Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

watery grave.......or so i thought

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

watery grave.......or so i thought

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Unstable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default watery grave.......or so i thought

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
Haha..
Well it is actually possible to drive right next to some of the golf courses I've seen over here..

For the record.. water actually does NOT conduct electricity.. its the impurities in water that do!
Maybe he hit a lake fi;lled with distilled water?!

I guess maybe the water never got to the ecu in the servos/rx?

Anyway. .thats one heck of a story but I'm with Todd in that a nice failsafe PCM radio can stop the truck dead on its tracks if it loses connectivity.
Only.. I left my rx on overnight and it burnt out the servo because it was trying to hold 35% brake all night! lol

ram
there is a golf course in my area that if you stop the car and walk 3 feet you will be standing on the green of one of the holes.

also with water.

I have had 3 RXs and many servos and a speed control "take a dive" before and have recovered most of them and they still work.

first off when they are in the water the batt will probably be shorted so you dont have to worry about them as they arent getting power (you might kill the bettery though) if you take them and power it off immediatly then drain/dry/clean them thouroughly you can usually save them. water itself doesnt hurt them its the shorting of the components that hurts it so if you clean everything out before you apply power you should be fine.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:58 PM
8000ft

actualy i believe that a return spring would work if the batteries died/power loss. that is what i am going to try so that i don't have to go swimming again.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 8000ft
actualy i believe that a return spring would work if the batteries died/power loss. that is what i am going to try so that i don't have to go swimming again.

Of course it would have. If you have a power loss or any other kind of failure, like the loss of signal, you no longer have 110oz of force to over come as the servo would just die in place, in other words, THERE IS NO MORE PULL!, at that point the servo can easily be returned to neutral with a TR spring. To have a servo fail at "full pull" and remain in pulling mode is extremely rare, I've only seen it once when a servo got water in it from a wet lawn and puddle, even then it went to about 25% throttle. Your on the right track.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:24 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

I simply use the lock washer provided with my Hitec servos, and some blue lock tight for the servo arms....I havent had a single one come loose with this yet. Also I use a zip tie to make sure my battery CANNOT come disconnected, with these two mods and a PCM radio, I dont worry at all.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:24 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Originally posted by Avalanche
Of course it would have. If you have a power loss or any other kind of failure, like the loss of signal, you no longer have 110oz of force to over come as the servo would just die in place, in other words, THERE IS NO MORE PULL!, at that point the servo can easily be returned to neutral with a TR spring.
YOU GUYS HAVE OBVIOUSLY LOST YOUR MINDS. When you shut off power to your receiver your servos maintain their last known postition per your last input from the transmitter. Try this.... Turn on your radio, apply full throttle, and shut off your receiver at the same time as holding full throttle. IF YOU DID THIS CORRECTLY (as i imagine it would be pretty difficult not to) you will notice that the throttle reamains wide open.

AND I WILL ALSO QUOTE THE MANUAL FOR BREAK IN ON A SAVAGE. Which mind you comes stock with a TRS. "Ensure your receiver is turned off and adjust the servo arm to apply enough throttle to keep the wheels slowly spinning." Well if your "THEORY" is correct then in this scenario you would have to keep your finger on the the servo arm to maintain that throttle setting.

THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:32 PM
8000ft

TUMBLEWEED try what you just said" turn on your radio then pull trigger to wfo , then shut off the power on your truck ,then try to turn the throtle servo....pretty easy to turn right?
Old 06-17-2003, 07:41 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

The discrepency is that the trucks power supply to the servos was lost.....not the signal...
Old 06-17-2003, 08:22 PM
wannabeturbo

If you have both, you cant go wrong. So there, quit arguing about it.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

never mind......
Old 06-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

hey , stumble weed, who you calling an idiot, and stop yelling will ya
Old 06-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Had a bit of insight, i know how it works and if your not fortunate enough to be able to understand such a simple concept I'm very sorry for you guys. But if you try what I said you will see I'm correct. Sorry for the name calling and the yelling. I edited the post for those of you who didn't see it.

Sorry Buz^ if you took offense. Just get a little excited after a 14 hour work day.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

no prob. tum-weed, I posted that as a goof anyhow, just trying to stear this thread in a diff direction as im afraid it's all trolling anyhow
Old 06-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Unstable

kids! dont make me pull this thread over to the side of the road!

just to clarify things a bit with my expierience.

a TRS does not have the power to pull the servo arm back to closed throttle.

all the ones I have seen are pretty small and only will work if the linkage fails.

now as for servos and power and such

a standard servo.

if it is not recieving signal will not try to correct and will essentially shut off even if power is still applied.

some digitals will go into "failsafe" if they loose signal but not power they will hold the last position that they were told to (unless programed otherwise)

a RX will stop sending a signal to the servos if it is not recieving something from the TX. the exception is PCM and failsafe.

the failsafes you attach to the throttle monitor the servo pulses sent out by the RX. even if the servo is not to move there is still a steady pulse going out. if this stops (or essentially flatlines) the servo saver sends its own pulse to the servo telling it to go to the programed position. the drawback is that it needs power to do this. so if the battery goes so does the failsafe.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:29 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

LAst time I checked.. a servo doesnt have THAT much power when the power is off..
YES it does stay in the "last postition it stopped before it lost power"..

But the last TRS I had had the power to move the throttle servo when it was dead..
Otherwise whats the point of the spring?

When power dies.. the TRS moves the servo and the arm linkages and stops when the brake's friction makes it stop pulling and thereby also BRAKING the car to a halt.
Yes the servo will have to fight this 15-20 oz worth of force.. but its a small price to pay and not much of a worry when you have 100 oz + at your fingertips!

Am I right? Any flaws?

Try to remember that this is a HOBBY.. NOT A PROFESSION!
We make mistakes and learn.. and then make the same mistake again!

-ram
Old 06-18-2003, 04:38 PM
wannabeturbo

I dont think there is a question about whether a TRS will pull a servo without power, but its the RX that has lost contact with the TX thats the question. In that scenario, then the servo just stays in the last known position, even with a TRS, because the servo still has power going to it. Which is why i say, use both a TRS, for when you lose power or your bell comes off your servo, then have a failsafe for when you RX loses contact with your TX. Although, most failsafes monitor voltage and if your RC's battery supplies drops below a certain voltage, then it will also engage. Its the sudden shorting out from getting water in it, or whatever else may cause the batteries to go dead suddenly. This is only my opinion, but it makes alot of sense.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
LAst time I checked.. a servo doesnt have THAT much power when the power is off..
YES it does stay in the "last postition it stopped before it lost power"..

But the last TRS I had had the power to move the throttle servo when it was dead..
Otherwise whats the point of the spring?

When power dies.. the TRS moves the servo and the arm linkages and stops when the brake's friction makes it stop pulling and thereby also BRAKING the car to a halt.
Yes the servo will have to fight this 15-20 oz worth of force.. but its a small price to pay and not much of a worry when you have 100 oz + at your fingertips!

Am I right? Any flaws?

Try to remember that this is a HOBBY.. NOT A PROFESSION!
We make mistakes and learn.. and then make the same mistake again!

-ram
Are you Right???? NO, ENITRELY WRONG!! I'm just kidding. Let me know what brand it was and I'll invest in one of those. That is if you can remember the brand. Which shouldn't be so hard seems how this is such a miraculously strong spring. Imagine that...... a TRS that actually works. HAHA, they must be making a fortune off these things.
(Take this lightly,