Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Making Savage 2 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 02:17 AM
Bacchuss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Savage 2 wheel drive

I wonder if you could take out the dog bone that goes to the front differential and the ones that go to the wheels and make it 2 wheel drive. Has anyone tried this? If its possible i bet that thing could do some good donuts.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Alteramod

Yes just take out the one that leads to the front diffs and if you want go ahead and take out the ones going to the front tires. Dont know if it will hert the truck at all by doing this or not but hey go ahead if you want
Old 06-13-2003, 02:23 AM
Bacchuss

guess we never know til we try whether its going to break something or not.....i'll let the new wear off of it b4 i go breaking it :-)
Old 06-13-2003, 03:49 AM
new72Savage

Yeah it hauls ass. I did a post on this, search for it. i busted out both front dog bones and didnt realized it. I kept wondering why i had to hold the wheel turned to the right to keep it straight at WOT (ever driven a posi car!?! same thing happens, back kick out to the right)

Let me tell u it will literally smoke the tires in doughnuts on black top. I thought maybe it was the beginning of a new RC sport....burn out competitions!! I asked if they already have these, but nowone replied to that aspect of the post.

But i would be careful cuz 2x4 driving really winds out the stock .21BB.

Try it for a little while, def. worth the effort to pull out the dog bones, you 'll have fun for a while.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:43 PM
Unstable

the only problem comes in stopping... you lock the back wheels and it slides.... and slides.... and slides... and *BANG* oh.. hit the wall, its stopped now.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:49 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Haha.. thats true.

But I guess the Savage doesnt have a mid differential? (sorry dont have a MT).

Hmm.. wait yeah my SS did that. Damn I cant even remember if it had a center diff..lol

IF you can control it.. try this.

Go kinda fast.. slightly turn left or right.. then hit the brakes SLIGHTLY until the car fishtails and turns 180* going backwards.

Now SLAM on the gas and you'll get a nice burnout!
I actually got some nice smoke outta my car! But this was on a slightly smooth surface. (new asphalt, cement).

It didnt work on normal/old asphalt. There was too much debris and it lost traction.

Donuts were fun too but I couldnt get that much smoke that way.

But the funniest part was when I Was doing this and somehow one of my tires fell off (lug nut came loose).

The car went WOT all of a sudden and I picked it up by the chassis. Somehow my finger came in LIGHT contact with the spur gear (at WOT!). It made a NICE clean deep arse cut in my finger.

But this was winter and I couldnt feel it immediately. But when I shifted to move my finger.. the 280 degree heatsink hit my forearm!.

I was like.. thats it.. stuck my finger on the exhaust.. burnt my finger again.. slightly but at least I stopped the car.. and that was the last time I drove without a failsafe! lol

Anyway sorry got carried away with the lil story lol.
ram
Old 06-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Rex2342

Won't making it rear wheel drive put more stress on the rear diff???
Old 06-14-2003, 02:52 AM
new72Savage

I would think it would put more stress on the whole rear drive train as the front would no longer absorb any torque. When mine was running 2wd i would say it picked up 5-7 mph. Id like to see a stock tmaxx vs a stock 2wd savage on pavement.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:02 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Yes its recieving more stress but considering that there is no actualy "transfer" of torque.. its not too bad.

I'm guessing that the front dogbone socket is still spinning right?

I wonder.

If you get an open center differential, and LOCK the front side, this will cause the rear wheels to turn TWICE as fast.

This will place a huge amount of stress on the center diff if left this way, but there should be a huge jump in top speed! (and a correlative drop in acceleration).

Stupid.. but an interesting idea nevertheless eh? lol

ram