Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Dirt Demon~Part 4 (part 1 revisited)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Dirt Demon~Part 4 (part 1 revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 06:25 AM
rookie t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Demon~Part 4 (part 1 revisited)

I posted a little video to, 3.3mb, .mov format

http://www.timheit.com/rc_stuff/dirt_demon01_web02.mov

So in short these are the issues i have run into:

1. front universal joint/dog bone falls out #70215

2. the rear suspension arm split #70297

3. called Hot Bodies left message withTech Support (June 9th, 2003)

4. called Hot Bodies left message withTech Support (June 10th, 2003)

5. called Hot Bodies left message withTech Support (June 11th, 2003)

6. called Hot Bodies left message withTech Support, and ordered broken parts(June 12th, 2003)

7. removed and rebuild the shocks 4 out of the 8 had lose nuts #70252. repaired other parts

8. engine mount to far from spur gear

9. one way bearing seat goes out (#28440 or #28439)

10. now i think the front & rear differential are out. Basically if i give it gas the tires don't spin.

I added a longer description to tanks 7-11 below. Some of you already read tanks 1-6

This is not RTR

Tank 1: idled to empty tank, then turned the flywheel so that the piston was in the lower portion of the piston sleeve. My thinking was that it should not cool down it the TDC, because that is the were the most compression is.

Tank 2 & 3: same

Tank 4: never floored it, just blip, blip, blip, and a couple of back & forth at middle throttle.

Tank 5: Full throttle, it's now a truck.

Tank 6: This is were the fun comes in , as i was walking and driving to a empty parking lot, my front dog bone fell out. I was not aware of this until it went crashing into a curb. No I did not do it on purpose i just could not stop it. Why you ask, because the f---ing batteries that came with it suck, they were dead. So the verdict of the crash, my rear suspension arm split at the molding seam; were the pin connects it to the frame. (I'll post pics later) one of the rear shocks leaked, because of the bolt that holds the rubber thing was finger tight. And i lost one of those retarded body pins(PLEASE SOMEONE MAKE SOME BETTER BODY POST). Now i am pissed, as I'm walking back to my place i see and front universal joint/dog bone laying on the ground hey, did anyone lose a DB. Son of gun it's mine. Now i am foaming at the mouth. How did this thing fall out, the dog bone was bent and the pins the hold the u-joint together fell out somewhere.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tank 7: I repaired the u-joint#70215, and epoxied the upper suspension arm #70297. While the parts were on back order(2-3 weeks). I figured i might actually get to run this thing; wrong. The clutch bell was not close enough to the spur gear, so it made this load whizzing sound. Solution: move engine closer, my allen wrench stripped out the bolt, so i had to get that cut out at L.H.S.(Madd Maxx Hobbies in Phoenix.)

Tank 8 & 9: O.k. now i am going to drive this thing. It seemed to run fine, I'm not sure about the shifting never hear second gear.

Tank 10: The one-way bearing seat (Addendum#28440) or #28439 in manual goes out. So i took it out and played with it, if you get it to lock it is good into it is turned in the free wheel direction.

Tank 11: This is the winner, the front and rear differential goes out. That's my best guess, the clutch engages, and the center dog bones spin#70302 & #70303. i guess it could be the dog bone nut stripped #70204. This is where i draw the line, this is more than " that's the way this hobby goes."
Old 06-16-2003, 06:28 AM
rookie t

Oh and by the way, i still have not heard from HB Tech support.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:27 PM
mercenario27
My Feedback: (2)

You'll never hear from them. HB has the worst Customer Service. I bought a HB .18 motor last winter 2002 and it died after 10-15 tanks. I left 15 phone messeges, wrote 5 letters, and emailed them 30+ times and never heard a peep from HB. Rumor has it HPI bought HB spring of 2002. Made if you called them you may ruffle some feathers. I'm Sure HPI will not address the problem, but it may get someone in trouble over at HB
Old 06-16-2003, 09:29 PM
maxxdaddy74

Sounds like a another example of rushing to get something on the shelves to compete with the Maxx and Savage. Just cut your losses and buy a Savage.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:32 AM
rookie t

Hot Bodies is going to replace the truck with a new one.

Keep you guys posted
Old 06-18-2003, 02:08 AM
maxxdaddy74

Hope its a Savage they're sending you.