPINION which is more durable Savage 4.6 or MGT 4.6?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

OPINION which is more durable Savage 4.6 or MGT 4.6?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM
HJJFFFAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OPINION which is more durable Savage 4.6 or MGT 4.6?

Jim's pissed.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, well, not really.

Maybe it could be a bit if misunderstanding, maybe he might have been mistaking me for a Savage fanboy. But to be honest, if the OP chose the MGT over the Savage, I absolutely believe he would be happy with the MGT too.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, well, not really.

Maybe it could be a bit if misunderstanding, maybe he might have been mistaking me for a Savage fanboy. But to be honest, if the OP chose the MGT over the Savage, I absolutely believe he would be happy with the MGT too.
But you have Savage in your user name. Anyway. I find nothing wrong with the MGT. I had a few encounters with the trucks and I liked it a lot. In the end it's your choice. What can you afford (MGT being cheaper), what do you need, etc. Good luck with your choice OP.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 AM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

I have just about every name brand truck out and can honestly say that the Savage is not the toughest. It has its weak points just like all other trucks but these weak points are the most important part of the truck. It dont matter how tough the truck is if you cant keep the diffs together. Now that you stated that the Savage DOES have weak diffs backs up my statement. Yes the Savage is known to be the best basher and a really tough truck but you can at least point out the weak points so others are informed waht they might be getting into. SavageJim I respect your opinion. You have been here a long time as I also have been and I have taken alot of advise from your posts. Most of us are not going to agree on everything other say. This is just one of those times. Sorry if I offended you. I did not mean to come off that way.
Look, everyone knows the Savage too has its weak points.
I'll be honest with you, at first, I didnt appreciate your tone of this and your other post. But since you apologized for what could be taken as offensive, I understand. Just ease up on your tone, you were coming off like you were talking hard, thats all.

I am not lying, I hold this opinion in favor for the Savage, and because it is my favourite truck, of course I speak from a biased opnion. But I do recognize the strong points of other trucks too.

These are some of my beefs I have with the Savage also, so my bias is tempered. I recognize that it has its own faults as I have personally experienced them too. I already admitted and agreed with you the Savage diffs are not made with the best metals for the bashing task. And the Savage reverse module? I would not touch that with a 10ft pole especially with today's higher torque engines. I also dont like the fact that the Savage only has one brake set when other trucks have two (some Cenchain Nemesis/Geneses trucks have two, the Revo can mount two). The plastic fomula that HPI started using for Savage X series is not as durable as the non-X Savage plastics. I personally do not like the HPI TF radios and SF servos. But that is a bias I have from using higher grade radios. I dont like the Kingstar-Nitrostar engines much either, but again, that is a bias from running more powerful aftermarket engines.

Aside from some of the criticisms I have of the Savage, I still like it despite its shortfalls. And I am not trying to hide the fact that I am biased for the Savage.
I honestly did not mean to come off hard. Thank you for being honest. Thats what I was looking for. I also love my Savages out of all of my trucks but when someone asks about a truck I will tell them why I like it and its weak points. You and I may know its downfalls but alot of guys come here do not. People need to know what to look for when looking for a truck.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:18 AM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

i have the savage x 4.6 and it is much more durable than the mgt. double backflips are not uncommon with my driving

from everyday "normal person" use, i have broke nothing except for losing a couple screws. with my kind of bashing, i've broken 2 dogbones, an engine mount, a fuel tank, and a engine mount plate.

the dogbones were from WOT landings on pavement and the other parts were broken from a 25 ft. almost vertical jump with a roof landing.

the savage will take much more abuse than a MGT. the weakest links on the savage are the dogbones and some people also say the diffs. you can always use the HD dogbones if needed and the flux or CEN diffs if you have a diff problem.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 AM
twomanytoys

HD dogbones are even weaker. That would be a downgrade.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, there is somthing brittle with the HD dogbones. I noticed the welds of the endball are done way too cheaply. HPI should bust the chops of their Taiwan sub-contractors and force them to make these correctly.

The rear center longitudinal dogbone that always fails. That dogbone sees the most torsional stresses. The next dogbones that see the 2nd set of dogbones to see the net greatest amount of torsional stresses are the rear longitudinal dogbones. That is simply because the rear wheels do most of the propelling since the CM of the Savage always goes up and above its original postion as the RC rises up to wheely.

I personally use the New Era Models rear center dogbone for the extended TVPs.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
KILL--ROY

All trucks are money pits.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

The plastic fomula that HPI started using for Savage X series is not as durable as the non-X Savage plastics.
What tests brought you to this conclusion? As far as I know, HPI uses 2 types of plastics: a Nylon polymer for high impact parts such as arms, bumpers, and shock towers; and what seems to be a glass filled nylon composite, which is used in areas where mechanical strength and rigidity are more important than toughness. I've done a few tests on both pre-X and X plastics, and both plastic types seem to be consistent in density, elasticity, elongation before break, and tensile strength from version to version.

I'm interested in hearing your side of the story, as I know you have materials science background, and would not simply throw a statement like that out in the open.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 AM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

HD dogbones are even weaker. That would be a downgrade.

the dogbones from the flux are bulletproof.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 AM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

The plastic fomula that HPI started using for Savage X series is not as durable as the non-X Savage plastics.
What tests brought you to this conclusion? As far as I know, HPI uses 2 types of plastics: a Nylon polymer for high impact parts such as arms, bumpers, and shock towers; and what seems to be a glass filled nylon composite, which is used in areas where mechanical strength and rigidity are more important than toughness. I've done a few tests on both pre-X and X plastics, and both plastic types seem to be consistent in density, elasticity, elongation before break, and tensile strength from version to version.

I'm interested in hearing your side of the story, as I know you have materials science background, and would not simply throw a statement like that out in the open.
Its a proven fact that the X 4.6 series plastics are more brittle than the older 25 series plastics. HPI even says the forumla is lighter. If you wanted to upgrade the a arms to stronger ones the older a arms do not break near as easy.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Its a proven fact that the X 4.6 series plastics are more brittle than the older 25 series plastics. HPI even says the forumla is lighter. If you wanted to upgrade the a arms to stronger ones the older a arms do not break near as easy.
If it's a proven fact, show me a citation. I have not seen any documented tests on this forum or any other. Also, show me where HPI claims that the new plastics are less durable. I'm not discrediting your statement, just asking you to back up your claims.

I do agree that the new X arms are much less durable, but I feel this is related to the removal of material around the hinge pin area, and not the plastics used. I run original arms.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Dang, this thread has gone sour.[X(]

I really dont think SavageJim was trying to mislead anyone. He just simply stated that he liked his savage. Nothing wrong with that. I have seen plenty of posts from him, and he does not go around looking for a fight.

Now, having said that. The T-Maxx is the best of course
Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 PM
twomanytoys

Sorry. This has nothing to do with savage Jim. We made nice nice.

HPISavageRc,

I know you have not been around that long so you cant know how many posts and complaints there are about the new X arms. HPI even says New lightweight suspension arms deliver quick suspension response and reduce the critical sprung weight and overall weight of the truck. The a arms are completley different than the older style 25 arms. They do not hold up near as well as the older ones.