ptimer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default blue thunder

can anyone tell me if blue thunder 20% is a good choice for the tmaxx 2.5 any information please
Old 06-23-2003, 08:43 PM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default blue thunder

i've used it in the past and it gunks up in the tank (if you don't run the truck for a few days) and I'm assuming it also gunks up in the engine. What I mean is that it forms like a gel kind of like turning into jello. If you decide to use it, make sure your tank and engine are completely empty after you run your truck.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:04 PM
ptimer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default blue thunder

thanks for the info the reason i asked in the first place was because ive been having a few problems with my tmaxx and i wanted to know if it had anything to do with the petrol could you recommend any other fuel thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 09:18 PM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default blue thunder

I don't know what kind of nitro fuel you have available to you over there, but if you see o'donnell or trinity monster horsepower or even traxxas top fuel, they are a better choice IMO than blue thunder. Some people complain about trinitys' fuel foaming up in the tank though. Personally, i've never had a problem with it. Also, if you do change brands, make sure to keep it the same nitro content as you previously used. In your case, that would be 20%.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default blue thunder

As a matter of fact to tag on to that. Someone else posted a link to an article about switching fuels. hang on a minute and I'll post it.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default blue thunder

http://www.rccaraction.com/rn/articles/nitro_fuel.asp

Here's the link read it all, and actually read it to understand it. Don't just read it. There's a difference. Good Luck, Rocky
Old 06-24-2003, 03:57 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default blue thunder

If you have airplane fuel, you can get some as it runs cooler than car fuel... cool power 15% is what I use
Old 06-24-2003, 04:14 AM
Legendary

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I switched to,

Airplane fuel as well and I am using Omega (Cool power with castor oil) 15% and I love it!
Old 11-28-2003, 10:09 PM
magimerlin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I switched to,

My T was running like crap on the top end, it was cutting out and after a while it had nothing in the lower range either. I was using blue thunder when this was going on. Yesterday I switched over to traxxas fuel and wholly crab what a difference. My top end is so much better and I am having problems keeping the fronts on the ground. It also runs alot cooler. And this was befor I changed my settings to better it even more. I love my T now.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:23 PM
popa71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran the Traxxas fuel 20% with my Maxx. No tuning issues It ran like a charm.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:01 PM
godlyone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As always, this is merely opinion just as any other postings on this board.

Run anything but Blue Thunder IMHO.

Traxxas, PowerMaster, Trinity Monster Horsepower, O’Donnell. These are all good fuels which provide excellent results.

After run Oil. Use it! Everytime!

Fact: Blue Thunder is formulated for the beginner Nitro enthusiast. Why? They add a chemical to their fuel which forces your engine to pop and sputter when it reaches too hot of temperature. I believe they call this additive ZX-7 and I have seen many hobbyists fight this junk not realizing it was in their or why it was in their. It is an OK "all-around fuel" but it is very well known for causing more build up than others (probably from all the additives) and it is not a fuel for the serious engine tuner.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:28 AM
nitrofreak74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i dont like blue thunder all that much trinity monster horse power is the shiz
Old 01-09-2004, 06:46 AM
keefnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have just about used my first gallon of Blue Thunder and it's been a pig in my Savage -- I start it up once every 2 to 3 weeks and it needs to be turned over so much and I have trouble getting fuel to flow -- I noticed last time I had a gunk up in my line from my header tank to the carb -- needed to blow that out -- god only knows where else is gunked and that's probably the main reason it's a pain to start.[>:]

So, just ordering up some Trinity 20% -- as I wanna just leave whatever is in the truck between runs and that maybe days/weeks --- and I have a picco .26 Force engine to fit so will start with that on the new fuel.

Also notice that spillage of the Blue Thunder caused my silver alloy A-arms to stain blue -- can't be good, can it.

Seems to get worse over time -- I recently fitted a new spare .21 engine to a buggy I have and using that on the Blue Thunder, seems to fire up a lot easier than the truck -- maybe that'll get worse over time? We'll see as I have another gallon to use up so will just use that on the buggy.

Cheers chaps....[8D]
Old 01-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Element

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm running blue thunder about half a gallon through.I just check the engine and tank for "gunk" none i clean the fuel out before i out her up after a run.But i guess when i through with this gallon ill buy something different.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:16 PM
fhm101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: godlyone
Fact: Blue Thunder is formulated for the beginner Nitro enthusiast.quote]
This is true for the regular blend, but Blue Thunder race formula does not have the protection additive. I ran Blue Thunder for a couple of years before switching to Maxy's which I did because it's the best thing I've ever tried in my Novarossi engines. In the small OS engines I used to run, Blue Thunder was the best thing I ever ran in them and I tried many fuels before Blue thunder because of all the negative things I'd heard about it. After finding out there was two different blends of Blue Thunder and talking to a few folks that used the race blend I gave it a try and it's great in small OS engines.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
mrjason82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

from what I understand so far, is it ok to switch brands of fuels just don't change nitro percent?
like going from blue thunder 20% to Traxxas 20%...anything bad about doing that?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:30 PM
BigBlocked

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you change nitro% you may notice some lose in performance if you switch back to a lower % rate. I've used the blue stuff, O'donnell and Trinity. Blue sucked bad! O'donnell was ok, a bit oily for my taste. Trinity is the winner, hands down! I'm running 30% Trinity Monster Horsepower in both rigs. This stuff is awsome!

And another thing. I didn't add any head shims to either motor. Some say you should add a .10mm shim when running 30%. Since money is no object to me, I chose not to (yeah right). The head shims arrived the day after I couldn't wait any longer to try the Trinity 30%. That's probably where they'll stay too. In the tool box. Both motors seem to be doing fine without the extra shims. I found that the Trinity actually runs cooler than the other two brands mentioned.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:18 PM
hardadz
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it is available you might want to try Byron Fuels, as they will help keep your motor clean, have all the lubricant you need and do their own blending. The Race series seems to work in everything that we sell.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:08 PM
mrjason82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finally opened up my engine after using blue thunder 20%...it was all gunked up and nasty looking and I always ran my truck out of gas and used after run oil. I'm using Trinity Monster Horsepower now and it's definately a great fuel. All of my trucks definately run better because of it.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:13 PM
mecky33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use wildcat eliminator fuel in my MT2 and haven't had any problems with it. Best of all, I found it for twenty a gallon because wildcat doesn't put a huge markup on their fuel. HPI sells wildcat fuel under the HPI name for 10-12 a quart. It is a 20% nitro with 18% oil, the oil is a castor synthetic blend. If you want more info on their fuels go to www.wildcatfuel.com
Old 01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't believe all this negative talk about BT. I've gone through almost a gallon in my Savage and have had 0 problems. The only other fuel I tried was a couple years ago in my original Maxx was Traxxas and it was awful. It ran way hottter than BT. My LHS just ordered BT just for me so I guess I'm stuck. The other LHS stocks BT and Trinity,I may try some Trinity just too see,but I feel obligated to buy the BT since he special ordered it for me.
OH-Well
Mike
Old 01-23-2004, 08:34 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

same here bt runs like a champ in my MT2 infact i noticed a power increase when i switched from byrons to bt and a power increase on the byrons by switching to O.S. #8 plugs that day my truck had a very rich tune also it went from spitting more than smoking to smoking more than spitting on the bt
Old 01-23-2004, 10:07 PM
sdarviavgeer1521

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: blue thunder

i dont like blue thunder at all. it gets all gunked up in the tank and the fuel line. it supposively leaves a blue residue on the inside of the engine also. the trinity monster horsepower fuel is great though
Old 01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: blue thunder

yeah but ive left bt in the tank and it dont goo up that is a false statement