RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

savage xl vs losi xxl

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
s002wjh
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage xl vs losi xxl

been out of RC for while, i'm looking for a RC for Bashing. figure the monster truck are best for bashing, correct?
so anyone out there known the pro and con of these two RC?

which one is best for Bashing with ok handling. I'm looking for one to bash right out of the box without upgrades. thanks for the help

also any other RC would you recommend for basing that is comparable to these two??
Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: savage xl vs losi xxl

How's your budget? BTW, what prices do you have for the XL and the XXL?

From those two trucks, the XXL is superior in most regards IMO.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
s002wjh

well i saw xl around 500 and xxl around 670, and i already has all the accessories for nitro. my budget is around $800, i prefer not to upgrade so many part just in order to bash.

when you said xxl is better could you give me some example and why is better compare to XL. from what i heard XL is known for bashing, don't know how it handle though. I don't like when i'm bashing, it flip over all the time.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM
HerrSavage

Ha ha... "Don't want to flip over all the time..."

I already answered this in the thread "Why shouldn't I get a Savage X?".. Check it out - that's my opinion.. (LST2 and XXL are very similar..)

With the XXL btw you get a much better radio and engine right off the bat, so that alone makes the initial price difference worth it.. And you really don't need to upgrade anything(2 or 2 bits - you can find about it by reading around the Losi MT forums..)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
army2000ng
My Feedback: (3)

If you are just looking for bashing trucks at a cheap price just to to geyehobbies, they offer freee shipping. They sell redcat, traxxas,and some HPI, and venom.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
s002wjh

not really looking for cheap one, but a good one with OK handle, and durable. don't really worry about radio that came with XXL, since i can upgrade the XL radio if the truck is good. But i hate upgrade the truck itself and fixing it everytime after few bash(too lazy i guess). So i'm really looking for The One that is bash ready out of box.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Blade-breaker
My Feedback: (4)

I just got a XXL and it is fantastic. After break in I have been jumping and having fun with nothing but cleaning the aircleaner for maintenance. I have not had a Savage before but I did do alot of reading and most recomended the XXL.

This topic made up my mind. many others with much more experience than me all said XXL..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8884068/tm.htm

Also I got mine for $599.00 from my LHS. They matched the online prices.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 PM
dacaur

Yea, the XXL is just a stretched LST2, which is just an awesome truck. There is a reason you dont see savages racing lst2's. The handling of the lst2 over the savage is almost not fair.... The XXL is great for bashing, I have yet to break anything on mine. (other than the sp/pull start) I dont do anything extreme, the most air I get is about 8-10 feet up, with 3-6 being more typical. Just construction type areas and parks. The tires on the xxl will also outlast the savage tires by a lot if you do any on-road driving.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Steve.

I have a Savage converted to an XL, I also have a Losi Aftershock which is much like the LST but with a forward only 2sp tranny. The Savage is a nice rig and tough but honestly I prefer driving the Aftershock because it handles ten times better than the Savage. I like the XXL platform because it's more like a truggy and less like a monster truck compared to the Savage chassis. The XXL isn't cheap but it comes with a decent TX, you can sell it for $200 if you don't need it and be into an awesome truck for reasonable money. A guy at my LHS was running an XXL and it ripped, I would recommend the XXL over the Savage because of the handling, radio, and especially the engine.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Lst xxl

Get the xxl it will chop the savage. Then convert it to Brushless
Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: Steve.

I have a Savage converted to an XL, I also have a Losi Aftershock which is much like the LST but with a forward only 2sp tranny. The Savage is a nice rig and tough but honestly I prefer driving the Aftershock because it handles ten times better than the Savage. I like the XXL platform because it's more like a truggy and less like a monster truck compared to the Savage chassis. The XXL isn't cheap but it comes with a decent TX, you can sell it for $200 if you don't need it and be into an awesome truck for reasonable money. A guy at my LHS was running an XXL and it ripped, I would recommend the XXL over the Savage because of the handling, radio, and especially the engine.
ditto on the handling....My brother inlaws Savage accelerates harder than my Aftershock, but my truck is all over him once I hit second. hen we get to a corner and I'm behind i jst tap the brakes and turn inside him....I drove his truck for a bit one evening and was surprised at how bad it pushed....as in "like a dump truck"....I have read where Savages can be made to handle reasonably well...
Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 PM
SLAYERDUDE

My XL is 1 tough mutha....
6+ gallons on the stock Terra Pin tires.
Still better than 1/2 tread.
And yes I drive on the pavement alot.

Here's a pic of it in action.
I broke the already torn, zip tied, silicone muffler coupler on landing causing an instant lean condition and bogging due to loss of fuel pressure, but rode a wheelie away and continued to drive around just to show she was all good.

Might as well see the vid that pic is from.
Seeing is believing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8kqjhDdV8E

That is all.

SLAYER

Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 AM
HerrSavage

Nice air..
Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I think the savage is about as good as it gets for bashing in stock form. They are extremely tough IMO.

However, they dont handle the greatest. My MGT handles a lot better than my savage, and the brakes are much better too. I honestly like both trucks a lot. Just depends on what im doing as to which one i would rather run.

Eric
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with the last 3 posters... Personally, I love how my "dump truck" handles and its all about the driver, I rarely flip my truck over going through full speed powerslides, sure its not effortless but some throttle and steering control are all it takes. The XXL is probably superior in handling and has a nice engine and all, its a good package... But I'll still love driving my Savage!

Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7r7z...e=channel_page

I did break some stuff on that run, but I had it coming after I tore up a body and had no engine cage on..

Tom.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Agreed with the last 3 posters... Personally, I love how my ''dump truck'' handles and its all about the driver, I rarely flip my truck over going through full speed powerslides, sure its not effortless but some throttle and steering control are all it takes. The XXL is probably superior in handling and has a nice engine and all, its a good package... But I'll still love driving my Savage!

Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7r7z...e=channel_page

I did break some stuff on that run, but I had it coming after I tore up a body and had no engine cage on..

Tom.
The nice thing about this hobby is there's tons of different stuff, and not too much genuine junk out there anymore....

Except Integy....
Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha yep, and I actually have one Integy item on my truck, and it works pretty well- cept it was badly designed and gives the rear wheels positive camber .. At least it hasn't bent like the typical Integy crap
Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM
cummins driver

My integy clutch shoes and flywheel have been great so far. Couldnt beat the price either! Im not much on aluminum suspension parts anyways, but as far as clutch shoes go, I have been happy with my integy shoes.

Eric
Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Airbus 9e

I actually have some Integy packs for my RC18T that are pretty good, but I snapped the one hex driver I had from them....
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
s002wjh

alright after saw savage jump, i'm waiting Losi lst2 or xxl guy come in here, show me some video on how their truck air.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
cummins driver

Here is another video for the savage. Im not much on big air, but it will wear out the dirt[8D]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnywLdXm-S4&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Eric
Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
cummins driver

Here is my MGT. If you are thinking about something other than a savage, definately give the MGT a look.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOqqDjq_NY&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Eric
Old 07-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Druss

If you go to youtube you'll find tons of videos of both. Personally, I'd think you'd be happy with either. I'm still waiting to see if they make a brushless version with their 1/8 brushless system.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 AM
HerrSavage

My LST2:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...01Version4.flv

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ST2BashDay.flv

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...nterJumpin.flv

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ayBashLST2.flv (pretty lame - repetitive.. But I was still learning to jump back then.. Musta' done the same jump 50 times that day...)

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...1thanxDean.flv

Truck has put up with a lot.. Only thing broken in all that was a cracked upper arm(after the second vid in the list.. Now has RPM's.., and a broken internal diff pin in after the first vid.. And OK a few bumper and body posts... EDIT - Oh yeah and an RTR servo or two...)