Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Thats it.......Tmaxx 2.5.....Very Concerned

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Thats it.......Tmaxx 2.5.....Very Concerned

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 02:44 PM
phil313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thats it.......Tmaxx 2.5.....Very Concerned

If I get another person telling me it always stalls then I am cancelling my order! Could you reply if you own a 2.5 Tmaxx and tell me if your having stalling problems? I plan on using this for lengthy distances and if it stalls all the time I don't want it!!! What it boils down to is stalling is my biggest concern. I don't feel like chasing the truck everywhere!!!

Thanks for replying!
Old 06-12-2003, 03:31 PM
superchomper200

I have a t-max 2.5 and it has had about a gallon and 1/2 run threw it and for about the first 10 tanks it did try to stall out a lot like all the time and after that i tried to tune it over and over it helped a littel bit but not much it is very hard to tune without a temp gun.

I didn't think i was going to get it and was pretty mad cus i cant afford a new engine like the sirio .18 cum im onl 16 years and it took me a wile to save up to buy the truck but i finnally bought a on board temp guag at my local hobby shop and it made a hug difference!!!!!!! From that point on a begain tuning it and whith a temp gun its not that hard at all and the stalling went away it now runs great i never have any probs and i can get wheelies on demand.

Trust me get an on board temp guag and everything will change pm me if you need any help or tips.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:38 PM
superchomper200

Here is another tip for ya go ahead and break it in on the traxxas fule it thats what u were planning on using [I used monster horspower 20%] But after the first gallon i started running air plane fuel called cool power 15% and it ran better than the recomended traxxas fuel or the monster horspower racing fuel it ran much more consistent and never stalled or cut my engine ran a lot cooler so i could lean it out more so that was great, and the fuel is a lot cheaper like $13.99 compared to $23.99.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:42 PM
superchomper200

Also everyone that races at my local track there are like 20 of them with t-max 2.5 and not a one of them have any problembes with there engines after they tuned them with temp guages.

I kinda think that the only people that talk about there t-max 2.5 are the people that have problembs cus why would anybody else need to? That may be why it appeares that everyone is haveing trouble with them when in reality that is just not true.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:47 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I think I can honestly say that not even half the crowd knows exactly how a 2 stroke engine operates.

Knowing the basics REALLY helps you with tuning and troubleshooting in general.

These engines are insanely simple. Not that much can go wrong!

ram
Old 06-12-2003, 03:55 PM
POJack

Default Re: Thats it.......Tmaxx 2.5.....Very Concerned

Originally posted by phil313
If I get another person telling me it always stalls then I am cancelling my order! Could you reply if you own a 2.5 Tmaxx and tell me if your having stalling problems? I plan on using this for lengthy distances and if it stalls all the time I don't want it!!! What it boils down to is stalling is my biggest concern. I don't feel like chasing the truck everywhere!!!

Thanks for replying!
You can listen to the people who post about the 2.5 being a great engine. But when you have to constantly run over to it and restart it, don't say I didn't tell you so. T-Maxx is a great truck, and the engine that it comes with would be a great one if it weren't for the fact that it stalls all the time. The 2.5 was my 5th nitro vehicle, so I had a fair amount of experience with engine tuning. And by far, it was the worst engine as far as reliability is concerned. I've read here on the forums and talked to very experienced nitro guys who have said that they can't keep it running. If you aren't willing to spend extra money on a better engine, then I would just go ahead and get another MT.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:13 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Mine has it's 8th tank in it and I've had some real bad stalling issues. I was ready to call 888-traxxas to get some help, but went to my LHS and think I cured it.
Replaced the glow plug with a short (forgot the brand) and with some tuning I ran like a champ last night. Stalled and to my suprise it was outta gas. Actually ran a complete tank stall free.

I think they are a tad difficult to tune but overall are decent engines.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:59 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
I think I can honestly say that not even half the crowd knows exactly how a 2 stroke engine operates.

Knowing the basics REALLY helps you with tuning and troubleshooting in general.

These engines are insanely simple. Not that much can go wrong!

ram
TRUE DAT HOMMIE!!!!!!!!!!! I back that statement 100%

Every engine is different folks, one does not sound or even run the same as another, if you are going off of engines you have run before, you will have nothing but problems, patients and "know how" is the key to a fine tuning a 2-stroke!!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:18 PM
maxxdaddy74

I agree also that every engine is different and break in along with maintenance habits determine how well a engine performs. I have three different trucks and none of them have a stalling issue the way my 2.5 did. I know some one will say its a high performance and picky engine but what is my Sirio if its not a high performance engine. Have'nt stalled once not even on break in. The point I am making is it may be a good engine but not for a beginner who would be more satisfied actually driving a truck versus constantly stalling. Get the Savage if all you plan on doing is chasing geese around which is'nt very nice according to PETA.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:22 PM
POJack

Originally posted by maxxdaddy74
Get the Savage if all you plan on doing is chasing geese around which is'nt very nice according to PITA.
Well, it isn't very nice for the geese to shi* all over the place eigther. Also, it's PETA, not "PITA".
Old 06-12-2003, 10:49 PM
maxxdaddy74

Sorry I'm not a member my mistake.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Dlock

The T Maxx 2.5 was my first nitro truck. I have only had electric, and that was about 10 years ago. I recently got back into the hobby and bought a 2.5. I will admit it does have troubles once in a while, but most of the time it runs like a champ. Just be ready to learn how to tune an engine. I would get frustrated, but if I kept at it I would eventually find the "sweet spot". This thing has been a blast. I would have to agree with superchomper200 you only hear from the people who are complaining about the TRX 2.5. That's because everyone else who has it figured out is out bashing.....
Old 06-13-2003, 03:12 AM
desygityaso

dude, it's a nice truck. but you beter like running next to it. Or better yet see if traxxas makes a recovery vehicle like a tow truck or something ,wait on the other hand get it from a different manufacture cause you would'nt want to chase 2 trucks lol! I have a 2.5 t-maxx 60 days old and I suspect it stalls every 6-10 minutes guarrantied!!! Even with an after market head running lean, (it gets hot) running rich,(get loaded up and kills) so there you have it,...... you can't win for loosing.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:13 PM
joe78586
My Feedback: (3)

I'm a bigginer on nitro trucks and the 2.5 is my first truck which I think is awsome. I've never had problems with it stalling since I bought it. I don't know if I have it tuned correctly but it has enough power to pop wheelies.

I don't have a temp gun either superchomper200 and I am also 16. I am planning on buying one after I buy the cooling head cause I broke 3 fins. And I also need to buy a new carb body cause I cracked it and leaks a little fuel.

Hard to believe but with all this damage to my truck I am still running it and doesen't stall. I think it doese overheat once in a while but I am not sure since I don't have a temp gun.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:35 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Yes I have heard this problem with the length of the glo plug before.

I didnt mean to hurt anyone or say "you dont know Jack".
I definitely believe that this may be a legit problem since so many people (experienced and not) have had it.

Its just that a lot of people report these "problems" and cuss out the manufacturor when its actually them that are at fault. (not saying nothing about this case!).

I heard a LOT about glow plugs making a big difference with these engines. And I remember people saying that theyre hard to find.

Also.. could someone explain this "long" and "short" glowplug business?

Are they both just as popular? And a stupid question: Wont it be disastrous to use a "long" glow plug in an engine thats meant to use "short"s??

Thanks!
ram
Old 06-13-2003, 03:26 PM
niffken

stalling is the least of the trouble i have seen in the 2.5. I dont own one of these..I am just telling you what goes on around here. They are fast if you get them running right!
Old 06-14-2003, 03:00 PM
RC_nutcase
My Feedback: (2)

My first TRX 2.5 was defective it didnt even make it through break in and it was replaced for free by traxxas

My second is on gallon number 7 and runs like a dream

Never had a stalling problem but find it runs hot at around 260-280

I have almost 20yrs experience with nitro engines and its all about the proper tunning !!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 06:11 PM
ExtremeRC

all you have to do is learn how to tune the car right.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:03 AM
wannabeturbo

Buggies R Us,

Im not really sure, but it seems like long and short glow plugs might be similar to a long or short spark plug. Its how long it takes the glow plug to dissapaite the heat. I used to know which one stored heat longer(spark plug wise) but no longer do. I could be wrong, that is just my opinion
Old 06-15-2003, 04:18 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

the problem is tuning try to set your needles again and maybe focus on the lsn and idle needle cuz those are the needles to make the rig on idle and wont die when revved..and once u done this check ur hsn to maintain running temp...if you are new ull get a lot of this problems...go to www.rcnitro.com they have alot of tips in tuning
Old 06-16-2003, 12:52 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I also agree it runs lean and overheats, or rich and loads up and stalls
I have mine set almost perfect now and I think my overheating is the grass and the large wheels and 4 wheel drive the engine has to turn.
My bro has a stadium truck and we were bashing around for a while and mine would overheat in no time and his would run like a champ without overheating.

my 2 cents..
Old 06-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Tmaxxed out
My Feedback: (1)

Dude this 2.5 sucks ass after a couple of gallons you might as well buy new piston and sleeve when you buy the truck cause you'll need them besides it breaks way more than any other truck
and for that reason parts are hard to find!!!!!