Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
kyle 9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think?

so i just got back from my LHS and i was talking to the guy. I asked him what i should get, since i am new to the hobby. He told me i should get electric. The thing is i dont really want electric i want nitro. He told me nitro could get to frustrating and can make me get mad. Personally i want nitro, i love the sound of it, and it just seems tougher.

I was looking around, and all they stock is traxxas. No HPI or anything. The guy told me i should either get the rustler, or slash. He said that they race the slashes stock, and he said the rustler wouldnt be able to compete in the 1/10 stadium truck league (compared to AE, Losi).

I wanted an HPI savge XL, but since they only stock traxxas, i would have to get the Revo 3.3, or T-maxx 3.3 (4908). Im alittle angry and disappointed. I thought i could just get a nitro as my first vehicle.

Please tell me what i should do, should i just get the slash, or should i still get a t-maxx or revo. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
The_Collector

Default RE: what do you think?

Nothing wrong with starting nitro. However, the LHS guy wasn't lying about the frustration. Nitro isn't as easy as plug-and-go electric. You will need to have some patience, especially when breaking-in the engine and adjusting the carb. Nitros are easier than ever to own. Most manufacturers have excellent manuals with their RTR nitro cars. If you follow the instructions and take the time, you will minimalize your frustration.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
kyle 9

ORIGINAL: The_Collector

Nothing wrong with starting nitro. However, the LHS guy wasn't lying about the frustration. Nitro isn't as easy as plug-and-go electric. You will need to have some patience, especially when breaking-in the engine and adjusting the carb. Nitros are easier than ever to own. Most manufacturers have excellent manuals with their RTR nitro cars. If you follow the instructions and take the time, you will minimalize your frustration.
thank you.. and thats what i thought. Since my LHS pretty much only carries traxxas, i would get the new t-maxx of the new revo, and doesnt traxxas give u a dvd on how to break-in the engine?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
The_Collector

I think all of them do include a DVD now. The Traxxas I had new, was a Nitro Stampede in '96 (there was only a black and white paper manual), and a T-Maxx Pro .15 around '00 (paper only).
Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
rclynx

You don't have to settle for Traxxas, I'm sure he would order in a Savage if thats what you want. Give him the Tower price and see if he will match it. I'm sure he will. You might get him interested in stocking another line.........you never know. He will make plenty of money on all the extras you will need and there are a lot of on-line shops that will supply you with parts if he won't.....if he is like me and a thousand other hobby shops he has parts coming in every couple of days, so ordering things for a Savage should be no problem at all. Don't let him use you to buy what he wants to sell, he is suppose to help you with what you want not what he wants you to have. Don't know where this world got twisted like this but it seems to be the norm rather than the exception [:@]
Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Nitro is frustrating, and learning to listen, look, and feel the engine for the sake of tuning does take some practice. But once you can master the basics of nitro, it is absolutely very fullfilling.

For me, I have it in my heast for things mechanical. That is why I prefer engines over motors.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 PM
DaveG55

For the Savage there's always Tower Hobby and/or several other reputable internet sites. You could also check around for different hobby shops locally. The one thing about buying what the local guy sells is that they will usually have parts on hand - and which ever you get, Traxxas, HPI, nitro, electric, whatever, parts will break.

My first powered model was a nitro powered line control airplane. I was 10 and did just fine with it. I'm sure you'll do fine with either nitro or electric as long as you realize that you're getting into a hobby, not buying a WalMart toy, there's a big difference in both attitude and the vehicles.

Good Luck
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
kyle 9

ORIGINAL: rclynx

You don't have to settle for Traxxas, I'm sure he would order in a Savage if thats what you want. Give him the Tower price and see if he will match it. I'm sure he will. You might get him interested in stocking another line.........you never know. He will make plenty of money on all the extras you will need and there are a lot of on-line shops that will supply you with parts if he won't.....if he is like me and a thousand other hobby shops he has parts coming in every couple of days, so ordering things for a Savage should be no problem at all. Don't let him use you to buy what he wants to sell, he is suppose to help you with what you want not what he wants you to have. Don't know where this world got twisted like this but it seems to be the norm rather than the exception [:@]
ya i know, but after seeing the t-maxx, i like the look of it, and as for the revo, well ive always liked that and seeing it for the first time in the body i like (white one). It looks mean. soo i dont really mind traxxas, when i was younger i was goin to get a t-maxx (the oldest one) , but for some reason i picked the guitar over it. So i have always liked traxxas.

if i got a t-maxx of revo, i would get the RPM a-arms and True-Track Rear A-arm Conversion Kit. How good of a truck would that be. Like compared to a savage. I dont want to start a vs. thread, so just tell me if that would make a nice truck . Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
tiemac

Nitro's can be frustrating. But once you get it going there's nothing like it. Some days it don't want to start without a hassle but one day of feeding my savage a half gallon of fuel running tank after tank (no battery's to charge) can make up for all the rough times. Once you learn the sound and feel of your Nitro its not hard to figure out what she needs to run right. Its just my opinion but I love Nitro's!!!!.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Same here. When I know I have mine tuned to the max and its tearing up my lawn (literally, I've got chunks of grass missing everywhere) pulling 100ft wheelies with the engine snapping at every input from the trigger it just puts a smile on my face. The sound/smoke/ and smell is just great. The learning curve is steep and requires patience, get whatever vehicle you like and don't go by what your LHS is limiting you to. When I still had my T-maxx running, I though the sound was cool and all. But now with a nice high revving big block the sound and smell is just great- I love everything about it. I also started nitro when I was 12, and started out with one of the worst tuning engines industry; that being a TRX 2.5. It was a pain in the butt getting that thing tuned, but it was very rewarding when the truck would run properly screaming down the street. Go for nitro!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
fabrimacator21

I think traxxas had some qc issues. I too started with the trx 2.5 in a tmaxx and loved it. Always held a tune and was very reliable. If they aren't broke in just right they can be real finicky. My brother and his buddy could never get thier 2.5 to run right but mine ripped.

Nitro can make a good first rc if you follow the manual and do your research. I was 16 when I got my tmaxx.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 PM
kyle 9

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

I think traxxas had some qc issues. I too started with the trx 2.5 in a tmaxx and loved it. Always held a tune and was very reliable. If they aren't broke in just right they can be real finicky. My brother and his buddy could never get thier 2.5 to run right but mine ripped.

Nitro can make a good first rc if you follow the manual and do your research. I was 16 when I got my tmaxx.
alright thank you. If i bought the revo or t-maxx, would i follow the break-in procedures in the manual or are they not good. I heard of different ways to break-in an engine. Would the one in the manual be a good way? Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
rcnitrohead

Maybe people swear by the heat cycle method. There are tons of variations and ways to do it, and it can easily be described with a quick search of the forums. I personally have used it on 3 engines and they all have run exceptionally well with long lasting results from it. I think what is most essential is giving the engine time to break in before tuning for performance and letter them rip. The length of break in depends on the quality of the engine (RTR engines require less) but I like to go easy on all of my engines for the first 10 tanks before touching the needles anyway.

Tom.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 PM
fabrimacator21

I broke in my trx engine by the manual and never had a problem but now that I know a little more, I use the heat cycle break in. Just makes sense as far as letting the metals hit a certain temp (usually 200-220) then cool down. But after your done with the heat cycle, go easy on it for the next 10 tanks, running rich. You want to give the motor plenty of time to work itself in before you start to really tune for performance and hammer on it. I broke my picco in using the heat cycle method and it still has a lot of pinch after running a gallon through it.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Fastsavage

Nitro is so much more that just going out bashing around, its tuning and combinations of fuel, plugs, carb settings - a heap more fun and enjoyment than electric. IMHO
Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 PM
kyle 9

ORIGINAL: Fastsavage

Nitro is so much more that just going out bashing around, its tuning and combinations of fuel, plugs, carb settings - a heap more fun and enjoyment than electric. IMHO
ya probably, but i could just come on here for the best fuel, and plugs. right? and if there is a good way of tuning the engine in the manual, and it come with a dvd, and i also have u guys to ask question with, dont u think it would be that bad getting nitro. And i totally agree, i love the sound of the nitro engine, and also the smoke. I would probably like the smell to, but i have never really experienced that yet. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 02-28-2009, 10:56 AM
rclynx

ya i know, but after seeing the t-maxx, i like the look of it, and as for the revo, well ive always liked that and seeing it for the first time in the body i like (white one). It looks mean. soo i dont really mind traxxas, when i was younger i was goin to get a t-maxx (the oldest one) , but for some reason i picked the guitar over it. So i have always liked traxxas.

if i got a t-maxx of revo, i would get the RPM a-arms and True-Track Rear A-arm Conversion Kit. How good of a truck would that be. Like compared to a savage. I dont want to start a vs. thread, so just tell me if that would make a nice truck . Thanks
Every truck on the market has its place, No matter what people say the T-max is a good looking truck and you can get the most bling for that then any other truck on the market. But no matter what you do to a T-max it will still just be a T-max. I'm not very much into Traxxas period but I do work on them quite a lot. If I were going to make a choice between a T-max and a Revo, no question at all it would be a Revo. Its some thing like T-MAX shows & REVO goes
Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the Savage XL, sell the engine new unused, and get yourself an LRP Spec 3.. When I think how paranoid about my engine I was at the beginning, I have to laugh.. For tuning, just make sure there's smoke, and that it sounds right.. You don't even have to be that experienced for that. Right sounds right - wrong sounds wrong.. You want nitro, so get it.. An XL with an LRP Spec 3 will be awesome.. Seriously awesome...

I personally prefer Losi, and the Losi engines are sssooo easy to use - AND have tons of power.. But the XL should be great... You've already come out and said what you want, and in this hobby, it's all expensive - no way around that - so given that, get what YOU want. Good luck...