Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Monster truck VS. Truggy

Here you can post your choice (MT or Truggy) then your favorite model of both. Say what you like and dislike about your model and why. Please no wars[sm=48_48.gif] just opinions. Here are SOME of the pros/cons of them:

MONSTER TRUCKS:
    [sm=thumbs_up.gif]Pros.- *Ground Clearence *Wheelies/Stoppies *(Maybe) Reverse *Suspension Travel *(Most of the time)Hop-ups/parts
    [sm=thumbs_down.gif]Cons.- *Handling *Durability *Weight *Speed *No kits(rare) *Price

TRUGGYS:
    [sm=thumbs_up.gif]Pros.- *Handling *Durability *Weight *Speed *Race Readiness *Kits
    [sm=thumbs_down.gif]Cons.- *Price *Ground Clearence *Not as many parts available *Hard to Wheelie/ Stoppie *No reverse

All of these are Pros/Cons when compared to eachother. I would like to see how many people like MT's and Truggy's. They are hardly compareable, but close enough. I'm not wondering which is a better basher or racer. Unless you think one of your models is the best of either.
    Patience is not a virtue, it is a waste of time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Monster truck VS. Truggy

well you asked in the MT section so you KNOW the kind of answers you will be getting
    speed is all I need

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This thread is ridiculous. Nothing good will come of it. You know darn well, and said it yourself, they can't objectively be compared.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

truck.
    Staff of EngageRC<br>mailto:Support@EngageRC.com<b r>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In my own personal opinion, I don't think that having reverse is a pro. Whether your racing or bashing, if your good enough, you don't need reverse. Therefor its added weight and cost.
    I can actually tune an engine, and land 95% of my jumps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dgz69er

In my own personal opinion, I don't think that having reverse is a pro. Whether your racing or bashing, if your good enough, you don't need reverse. Therefor its added weight and cost.
    exactly. I never needed reverse and any trucks that I have that came with reverse was removed. This tread is useless because there is pros and cons with ALL rc's no matter if its MT, Truggy, Buggy or street cars. You cant compair a MT and a truggy. They are made for its own intended purposes. I have both and love both. I dont have a favorite. Its like asking which one of my sons if my favorite.
    The one with the most toys wins. I think I may have a good chance of winning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

-1 on this thread. You can not compare a Monster Truck to a Truggy. Its like comparing a touring car to a stadium truck, they are two completely different things. Just because they have big tires and bodies modeled after Trucks, does not make them similar.
    Current: AE FT RC10GT2, JR Z-1 Radio, Team Orion Wasp .12. Past: Tmaxx, Violator xxx-t mfe Rustler Matrix FRE Savage SS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm gonna stay out of this one for the most part but I've been looking at truggies lately and most aren't any lighter then a tmaxx or revo. Usually right around 9lbs.
    Tmaxx/Picco P3 .28/Futuba S9351 steering/RRP steel tranny/ MIP CVDs/ RPM arms/ FLM ext ice chassis/ RPM offset claws/mashers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll fuel the fire and say truck. Bigger badder and cooler looking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

monster truck here... My drivetrain is completely enclosed, so unlike truggys, there is no chance of getting a rock in the drivetrain and breaking stuff... truggys even have that convenient hole in the bottom to increase the odds (of rock induced carnage)

You cant put speed as a con on monster truck and pro on truggy... My losi XXL will blow lots of truggys out of the water on speed .... its all in the gearing and the motor... Oh yea, and TWO SPEED FTW!!!! Truggys are single speed, while most monsters have a two speed, which means better acceleration and top speed.... You cant compare a 1/10 scale MT ot a 1/8scale truggy and say the truggys faster... you need to compare it to a 1/8 scale monster truck like an LST2.....
    1/16 e-revo vxl, Mini LST2, Blade 120SR heli, Blade MSR heli, Blade MBCX heli, Slowstick, Minimag, DX7, DX3S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've never had a problem with my buggy or truggy "breaking" their drivetrain from rocks or debris.

Having owned monster trucks and truggies, I"d just get a truggy unless you're running in super rough areas where the ground clearance helps. Truggies don't flip over on its lid as often and they're more nimble. They are also just as tough, if not tougher. Plus they are more easier to work and clean since the layout is fairly simplified.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to say I like truggies more because of my past experience with monsters.But I wont say I havent wanted an lst2 or revo but at the track youd have to bew a good driver to compete mt's with truggies.I do like the 2 speed though.
    Hot Bodies = 1/2 price and 2 x the performance
    D8T- Nitrotec R21
    D8 Hara- Dynamite Red Head

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

better layout and handling depends on the truck. My lst xxl rarely flips off road, even with steering at high speed, and the layout is super easy to work on. I can have the diffs out un under 5 min with the removal of 6 screws, Truggys are made for the track, and are definitely superior to MT's on a groomed track, but in a real offroad environment, such as an open field, a MT will kick the snot out of a truggy....
    1/16 e-revo vxl, Mini LST2, Blade 120SR heli, Blade MSR heli, Blade MBCX heli, Slowstick, Minimag, DX7, DX3S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have both. As some have mentioned, truggies excel in handling while MTs excel in really rough terrain. You can take either out of their natural environment and have fun in the other environment, but it won't be as good then as what it's made to excel in. My MTs go over big rocks and obstacles when I'm really bashing. The truggy can handle smaller obstacles, but mostly by using their flat bottoms and momentum to push and slide themselves over those obstacles, which is why truggies get pretty scratched up on the bottom of their chassis. It depends on what your main intent/environment will be. Pick based off that to maximize the fun you'll get.

Also, about working on them...TVP-based MTs are more difficult to work on as access to many parts is a PITA. Flat chassis MTs are like truggies and much easier to work on. However, I think a TVP is a stronger platform for an MT.
    Hobbytown USA Torrance
    Your source for Kyosho/Tamiya/AE/Losi/HPI/Hot Bodies - 25359 Crenshaw Bl. - (310)325-6799

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dacaur

monster truck here... My drivetrain is completely enclosed, so unlike truggys, there is no chance of getting a rock in the drivetrain and breaking stuff... truggys even have that convenient hole in the bottom to increase the odds (of rock induced carnage)

You cant put speed as a con on monster truck and pro on truggy... My losi XXL will blow lots of truggys out of the water on speed .... its all in the gearing and the motor... Oh yea, and TWO SPEED FTW!!!! Truggys are single speed, while most monsters have a two speed, which means better acceleration and top speed.... You cant compare a 1/10 scale MT ot a 1/8scale truggy and say the truggys faster... you need to compare it to a 1/8 scale monster truck like an LST2.....

Actually your XXL will get absolutely smoked by a Truggy is a speed race... I am sorry to say that but the truck has absolutely zero chance... Truggys will also cover rough ground much better and faster, they also will handle better, brake better and jump better...pretty much the only thing a MT can do better is crawl over obstacles...other then that a Truggy is just in a different league....
    Neal Smith..owner Clockwork Racing Engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dacaur

better layout and handling depends on the truck. My lst xxl rarely flips off road, even with steering at high speed, and the layout is super easy to work on. I can have the diffs out un under 5 min with the removal of 6 screws, Truggys are made for the track, and are definitely superior to MT's on a groomed track, but in a real offroad environment, such as an open field, a MT will kick the snot out of a truggy....

Actually in a open rough field the Truggy will smoke the MT...truggies have better suspension and are much more stable, they can soak up the bumps much better without getting flipped on their lid..... You really have no idea what a Truggy is capable of. the truth is in any sort of performance contest the Truggy will make the MT look stupid and slow...........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

by the way a Truggy has the same ground clearance as a MT...the MT's skid plates are just as low as a Truggies bottom, so the MT really doesnt have any more true clearance......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With an MT though you can run much bigger wheels, adding not only to clearance, but flippability, etc... AND speed... I honestly don't know which is faster - my LST2, Savage, or RC8T. Top-end it's awful close between my LRP Spec 3 LST2 with enormous stock wheels, and the Savage XSS with Sportwerks 26, which is just crazy fast. I just don't know if the single-speed truggy would really win over say 50 yards from a stop..

Here's my LST2 from Sunday in the park..:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...01Version4.flv

That's a two-year old, never-had-a-diff-out LST2. Damage report: front bumper support(and OK, the wing mount is a bit warped... )

I got a truggy too, and like it - but it's for the track. I would never take my €1,000 RC8T to the park and hit a ramp at WOT over and over again like I do with my MT's...
    Nitro > stamp collecting, watching grass grow, cleaning room, etc.. > electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

With an MT though you can run much bigger wheels, adding not only to clearance, but flippability, etc... AND speed... I honestly don't know which is faster - my LST2, Savage, or RC8T. Top-end it's awful close between my LRP Spec 3 LST2 with enormous stock wheels, and the Savage XSS with Sportwerks 26, which is just crazy fast. I just don't know if the single-speed truggy would really win over say 50 yards from a stop..

Here's my LST2 from Sunday in the park..:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...01Version4.flv

That's a two-year old, never-had-a-diff-out LST2. Damage report: front bumper support(and OK, the wing mount is a bit warped... )

I got a truggy too, and like it - but it's for the track. I would never take my €1,000 RC8T to the park and hit a ramp at WOT over and over again like I do with my MT's...

You can put bigger tires on a Truggy as well...

I Have a older MBX5T for bashing ! i will keep the new Truggy for racing...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What all is different from a buggy to a truggy?

I know the arms are wider, but by how much?

Do they change the gearing in the axles for the bigger tires, or just a smaller bell/ bigger spur?

Anything else that is significant?

I may end up with some MT wheels and tires on the buggy I just bought if i run up on some for cheap as kind of a home made truggy
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

What all is different from a buggy to a truggy?

I know the arms are wider, but by how much?

Do they change the gearing in the axles for the bigger tires, or just a smaller bell/ bigger spur?

Anything else that is significant?

I may end up with some MT wheels and tires on the buggy I just bought if i run up on some for cheap as kind of a home made truggy

Length, width and gearing...... A Truggy is like an XXXL Buggy......... the gearing is pretty different, so running bigger tires likely will not work so well...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, i was wondering if the gearing could be made low enough on a buggy.

It'll be fine with buggy wheels anyways. Ill use the savage for the rough stuff and call it good[8D]
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bigger tires on a truggy can be an iffy thing, as we Muggy drivers know all too well... [:@]

Ha.. Naa..., I must admit, one of the most insanely fast RC's I seen was a budget ST-1 with LRP Spec 3, STS pipe, and some big dumb ugly chrome rimmed MT tires... It was stupid fast...(til the guy hit a stone garbage can... Now that was a spectacle...)
    Nitro > stamp collecting, watching grass grow, cleaning room, etc.. > electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would a buggy's stock suspension be wide enough to run MT rims and tires if the offset on the rims was right?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I doupt it... Buggies are so much smaller and narower...just enjoy the buggy as a buggy and when the time comes buy yourself a Truggy !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast