Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

What kind of engine sealer do you use?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

What kind of engine sealer do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:20 AM
svroddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of engine sealer do you use?

Ive seen the thread of the copper rtv silicone. But while looking up info about sealing engines I came across the duratrax website that says to stay away from silicone sealers, that they can cause corosion on metal and aluminum. Anyone hear about this? What are some other sealers out there? I do have some permatex high temp rtv silicone gasket maker, red tube. But have second thoughts after reading about the corrsion. So what do you all use? Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 AM
rclynx

Default RE: What kind of engine sealer do you use?

Ive seen the thread of the copper rtv silicone. But while looking up info about sealing engines I came across the duratrax website that says to stay away from silicone sealers, that they can cause corosion on metal and aluminum. Anyone hear about this? What are some other sealers out there? I do have some permatex high temp rtv silicone gasket maker, red tube. But have second thoughts after reading about the corrsion. So what do you all use? Thanks
WOW thats the first I have ever heard of silicon doing that and I have used a simular type just like you have since 1974 [&:] The curing process can have some very slite effects as far as corosion but nothing serious enough to hurt anything that has as much lubrication in it like a nitro engine There are some better qualified products for sealing on the nitro engines such as the RCE10115 carb sealant and many others. I think in the case of the claim made that you read about silicon sealant the old saying that you should believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see should apply But if thats the case then what I've just told you is redundent.......LOL............do a little more research before you condem anything. Specially on any public forums good luck and HAPPY RC'en
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
svroddy

Ya thats why I was asking for you guys advice I didnt state it as a fact. Just got me curious. Thanks for the advice Ill go ahead and use what I got.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:18 PM
dacaur

it depends on the type of silicon. some silicons are whats known as "acid cure", which is the type you want to stay away from. If it smells like vinegar when you squeeze it out, its acid cure. The other type, known as "neutral cure" are fine to use, as it wont corrode metals or electronics.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:01 AM
svroddy

Good info, yea the one I have smells just like vinegar. Do you know of one I can pick up at auto store or something? I read if they say "sensor safe" there ok to use?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:36 AM
dacaur

right.