Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

recommendations for a newbie (again!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

recommendations for a newbie (again!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendations for a newbie (again!!)

Hello all, i was into R/C trucks and cars a while back and quit right around the time Traxxas came out with the 3.3 Revo/T-maxx. A buddy and me picked up a couple of old T-maxx's for next to nothing and after going through them and cleaning them up and replacing wore out parts were just about ready to go. We have had the engine's running inside (both are the old 2.5's not 2.5R's) and the one seems pretty tired and wore out, not a lot of compression left, and the other is not far behind..... fair enough we were warned the engines were pretty used up. LAst time around the main reason i quit was because of the tuning aspect of the engines, i had a heck of a time getting them to run consistently well without heating up and i tried lots of stuff.

Finally to my question....... what engine do you recommend for ease of use. I don't mind spending a little more to get a little more piece of mind. I fly R/C planes and use mainly OS engines there......

thanks

Geoff
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM
TGreg

Default RE: recommendations for a newbie (again!!)

3.3's
Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
rclynx

Get that 2.5R its a great little engine, just be careful leaning it out after break in [&o] they like to over heat a little but they screammmmmmmmmm Oh and they have a good exchange program for the engines also [&:] -ONLINE-or-LHS [:-]
Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
MMT GUNS

I have a T-Maxx classic with an O.S .18CVRX I bought that engine back in 2003 and still running strong check my video out.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9kJ0-2HKUc]T-Maxx[/link]
Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
yoster

To be honest, all the 3.3 issues of running hot and whatnot seems to be resolved by using Byron fuel. Seriously; my brother-in-law and I dealt with annoying Revo overheating issues until we switched to Byron.. and it just seemed to fix everything. I've also heard the same thing from SEVERAL other 2.5/2.5r/3.3 users.

I haven't personally ran byron in any of my vehicles yet (I use o'donnell), but when my current fuel runs out I think I'll definitely be trying it out.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
R/C Lightweight

Get a NOVA race head on a 2.5 engine and your overheating issues will dissapear. You'll see an amazing difference. I personally think that the TRX 2.5 engines are better than the TRX 3.3. Maybe not power wise, but tuning and consistency are better IMO. I've had both, and like the 2.5 much better.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM
MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: R/C Lightweight

Get a NOVA race head on a 2.5 engine and your overheating issues will dissapear. You'll see an amazing difference. I personally think that the TRX 2.5 engines are better than the TRX 3.3. Maybe not power wise, but tuning and consistency are better IMO. I've had both, and like the 2.5 much better.

Where can I get them NOVA heads?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
R/C Lightweight

My brother-in-law got his from our LHS real cheap. I see a few on eBay for the TRX 3.3, but not for the TRX 2.5(R) right now. Just keep your eyes open, they are quite popular.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 PM
carmaniac627

get a red dot picco 26 maxx, that is about the fastest engine you can get for a tmaxx