new72Savage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Longest reported life of an engine

What is the longest life (measured in gallons) you have personally experienced (preferred), or a trust worthy source reported to you, with a nitro engine. And what engine was it.

Primarily interested in big blocks, but would be interested to hear how relative lives of small block compare to BB.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Alteramod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well the only engine that i have had so far has been a ofna .25 force engine and had about 2 and a little more gallons i would say threw it and it still is going, going great at that!
Old 06-12-2003, 06:02 AM
new72Savage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im about 2G into the .21BB on my savage, first nitro.

And i think i FINALLY got it tuned, if i can only fig. how to deal w/ az's 100+ temps. she runs like a champ at 270-300, but just too hot.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:08 AM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I heard from a couple strait shooters that got nearly 15 gallons out of their Rb C5's.

I personally have gotten 8+ gallons through a couple of my .247's, got around 7 gallons out of my Hyper .21's 4 and 8 ports.

The most I ever got out of a small block was 6 3/4 gallons out of my RBc-12.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an os .15 c-something in my hpi nitro rs4(first version) that has over 12 gallons of 15% nitro through it. The hpi .12 motor lasted abut 2 gallons and it had nowhere near the power of the os(.12 vs .15). I am very impressed with it so far and, although its much slower now, i hope it keeps going. I was thinking about an .18 or a trx2.5 next. This motor is sowing its wear with how hard it is to start and tune. Maybe it just needs a rebuild?
Old 06-12-2003, 01:10 PM
bigbadbowtie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a mach.15..... it has just over 6 gallons through it and it still runs great.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Legendary

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I have,

Well over 8 in my TRX Pro and 5-6 through my Duratrax Torq .21 and both are still going strong! There is no doubt that the C5 is a kick ***** engine but, I just can't see spending $450 or more for a pullstart version and when it comes time to re-build it what does it cost $150 or more for a piston and sleeve? You could buy 4-5 engines for that and have just as much fun or buy one and keep yourself in pistons and sleeves for 2-3 years!JMHO
Old 06-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All I know is my M16's start to go after a gallon.
And my 247 is just getting good after a gallon.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:11 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: I have,

Originally posted by Legendary
Well over 8 in my TRX Pro and 5-6 through my Duratrax Torq .21 and both are still going strong! There is no doubt that the C5 is a kick ***** engine but, I just can't see spending $450 or more for a pullstart version and when it comes time to re-build it what does it cost $150 or more for a piston and sleeve? You could buy 4-5 engines for that and have just as much fun or buy one and keep yourself in pistons and sleeves for 2-3 years!JMHO
LOL um ok, actualy you can get the piston and sleeve pinched, which actualy makes the engine run better, cause its a tighter fit, and I think it cost's about $25-35 to get it done, and I kinda agree you could buy such and such amount of engines for the price of this one, but with all of them put together still would not add up to the performance it has!! If you buy a cheaper engine you get cheaper performance, if you buy a $500 engine you get exactly what you pay for(a fire breathing, earth shaking POWERPLANT that more then likely cost's more than the car you put it in) If price is a big issue, then this is not the engine you want, but if you want to woop every car on the street or track this is your savior!!
Old 06-14-2003, 02:53 AM
new72Savage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thats it 8 replies? Is everyone outthere on this site on their first engine?
Old 06-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had over six gallons thru a Hyper Four port and it still ran good when I installed a new P/S.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:44 PM
RC_nutcase
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well lets see Duratrax torq .21 has 10 gallons still strong !!! love this cheapo motor set it and forget it starts on a pull or 2 every time

First TRX 2.5 didnt make it through break in 2nd TRX 2.5 is on gallon number 7 and runs like a raped ape but always tinkering with settings

.21 force 4 gallons so far good runner but hard to start from day one

.21 hyper 8 port 2 gallons wasnt impressed at all its toast

Had an M16 lasted 17 gallons then got run over by a dump truck

every time i spent money $150 plus for an engine i was nothing but dissapointed !!! im a back yard basher and take really good care of my stuff !!!! $100 (or close to it) engines are all i will buy from my experience i have WAY more fun and Way less agravation
Old 06-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Legendary

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default adeoliver,

Don't take this the wrong way! I know you get what you pay for but, unless you race or just have a big ego that engine is not for most! I know that a C5 or WS7 will smoke my truck running a cheap ***** .21 but it does the trick for me probably because there is not anyone else out here that runs MT's so, I don't have the keep up with the Jones complex!LOL Now if I raced I would want the best thing I could drop in there and cost would not be an issue but, when your like me and just bash around the local BMX track or the street or backyard I don't think I would get my money Worth out of a C5! JMHO
Old 06-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Plum Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had over six gallons thru a Hyper Four port and it still ran good.When I installed a new P/S it did run somewhat better.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:39 PM
creeping death

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

little over 2 gal. through my stock savage...runs great!
Old 06-16-2003, 10:21 AM
BUSH-MASTER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1.5 gallons on a 21bb savage then it was smoked i think i got a bad 1 installed picco 26 have a gallon thru that and its running mint
Old 06-17-2003, 03:45 AM
Alteramod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure one how many gallons have gone threw my maxx now but I would guess about 3-4 give or take some. I bought it used and it runns great untill 3/4 tank it gets to hot and stalls or just catches air bubbles and stalls, one or the other.... Im happy though
Old 06-17-2003, 04:04 AM
new72Savage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im getting the impression from the posts, that most people do not run their stock engine till its dead. Seems like most are pulling the stock motor after 2-3 gallons. Is this a fair observation.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:32 AM
Alteramod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I dont like to buy something if I already have one and it works fine IMO. Im just a back yard basher and soon a back out in the woods racer if you seen my other thread I just made.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:24 PM
titan53

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have 6 gallons through my TMAXX (.15 pro) Runs well, no horsepower though. Getting a .25 from XTM
Old 06-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Plum Crazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It depends on the engine that came stock. I bought one of the first Savages and it ran like a dog so after a gallon and no real improvement I tried a eight port but then I traded the eight port with the force 25 from My ofna buggy and I've been happier with both. The hyper 4 port that came in My Pirate is the engine I ran over six gals. thru so I guess I was happy with that one. My first generation T Maxx received a new Os 15 cv after a half gallon but still just sat untill recently when I installed that rebuilt Hyper 4 port and now I may run it some. The Pirate now has a Hyper 8 port. My EK-4 and Mad Force still have stock engines and I'm happy with both
Old 06-19-2003, 05:27 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got 4-5 gallons through a new TMAXX 2.5 before it started to lose performance. The only way the engine seemed to make good power though, was to tune it relatively hot (250-280). I suspect I might have gotten a gallon or two more if I could have gotten it to run cooler....

I am now running .21 OS RZVBO1 big block and am on gallon #4 running 25% nitro, with temperatures more along the lines of 220F-250F. MAX (measured accurately and frequently). The performance is as good now, as at any time during the previous 3 gallons, so I suspect I am around the engines half-life, perhaps less.

I personally attribute the higher volume of fuel, until engine failure, with the bigger displacement engines, compared to the small blocks, to a number of variables:
1. More fuel consumption=more lubrication.(a .21 goes through 150CC of fuel TWICE as fast as a .15!)
2. larger heat displacement due to larger heatsink design, and big blocks commonly have webbing around the block which works as a heat-sink.
3. The big blocks have the ability run at 100% potential while maintaining a cooler temperature(200-250) where the .12-.15 seem to constantly be running close to 300F when making their full power

Of course these are just my observations. I intend to try one of the RB products next, either the WS7 or the C5. I don't have a problem believing a .21 with the proper tune (200F-250F.MAX)could run 15 gallons. At the same time I don't think 4-5 from the 2.5 is bad either.

Personally I always simply replace the piston/sleeve/rod and maybe crank at engine rebuild time. The bearings on the Connecting rod cannot be replaced and if they are worn they need to be replaced to get max. performance. Re-sizing maybe works for some but nothing works as well as a new OE piston set. Besides of course the piston/sleeve is the most expensive part of the engine-it the most important, and highest tech part of the engine!
Old 06-25-2003, 02:58 PM
shadow master

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

o.s. rz-01bp year and a half old, about 12 gallons though it, still like new.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:49 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your right!

As displacement doubles.. surface area (the part that needs to be oiled) only doubles!!
(this changes greatly with the borexstroke configuration)

So you pretty much have a lot more oil/fuel coming in to cool/smooth a smaller surface.

Also the .21s should (but not really) develop more torque thereby reducing the number of RPMs required to develop power.

Why is a diesel so great? Cuz it develops max torque at like 2200 RPM and less RPM=less fuel consumption!

Great isnt it!!

ram
Old 09-02-2003, 09:14 PM
ShelbyGT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought an HPI RS4 (original) and the guy i bought it off of ran it every weekend and it lasted 3 yrs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service