Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

motor upgrade/ESC on Wild Dagger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

motor upgrade/ESC on Wild Dagger

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Orcinus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor upgrade/ESC on Wild Dagger

I have a Tamiya Wild Dagger and would like to upgrade the motors. The salesman at a local hobby shop said I would need an ESC because a new pair of motors would burn out the stock mechanical speed control. I've taken some electronics so I'm no dummy, but it sounds to me like he's just trying to sell me an expensive part I don't really need. He said I would burn out the current speed control, which I think is hogwash. Granted, I can see burning out the resistor if I constantly use low throttle, but at full throttle the mechanical speed control is just a switch. Does anybody have any actual experience with upgrading the motors in a Wild Dagger? Will I really burn out the switch, or was the salesman just feeding me a line to sell me an expensive part?
Old 06-19-2003, 07:20 AM
bylandandair

I have a wild dagger but with stock motors. But I have a super rooster esc and its worth it if you are upgrading the motors. THe guy was not bs'ing you, you should get an esc.
I'm sure theres a way to upgrade with the mechanical but you WILL end up just getting the esc so might as well do it now and enjoy!! Have fun.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Orcinus

Thanks... I actually bought a pair of rather mild motors after work today (Tamiya Super Stock Type-T, 23 turns, single wind) and spent the better part of two hours trying to wrap my head around getting one to work at full performance in reverse (front motor is reversed in the Wild Dagger. Stupid design if you asked me). Runs like a bat outta hell now tho! I plan to race my friend's stock Traxxas Stampede this weekend. Anyways: at first I un-clamp the can from endbell, and rotated 180 degrees. I thought I read somewhere that this would solve the advance/retard timing issue with running a motor in reverse. However, I also found that it reversed the direction of the motor too! So I had to cut a couple notches for the can's clamping crimps to change the timing back to advance instead of retard. BTW, does anyone know the actual amount of timing this motor has?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:31 PM
bylandandair

sorry can't help you there, anyone know???