Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Savage shifting point adjustments.....

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage shifting point adjustments.....

Old 06-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage shifting point adjustments.....

OK here we are. I never really paid any attention to it but a friend of mine was watching me run my truck up and down my street. He asked me, "Doesn't that have two gears?" So i look at my truck and it seems to fly but I don't hear it shift but I do notice the fact that when I checked the adjustment on it, 9 turns out is where it was set. The HPI forums state that 4 1/2 is what it comes factory. This is not true in my case. I know this because I was so stoked about my hyper 8 port I didn't even pay any attention to adjusting the shift point.

So the question is where do you Savage guys have yours set at??
Oh yeah and you Hyper 8 port guys, anybody have any tips on how to rewind the spring for the starter. The hole for the string is off set too much so I can't feed it through there to rewind cause it gets wrapped around the crevise for the string. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

NO ONE HAS A CLUE???? COME ON GUYS!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant tell you what mine is "set at" but its easy enough to adjust. If your truck is going any faster than 10 mph it is hitting second gear. My truck would shift into second literally 3 feet from a stop when you gunned it, and it was very hard to hear. You can adjust it 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time clockwise to delay the shift a little. Another thing you can do is take off from a dead stop very very slowly and increase throttle slowly and until you hear it shift. You can usually hear it shift that way.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Justintoxicated

I left mine stock, and I only hit second at WOT,

How soon it hits depends how warm my engin is as well as the surface im running it on.

The sound is VERY noticable IMO!

Also, it hit second much easier after i installed the motosaver air filter!
Old 06-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Thanks, I'll have to give that a shot tonight avalanche. "VERY NOTICEABLE" Well mine surely isn't if it is shifting. I'll make a few adjustments.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:52 PM

I dont even know how to change the shift point. I cant seem to find the hole that the tool fits into to turn it..Any help? or am i just an idiot(probably) also what tool is the right one?
Anyways, mine shifts pretty late, but when it does i can totally notice it. The front end sticks up a lot more and the back end goes down when it shifts, and i can hear a difference in the sound the engine makes.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Default Adjusting the ship point

Adjusting the ship points.....
1) Remove the rubber plug..
2) Suspend your vehicle so all the wheels are off the ground. I use a 2X4 and a 4X4 nailed together.
3) Put your finger on the spur gear and rotate it towards you ( you should be looking straight inside the hole and on the left side of the vehicle).
4) NOTE: Rotate it very slightly until you see where the notch is in the gear. You should be looking inside the rear hole not the front one. The front is just there to hold the rubber plug in place and for inspection purposes.
5) When you find the notch begin slowly rotating the spur away from you and then back towards you so you can see in the notch. About a 1/4 of an inch at a time. In essence you're turning the spur just enough to reveal more of the surface of the clutch until you find the two holes. The first hole you will have a 2mm allen bolt in it. THIS ONE SHOULD BE COMPLETELY TIGHT. If it's not back it all the way out "BE CAREFULL" Cause I know you don't want to take the transmission apart. Apply a small amount of threadlocker on it and screw it all the way back in. this secures the gear to the shaft. The second hole you come to will be your adjustment screw. To adjust for quicker shift back it out (Counter Clock wise) and vice-versa for a later shift.

Hope this helps.... Anyone feel free to add anything. HPI's forum has some pictures and your manual should as well.
good luck
Old 06-16-2003, 10:36 PM

thanks alot ill go try it!
Old 06-18-2003, 12:53 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

OMG what a difference. Man i was so freaking stoked, I put my .21BB back on my savage. HOLY CRAP what a difference. i had it leaned out to about 1.5 out from closed on the HSN and 1 in from flush on the LSN. Still no shifting, so i pulled the air filter off and made a couple of high speed passes. Man alive and I do mean ALIVE. First gear must have a pretty high tooth count because it was flying in first. Now that it actually hits second it catches my 2.5 Rustler. My 2.5 Rustler would put the whoopin on a stock 2.5 T-maxx so imagine my surprise. Now all i have to do is throw my new hyper 8 port on and go kill a SIRIO.18 t-maxx

NOTE: These figures have not been reviewed my any R/C Magazine. So those of you that read this and don't believe it can do with it what you wish.