Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

No Brakes! No Brakes! Aaaaaah!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 01:04 AM
NitroHolmes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brakes! No Brakes! Aaaaaah!

Okay, so maybe I do have some brakes, but not much. I've got an OFNA dominator with a 2-speed trans. I don't know the exact top speed, but it's around 40-50mph. ANYWAY, it takes me about 15-20 feet to stop the thing on dry asphalt!

Now I know what ya'll are gonna say: "When you go fast you should expect it to take a long time to stop," "Make sure your brakes are adjusted right," etc, etc. I know all that, the brakes I have now are set up right. What I want to know is what kind of brake upgrades are there out there? Does anyone have a larger brake disc setup? I've seen some setups in magazines with multiple discs and pads, but my fuel tank position prevents me from doing that.

Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2003, 05:42 AM
ofnamp

Default Brakes

You can do like I did and buy another rotor (disk) and more pads and plates and double the rotors and pads. That is what I did and had to use my JR tx to turn down brake to 30% to keep from flipping my MP end over end. This setup works very good for me and gives you twice the brake power. And you can get a rear brake kit for the Dominator that fits at the rear diff they also work good But you may want to up grade your servo torque and that will help also. May be this will help you.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:50 AM
Rex2342

I was using double disks on my savage but it was to much braking.The truck would flip forward if I applied even the slightest bit a of brake.Are the brakes fading after running around for a while or are they doing this all the time??Maybe try and find a metal brake rotor or something like that.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:51 AM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Id just say stick a stronger servo in it. Best upgrade you can do, with out modifications!!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Here are a few of my suggesions:

1) Your brake disc might be glazed. See if you can sand it and try it again
2) Servo is too weak.
3) Silicone based grease is VERY slippery. Make sure you dont have any in there.. Almost fell the other day when I left a few drops on the hardwood floor! That thing left a slick spot for a coupla weeks! Looong shot but had to mention it.

I think getting a metal rotor is a very good idea. These palstic things worked well for me but they wear out easy.

ram
Old 06-23-2003, 07:30 AM
NitroHolmes

Thanks for all the help guys. I had my truck apart tonight cleaning it so I pulled the rotor off (it's steel by the way). It was a little glazed so I took some sand-paper to it and also to the pads. That should definitely help me out.....