Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default watery grave.......or so i thought

short story for ya
i have a new golf course near my house with plenty of construction obstacles to play on,so i went out yesterday for some fun. i started my truck up with the 2nd pull(normal) blipped the gas a couple of times and every thing seemed normal so i put the body on and off i went. then it happened, the on board radio shut off and i had a run away. it "remembered" its last position,WFO straight ahead. in no time at all it was up to top speed and heading for a green post (like you would see on the side of the road). well it hit it and flipped and cartwheeled several times and i thought "good maybe this will stop it" but no it landed on its feet and took of i a different direction. flying across the road with its front wheels barely touching the ground it headed for the 15th tee box. it cleared the 10foot wide tee flipped a few more times and took of down the 15th fair way. i yelled over to the couple that was trying to tee off till i interrupted them"did you see which way it went?"and they pointed down the fair way. by now it was clear to me that i couldn't catch this thing on foot so i went back for my car. i came around the corner along the 15 fair way and there it was......no not my car....a lake.
i stopped by the lake and started to walk down to the edge. there were a few construction guys near by laughing hysterically so i asked the obvious question "did you see which way it went?". they couldn't even stop laughing, one guy just pointed down. i walked to the edge where i thought it may have gone in and there they were,two tell tail tire tracks about 10feet from the bank. well i went home and put on a pair of shorts and returned to lake. now where i live the lakes are filled with "snow melt run off" so i knew that this couldn't be good for what must have been a spectacular launch with a very hot engine. HOLY CRAP THIS IS COLD!!!" i exclaimed as i got in to the 35 degree water. i couldn't see any thing so i just felt around with my feet. after about 10minuets i felt a tire, dove under and pulled it to the surface. i expected to see my truck in pieces but upon inspection all that was wrong was one missing screw from the front right turn buckle. i was sure to find more damage when i would get home and take a closer look,like a cracked block or head from the sudden temperature change. i cleaned every thing up and fixed the on board switch thinking to my self "why bother this thin will never fire up again anyway" all dried out and fresh nitro....here we go.... i began to pull and thought"man this piston is tight...bent con rod??" 20 or so pulls later it came to life. i put the top on and began to drive it around for a few minuets. it of course was running like crap, it idled ok but no mid or top end. then it dawned on me...i still had the same gas in it. so i dumped out the old and put in fresh every thing seemed to be ok so i let it rip. "HOLY CRAP THIS ENGINE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH POWER BEFORE" i thought to my self the needles must be messed up so i brought it in and checked the temp. WHAT THE HELL!!! its running great and my temps have dropped by almost 30degrees!!
now i wouldn't recommend this "hop up" for any one else but it worked for me and the only thing damaged was a 30 cent screw and the nerves of two frightened golfers.
thanks for listening to my tale of panic and dismay.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Rex2342

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Didn't your servo's get ruined or your reciever???Did you take the engine apart and oil everything?Some engines run best just before they blow up.I'd take the whole engine apart and check everything and oil it up really good just to be sure.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:47 PM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i took off the air filter and glow plug and then sprayed wd40 down the carb while pulling on the pull start and holding it upside down....alot of wd40...then took off the servos and receiver and sprayed them down with electrical cleaner, oiled every thing up including a couple drops of after run oil in the carb and down into the cylinder. started it up and prayed. i figure that if any thing internal was damaged it would blow up soon after starting it (if it did i was hoping for something spectacular,but so far nothing).
Old 06-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Avalanche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What kind of truck was this and why arent you running a Throttle reutn spring?
Old 06-14-2003, 07:31 PM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it is my traxxas nitro hawk, all stock, original everything
i've never had any sort of trouble with this truck, this one just sort of popped up and bit me in the a--. and yes a return spring and a radio interference control module is in the near future.
i just thought it was a funny story that others could learn from.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:26 PM
niffken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

throttle return spring?? How is that spring going to pull 111 oz to close my carb. throttle return only works if you lose the screw on the servo bell.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:18 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! run away car stories are the best, I've heard some good ones. Thats one of the best!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:41 PM
petrolpixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i really dont believe this story. because 1) what green keeper or people playing golf would let you run a nitro car on a golf course? 2) you took ur real car on to the fairway??? yeah right and 3) you said that you put fresh nitro in then u said that u remembered that u still had the old fuel in it.. make up ur mind which one was it?
Old 06-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Legendary

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default The,

TRS works if you lose power to the servos and it work good to! If you want to save your truck from both (Dead batteries and linkage coming lose) you need both the TRS and a good Fail Safe!

I still can't belive that he did not smoke any servos or the RX while in the drink!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:02 PM
gmac4826

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a fail safe could have saved you the trouble
Old 06-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Avalanche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by niffken
throttle return spring?? How is that spring going to pull 111 oz to close my carb. throttle return only works if you lose the screw on the servo bell.
When you lose the radio signal the servo is no longer "Pulling" the only time your servo is pulling is when it is seeing the signal from the transmitter. Once it loses the signal or power, the servo will go right back to neutral if you have a spring to help it back. If your servo shorts out and goes to "full pull" no spring or failsafe on the planet will help you. That being said, a throttle return sounds like it would have helped here and is cheap insurance.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:12 AM
gmac4826

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes i agree with the servo shorting out but the fail safe would have saved his car from taking off. therefore it would have never hit the lake. the servo would have shorted when it hit the lake but the problem occurred waaaay before that.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:40 AM
Avalanche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by gmac4826
yes i agree with the servo shorting out but the fail safe would have saved his car from taking off. therefore it would have never hit the lake. the servo would have shorted when it hit the lake but the problem occurred waaaay before that.
This seems like a simple case of losing the transmitter signal or interference. In which case either would have worked.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:30 AM
DSA.308

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went straight for the PCM radio signal with failsafe rather than even trust a failsafe alone...but thats me.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:03 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

like in the movies eh
Old 06-16-2003, 03:22 PM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

honest this is a true story.
i re-read it and rearized that i did have the fuel thing in there twice.
sorry i put fresh fuel in after i realized that i left the old stuff in.
and i was NEAR a new golf course not on it.(i wasn't on it till after the truck became a run away.)
sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:28 PM
DSA.308

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the record- water doesnt do a thing to electronics unless you are stupid enough to turn them on while they still have moisture inside them! You can dry servos, RX'S, laptop computers, etc. by placing the parts on a cookie sheet in the oven at a SUPER LOW temp with the door slightly cracked until the moisture has evaporated off.

Sorry, I cannot be resposible for stupid people, it does work, and yes it can also ruin things too.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:25 AM
petrolpixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

but u took ur real car on the fairway???? can anyone say lies?? *cough,as if,cough*
Old 06-17-2003, 05:32 AM
DSA.308

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the way most old golf courses were layed out, driving along side the fairways would be a bit tough....but I will admit alot of the new golf courses in Yuppieville USA are in neighborhoods with the houses back yards to the playing surfaces, and some actually do have residential streets going through the course...... B

But I would have a tough time believing anyone would drive down the fairways, while people are playing golf, and not get sent to jail though.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:35 AM
petrolpixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

aha!!!! someone else sees my point. i once got the hell blasted out of me for riding a push bike on a golf course when no one was on it so thats why i dont believe the car bit
Old 06-17-2003, 05:37 AM
DSA.308

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea, those golf types are WAY up tight. Makes me want to rip the greens up with a motocross bike late at night doing doughnuts! While drunk! On whisky....and acid!
Old 06-17-2003, 05:38 AM
petrolpixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hehehehe i have had those exeact thoughts too
Old 06-17-2003, 12:41 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Haha..
Well it is actually possible to drive right next to some of the golf courses I've seen over here..

For the record.. water actually does NOT conduct electricity.. its the impurities in water that do!
Maybe he hit a lake fi;lled with distilled water?!

I guess maybe the water never got to the ecu in the servos/rx?

Anyway. .thats one heck of a story but I'm with Todd in that a nice failsafe PCM radio can stop the truck dead on its tracks if it loses connectivity.
Only.. I left my rx on overnight and it burnt out the servo because it was trying to hold 35% brake all night! lol

ram
Old 06-17-2003, 03:05 PM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

again i said that i was NEAR a golf course. i did not have any intention of going on it.(can you say "run-a-way")and this is a new development of homes. it is built so that everyones back yard IS part of the course,therefor yes the streets do at some points parallel the fairways.
but this petty bickering wasn't the point of my story.
it was supposed to be a funny 'oops' of the many countless hours of trouble free fun that i have had, and a "don't let this happen to you" story.
i am truly sorry that you guys couldn't have been here to see it for your self, come to think of it you weren't here so how can you possibly know what the layout of the course is or how i cleaned my truck afterward to get it running again?
Old 06-17-2003, 03:23 PM
niffken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: The,

Originally posted by Legendary
TRS works if you lose power to the servos and it work good to! If you want to save your truck from both (Dead batteries and linkage coming lose) you need both the TRS and a good Fail Safe!

I still can't belive that he did not smoke any servos or the RX while in the drink!
I repeat A throttle return spring cannot move 111 oz of torque. The only time a throttle return spring works is when the servo bell screw comes thus the bell flying off as well.

A fail safe on the other hand will work until the bell screw comes off then thats where the throttle return pring kicks in. My point is that you need both fail safe and return spring.

The fail safe stops run aways by applying the brakes and closing the carb. IT does this by moving the servo bell. Now if the servo bell is gone.broke how is a fail safe going to work? THis is when the throttle return speing closes the carb and then hopefully you nitro slows down in time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service