Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

motor oil in shocks???

hey guys...i was wondering...i saw a video of someone putting motor oil in the shocks in replace for normal shock oil...is that good??

anyone have any input on that???

is that ok??
    your face is a monster truck!!

Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: motor oil in shocks???

It will work in a pinch and won't hurt anything in the shock. I've seen guys use everything from motor oil to peanut oil.  If you're just bashing it will most likely be fine but you will find that having specific wt shock oils will really help when trying to dial in a suspension setup.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

motor oil is more likely to leak due to additives placed in them for high heat stability.
    You could however get a non detergent racing oil, that would probably work half decent.
    I suppose the cost savings would be decent if you use alot of shock oil, but i don't see who would be using that much considering how little goes into even the biggest r/c shocks.
    You can get static weight motor oil (20w,30w etc instead of 10w-30), they are not quite as common anymore though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd say spring for the $3.50 for silicone shock oil....It's tunable by chossing from different avaiable weights, and if you spill it, it cleans up easily....

Depending on what shocks you're using, motor oil may eat the rubber seals in then since they're typically designed with silicone fluids in mind...
    Custom Works x3....SC10 FT.ADX, Custom E-Maxx,Losi modified LST2, LST2, NTC3, RC10T4 Oval, RC18T and a lot of other junk.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

X2
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too say stick with silicone shock oil. That's what the seals in the shock are designed to be used with and it's going to be much less variable in viscosity than motor oil. Also, as was said earlier, the detergents in motor oil may or may not harm the seals in your shock.
    EdingerRC10/(4)RC10/RC10T/RC10T2/RC10GT/RC10LGra./RC18T/MGT8.0/Vintage LB/New LB/NIB Clodbuster/Custom SuperClod/TC6/DM-1Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Motor oil works fine. I had it in the shocks on my old t-maxx, and it wasnt a problem. Everyone kept telling me how horrible it would be, and that it would handle horrible, and all this stuff, and it worked just fine for me bashing. That said, I think regular shock oil would be better, but there is nothing wrong with using motor oil in a pinch.

Eric
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The thing with motor oil is the viscosity changes a lot with tempeture changes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and the seals will give up because of detergent in motol oil.............don't use it [:@]
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, i'm Luke and i own a HSP Brontosaurus off-road electric monster truck.
    Ihave a very tight budget as i have just left school and do not yet have a job so running it is not very easy when it comes to new parts and stuff.
    I did not have enough money to buy some model suspension oil but i did however have a bottle of engine oil lying around in my garage which i bought for my motocross bike, when i opened the bottle i decided it was way to thin to use in my bike so i put it aside hoping that a day would come thati may need it and it did!

I put the engine oil in my shock absorbers and it worked really well as i like to do a lot of big jumps so it made tha landings a lot less harsh which was great for increasing the life of my cars parts.
    I noticed a few people have said to not use it as it will damage the seals and cause leaks etc. but i have not had any of these problems, i have found it to be benificial and i would reccomend using it to anyone that likes off-roading.

If you do decide to use the engine oil then make sure you use one that is not very viscous because if you use too thick an oil it will decrease the performance of your suspension as it will not flow properly through the small holes in the pistons.

I will attatch a link to a website showing you how to do it with model suspension oil, follow the same steps but rather than using model suspension oil, use the engine oil. I will also attatch a picture of the oil that i used and i will also write the name of the oil that i used,

Please rate this post and please also reply to me to let me know how it worked for you. Maybe see you at a track some day

Putoline Racing GP10 Synthetic Light 2 Stoke Gearbox Oil SAE 75w.. this will cost you around £10 for a 1 litre bottle which will last ages.

http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/troub...s/shockoil.htm

Hope i have been able to help you
    Luke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37347.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1233378  
    HSP Brontosaurus - Electric Off-Road Monster Truck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're still better off running silicone shock oil in your shocks. Give that motor oil some time and you will probably see some leaking that will progressively get worse. It's cheaper to buy a bottle of shock oil than shock rebuild kits. At least you're happy with the performance though, that's what really matters, until it becomes shock rebuild time!
    EdingerRC10/(4)RC10/RC10T/RC10T2/RC10GT/RC10LGra./RC18T/MGT8.0/Vintage LB/New LB/NIB Clodbuster/Custom SuperClod/TC6/DM-1Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah well, im wanting to upgrade the suspension soon anyway so not bothered if they need a re-build, ill just keep the old ones as spares and re-build them when i get money.. if they need re-building, my HSP Brontosaurus has had that oil in the suspension since mid-day yesterday and ive done loads of huge jumps with it since then and lots of usage time, i have a lot of experience in mechanics and i know that if the oil were to cause any damage to anything it would have happened by now.. i love the performance i et from the suspension now though, its really great

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not true. It may take a few weeks for the oil to start damaging the seals badly enough to cause noticable leaking. It can take YEARS on full scale cars for oil leaks, gas, exhaust, etc... to destroy rubber components. I also have years of auto mechanic experience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had 5w-30 castrol edge in my baja rear shocks when i upgraded to the baja ss rear shocks rebuild kit,

it stated with the instructios to use 5w shock oil and i had some spare oil for the cooper s so i thought this would save me from buying

seperate shock oil it worked good for about 3 weeks then i noticed aot of dirt sticking to all 4 shocks and i just cleaned them of and thought nothing about it,

next few days it slowly started leaking from all the shocks and so i bought some silicone shock oil 10w for the front and 5w for the rear and since cleaning out the shock bodies and refilling them with proper shock oil it has been leak free and the shocks work so much smoother,

just my own experience using good quality motor oil in shocks and it not going so good
    Its me is that you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Barber420

Not true. It may take a few weeks for the oil to start damaging the seals badly enough to cause noticable leaking. It can take YEARS on full scale cars for oil leaks, gas, exhaust, etc... to destroy rubber components. I also have years of auto mechanic experience.

I have been working on high performance motocross bikes since i was 13 and ive been fiddling around with small engines since the age of 8, i have also been working on cars since 14.. never have i had a problem with engine oil in suspension.
    Also a very good friend of mine has been running hisRC car's suspension on engine oil for years and he has never had any problems with it.
    I am not saying that what you have said is wrong but i do disagree with it, people have obviously had different outcomes from using engine oil and its down to preference, and if you do use it then yes you may run the risk of leaks but i have not had any.

Sorry if this sounds like i'm arguing,i dontintend to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is no cost advantage to using motor oil in RC shocks....plus the silicone fluids are made for their purpose..I.'ve seen kids with dirt oval cars try using motor oil in their shocks.....it works, but is untunable because the various grade don't differ enough to be able to tune the suspension...I've also see motor oil eat out the seals in an RC shock in a mater of hours depending on the oil....Most of the makers of the silicone fluids offer a nearly infinite number of various viscosities of fluid, so you can precisely tune your car to the track or surface you run it on....

It seems like we get this discussion every few months....I'm not saying don't do it....I'm just saying there's no advantage to it.....
    Custom Works x3....SC10 FT.ADX, Custom E-Maxx,Losi modified LST2, LST2, NTC3, RC10T4 Oval, RC18T and a lot of other junk.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

there probably isn't a cost advantage in it but i dont have any money to get the propper stuff so i just used what was already lying around in my garage for now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i work in a garage and was struggling for oil for my shox so did some detective work and atf (automatic transmission fluid) its the same as power steering fluid which works just fine in mine lol, its not temperature dependant on viscosity
    i wish i got 6 months paid holiday twice a year