Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

rc truck sitting for some time

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc truck sitting for some time

I have not run my trucks in like 8 months, was going to get back into it and wanted to know if I should do anything before I get them running or just add fuel and let it rip. my savage had fuel in the tank but my lst2 and mgt are bone dry I never put in after run oil because I was in such a rush had no time and put them in storage.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM
dominicevans

Default RE: rc truck sitting for some time

well put in some ARO oil now and turn over the engine . Check glow plugs and fuel line. Then try starting
Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

The proper thing to do would be to put some ARO in it to make sure your starting doesn't scar the sleeve... check airfilters, fuel lines, etc...

HOWEVER... I've been off-and-on with R/C over the last 3 years and have let mine sit for 6 months and longer... charged, fueled... and it ran fine. If it's really gummed up, I'd take it apart and clean it....

Oh, and a new glow plug wouldn't hurt, either.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

First of all, change the fuel in the Savage's tank. These tanks are open to the atmosphere, and methanol is very hygroscopic. After 8 months, the fuel will be unusable.

Second, the engines should be fine to start, as long as you didn't wash them out prior to putting them away. The oils and rust inhibitors in modern fuels will prevent corrosion and keep the engine sufficiently lubricated for the next start.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 PM
[email protected]

thanks guys! i thought it would be fine just the savage I had some fear. I should be running by next week and spending money that makes the wife a tad[:@][:@][:@] well you guys know. whats a good servo saver for the mgt anyone know. I broke it in storage some how.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 AM
nubzorz

Put some nitro fuel or after run oil in the motor and let it sit for 10-20mins let the after run get inbetwen the sleeve and piston. Try tilting the car all different directions and try to spread the oil or nitro throughout the motor before trying to pullstart it. You dont want to scratch the piston or sleeve.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

The large Kimrough servo savers seem to work pretty well.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: nubzorz

Put some nitro fuel or after run oil in the motor and let it sit for 10-20mins let the after run get inbetwen the sleeve and piston. Try tilting the car all different directions and try to spread the oil or nitro throughout the motor before trying to pullstart it. You dont want to scratch the piston or sleeve.
Turning the engine over dry will not scratch the piston or sleeve. The sleeve's chromium plating is extremely hard and has high lubricity. You're not going to abrade it by rubbing a silicon-aluminum alloy against it, and you're not going to scratch the piston by forcing it against such a low friction surface.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: Barber420

The large Kimrough servo savers seem to work pretty well.
The LST guys use the MGT servo saver bottom with the LST top and springs when they switch from the JR servos....
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fuel lines, by blowing threw them off of the tank, and the exhaust pressure line also. Hold one end and blow no noise or leakage, your in good shape. The savage fuel tank, I would rinse out with everclear, and you can take a shot to!!! Just Kidding, but rinse it with a small amount of fuel, to loosen up any gummed up oil in the tank, and dump out. And yes a few drops of after run or a brief blast of wd-40 won't hurt the internal parts, during the initial restarting. Fresh glow plugs would not hurt either, but then again?

It only takes a few seconds to run the engine and fuel tank dry when your finished bashing, and only about 2 minutes to loosen up the glow plug and give her a shot of after run to, pull the air filter off and shoot a little after run down the carb, that will lube and protect the lower end till next start up.

Oh and clean the air filters and re lube.

A repeat of a lot of good advice already given.

Famous quote from a lawnmower customer. " I did'nt know you have check the oil!!!!"

**** happens, we all stupid things from one time to another, but not me " I am perfect" and if you believe that one

subsitutes for afterrun: WD-40, marvel mystery oil.