RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New Savage X 4.6 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 PM
MrSmiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Savage X 4.6 owner

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the RC world and just purchased a Savage X 4.6 (what a cool piece of machinery I might add). I'm really having troubles breaking in my RC though. Before I begin, I've read the manual several times and have done a google search but nothing popped out immediately at me (sorry if anyone is pissed at me if this is a simple noob fix).

I started up the truck just fine and did the one tank at idle off the ground, I was monitoring the temp as well but it never got above 128F for some reason. I tried wrapping the engine in tinfoil as well but it didn't seem to do much. On the second tank I was wanting to do the 1/4 throttle for a couple seconds and figure eights (as suggested in the HPI manual). I've filled the engine with fuel again and tried to get the temp up by adjusting the idle screw to get the idle up but that didn't help. As soon as I put the truck on the ground and tried to give it a small (very small) amount of throttle it dies. I've tried letting it idle for a bit to get up to temp but once again it's just not getting there for me. I'm not sure what I should do at this point, I'm about 1.5 tanks thru on idle with the temp getting just below 130F. The RC just won't move for me, is now the time to adjust the HSN?? From what I've read online and in the manual I adjust the HSN once my break in is complete, is this correct? Should I be adjusting the idle screw to get the idle up? If so, how much should I adjust it? I really want to make sure that I do this as correct as possible but it's giving me issues right from the beginning! Dammit! lol

I appreciate any help you guys can give me and please be gentle! I'm a simple 30 year old noob!

Cheers!

MrSmiff
Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: New Savage X 4.6 owner

You need to lean out the HSN. It is running rich and not making any power. The rich tune is also the reason why you havent gotten it up to temp.

When you lean or richen the HSN you also lean or richen the LSN because the HSN controls the fuel flow to the LSN.

Dont mess with the LSN needle now. Just turn in the HSN a little at a time until it runs good enough that you can drive it. Dont go super lean yet. You still want to be on the rich side.

josh
Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 PM
MrSmiff

Thanks Josh! So should I run another tank at idle off ground but lean the HSN so that I get temp up or should I throw it on the ground and start the second phase?? Also, how long should my glow charger and battery for the roto start last? Are they good for a day with plenty of starting? Should I charge these every night? The roto start seems like a pos as far as providing torque, would a low speed cordless drill work as well or would I destroy something?

Thanks again, I'm so pumped to have this monster up and running.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
barney 5
My Feedback: (231)

you shouldn't be messin with any needles till u have run at least 4 or 5 tanks of fuel thru it, the needles should be flush with the top of needle barrel it tells you that in the manual or u could void your warranty. did u fill out your warranty? sounds like u better. u can use a cordless drill in reverse.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

How are you going to run 4 to 5 tanks through it if you cant keep it running. I didnt say to lean it out to do screaming wheelies. If you need to lean it out a little to be able to give it some throttle that is ok. It will still be very rich.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:26 PM
pitbull14218

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

How are you going to run 4 to 5 tanks through it if you cant keep it running. I didnt say to lean it out to do screaming wheelies. If you need to lean it out a little to be able to give it some throttle that is ok. It will still be very rich.
i agree.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: pitbull14218

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

i agree.
ditto.....when you're driving around, gently accelerating, then slowing slowly helps too...

I've had my glow ignitor last all day. When you know you're going to be running the next day, it does'nt hurt to charge it the night before...as for how long the Roto-Start battery should last, it depends on what you have for a pack....I have a pair of Epic Dreadnaught packs that are 3000 MaHr...They last pretty good, and I can fast charge them with the Onyx 240....