Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Question on initail start up on T-Maxx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Question on initail start up on T-Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 02:57 AM
Mike Lang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on initail start up on T-Maxx

I read somewhere to use some after run oil BEFORE I start the engine.

My question is, the air filter has a zip strap on it, in the video they pull off the air filter to clean, so should I cut off the tie and leave it off?

On an onboard temp gauge(traxxas) where ahould you mount the read out, and I would guess you put the sensor on a fin closest to the glow plug right? On the inside or outside and HOW do I attach it?

I also bought a throtle return spring, anyone have a hint how and where to install this? TO the shock tower?

I watched the video 2x, and I am reading the book. Is there anything that was found to be a better way of doing ANYTHING.

Geeze I did not even start to break it in and I put on front and rear blue aluminum bumpers and braces, front-back and middle blue aluminum skid plates.

What is a good set of threaded shocks and what are piggy backs? Are they better? Ideas on where to order?

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE, without the input on this board I would have never jumped into nitro.

Mike L.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Alteramod

Well if it makes it easier to get it off just cut the zip tie then replace it after you put the air filter back on. If you dont have any just try and pull it off with the zip tie still on then when you go to put it back on just slip it on with a screw driver. Be carefull not to rip it though

not sure on the temp gauge

i dont like return springs
Old 06-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Dlock

I had a couple of posts like this when I first got my Maxx, tons of questions, and was always frustrated cuz it seemed like people would only answer one or two of my questions. So here it goes......

The engine should be lubricated from the factory. If they did not then it could possibly rust. I would say don't worry about it, because once you get the fuel flowing that will give you the lubrication you need. The only time I could think to use it is when the piston and sleeve are really tight, and you are having a hard time getting the engine to turn over.

I would go and invest in some zip ties. When you go to clean your truck you can cut off the zip tie and then replace it when you are done with the cleaning process. What I do is put a zip tie on, but don't make it super tight. That way I can slip the air filter back on with the zip tie still attached. It might take a couple of tries to get it right but once you get it you won't have to replace another zip tie.

As for the temp gage. I mounted mine on the receiver box. I went and bought some self adhesive backed Velcro. They come in small little squares or rolls. Put one side on the RX box and one on the back of the temp gage. My windows are cut out for cooling, so it makes reading my gage simple and easy. The wire should go around the head on the outside. It should be even with the glow plug. There is a set of wider fins on the cooling head, this is a pretty good spot for the sensor.

I also have a throttle return spring. I attached it to the servo horn and the other end around the antenna. It works good for me. You just have to make sure your antenna stays put.

They did a really good job putting the video and manual together. The only thing the manual leaves out is assembly instructions. The kit comes RTR, but assembly instructions would probably have helped with the fear of the first tear down and rebuild. I would follow the break in instructions to the letter. Make sure you do it right and you will reap the rewards because of it.

Dynamite makes a decent set of shocks for the T Maxx. I have a set on order and hope to get them soon. http://www.dynamiterc.com/Search/Res...chTerm=dyn7636 There are cheaper places on the internet to get these, you just have to search around. Or you can go the Supermaxx route. They just came out with new shocks and have a pre-order deal going on. $69.99 for a set of four, including their new dual rate springs and standoffs. They are more expensive, but if you want what some consider the best, then these are them. http://www.monstermaxx.com/shocks.shtml

Piggybacks refer to these types of shocks http://secure400.automatedshops.com/...23103030646.61 They have a reservoir for extra dampening. I am not totally sure how they work, but the allow for more tune-ability from your shocks. If they are better or not, I don't know. Since I have only run the stock shocks and am finally getting a new set of the Dynamite ones I could not really tell you if the piggybacks are any better.

Good luck with the truck. Welcome to the world of Nitro, it's a blast!!! Good choice on the T Maxx, you will have a lot of fun with it. I know I am .......
Old 06-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Mike Lang

Thank you very much. that answers a bunch of questions. I just went out to try the break in, and heaven opened up as I was about to fill the fuel. Next window of opportunity is tom. This will allow me time to install the tewmp guage and return springs.

Thanks again guys for the insight.
Mike