Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:48 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DONE WITH NITRO

ORIGINAL: wigit flipcup

made a new vid yesterday
i was the guy driving the nitro truck and then filming for the rustler.
p.s in the vid after the jump i snapped the chassis and thats all it took. the moment it went off the jump it discombobulated the dogbone also, damage that costs $50 alone. then my starter broke. then the one way clutch. then the motor mount. then the spur gears, all in one day.
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/106200/
Still don't understand how breaking something on a jump has anything to do with it being nitro.

Have broken plenty electric cars too.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Bluethunder3320

ya know what i cant resist... getting a ofna ultra lx-1 buggy
Old 12-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my! I was going to participate in this thread by saying something along the lines of "nitro is a hobby", "electric is a toy". To add credibility, I decided to look up the dictionary definition of "hobby", and "Oh No!", all I could find were things along this line:

"an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation", or

"a pastime, something you enjoy doing in your spare time"

So that screwed things up.....LOL.

But seriously, whatever you like is fine. I tend to think that people who don't play with nitro engines are missing out on a big part of the hobby...tweaking and tuning. I think the level of excitment while driving is down as well if there isn't a nitro engine at work propelling the vehicle at crazy revs, lots of noise, and the aroma of glo-fuel exhaust in the air. A lot of satisfaction to be had when it all comes together.

If you really only enjoy driving, electric might be for you. Otherwise, try to persevere.....once you get a little better at nitro engine tuning and tweaking, I really think you'll have more fun. But there will always be exceptions.....people who don't like fuel on their hands, only are interested in driving, etc.

Now I try not to judge or criticize, but its hard not to. Those darn gasser guys... all went gasoline because they couldn't tune a nitro engine...basically because they didin't take the time. Yes, I own a 5B too....darn boring. Havn't used it in a year. Has all the excitement of starting a lawn-mower or a whipper-snipper. Fun to drive, but something so important is missing...the fun in making it run as well as I can...which comes part and parcel with nitro, just isn't there with gas.

So what's the criticism? If you go electric because you like it better, that's great. If you go gasoline because you like it better, that's also great. But if you give up nitro because tuning seemed more difficult that learning to ride a bike, my advice is to keep trying for a while. You will either get better at it and enjoy a whole part of the hobby you could be missing, or you will learn to hate it so much, you'll turn to electric or gasoline.

Maybe you're already there, but I'm not sure from what I read.........

Best of luck. All RC is fun.....but us nitro-snobs have more fun.....(IMO....LOL)
Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 AM
jeepyj027

I've had my fair share of nitro and electrics since i was 12. I'm 18 now and i've sold all my elec. stuff except a few 1/18 scale trucks. I can get my maxx out and play for hours as long as i have fuel. When I had my e maxx and my rustler it was 10- maybe 15 minutes of fun and 45 minutes to wait for batteries to cool and charge. I'm not that rough on a truck but I couldnt get the emaxx out without breaking something but I can usually go for a while before my tmaxx breaks something. Pretty much the same truck there.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Lord Maccrage

Go easier on your truck man. You will break less stuff, and I agree with everyone else. Changing the power souce to electric wont make it any more durable. And here is my number one tip. If your friends are telling you to jump the car 50 feet in the air, see how fast you can go in reverse, or any other stupid stuff like that, DON'T. Trust me, I drove my Revo into a lake "SPLASH"[:@] I understand your frustration though. Give the nitro some time, and if you still dont like it then switch. But keep in mind that Electric is more expensive because the batteries are what like 30-50+ bucks a piece, and they don't last forever. I must say that electric is going to be the way of the future because they dont have the limitations of a internal combustion engine. The power to weight ratio in electrics can be improved so much, and it will with technology. Nitro, not so much. Im not saying electric is better(actually I like nitro more because of the smell[>:] noise blah blah blah) but people that say electrics are toys are full of crap, espically when the electric cars go flying by their nitro cars. And my favorite part about the electrics is the torque! Just my opinion(im no expert). GOOD LUCK and don't think you're the only one that gets frustrated with this hobby.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Paul1981

ORIGINAL: Argess

Those darn gasser guys... all went gasoline because they couldn't tune a nitro engine...basically because they didin't take the time.
NOT true!!! Not even CLOSE to being true! I can tune a nitro engine (as I'm sure many other large-scalers can), but the main reasons I switched up scales were these:

1. I got sick of paying 4 times (or greater) the amount for a gallon of nitromethane that Inow pay for a gallon of 95 octane.

2. Nitro engines drink fuel when compared to a gas/petrol engine, even with a venturi in the carb to make it run on less fuel & air. Which makes it more expensive still to run.

3. I'd had nitro's for 5 years+ and wanted something bigger, better, more durable.

4. You can't get many (if any) large scales which have nitro engines!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
dudecat

I have both and new to nitro and i must say nitro is expensive but the power it puts out and the sound are just amazing. I mean look at the aftershock (truck i won) and this thing hauls and its really big for a nitro truck. My mighty bull doesn't even compare to it. Both have there ups and downs. I like nitro cause it makes me think about what might be wrong with the setting i am using. Electric is the batteries are not that cheap for the amount of run time you get. Plus my bull eats them up fast so the nitro does run longer on a tank of gas then my 3 batteries do in my electric does. To each there own is my opinion about it.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:29 AM
Monosoto

Hey Guys Yea Sick Of Nitro Myself about to convert My 1/8 Kyosho Madforce from NITRO to Electric, Currently runs the GX .21 Ported Sleeve (High Compression) Engine, and Swapping for the LRP V10 Spec 4 17x2, also have a HPI Saturn 20T and a Traxxas Titan 12T  to toy round with see what motors better....any help???? anyone Modded a HMT Madforce b4 to Elect Crawler????

Old 01-24-2010, 03:55 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Monosoto

Hey Guys Yea Sick Of Nitro Myself about to convert My 1/8 Kyosho Madforce from NITRO to Electric, Currently runs the GX .21 Ported Sleeve (High Compression) Engine, and Swapping for the LRP V10 Spec 4 17x2, also have a HPI Saturn 20T and a Traxxas Titan 12T to toy round with see what motors better....any help???? anyone Modded a HMT Madforce b4 to Elect Crawler????

Just curious...what's making you sick of nitro? A Simple engine upgrade may be a lot less headache than an electric conversion, and remove any issues you're having with the GX21
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 PM
megamaxx

i am not sick of nitro myself,i am giving it up 1. due to sheer expense (3 trucks running all day=a lot of effen fuel) 2.danger to my grand children,5 and 7 years old and very interested in the hobby,tried the oldest with the nitro and close supervision.just very nerve racking with all that can go wrong with what goes with running nitro.yes there are some dangers with electric,just not as many that could be potentially dangerous to a lil one. hence the switch
Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM
HRCules77
My Feedback: (4)

The fuel part I understand completely. I used almost 1/2 gallon of fuel through my Axial .28 in one weekend. In the U.S. this wouldn't be so bad since a gallon of fuel is between 15-20 clams. I was not here though I was THERE (there being British Columbia, Canada on an island even some Canadians haven't heard of). Being THERE had it's price....like a gallon of Traxxas 20% was over $30 (plus an obscene amount of tax). It only went up from there. I cried, a lot.
Also, my youngest son (15 mos) is scared of my nitro even when its not running and just sitting on the floor. How can I coax a controller into his hand when he's wetting himself? This is no way to get him into the hobby. Rather, I think it's a set up for future therapy and stupid high does of questionable western medicine. Cheers, to going electric.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: HRCules77

The fuel part I understand completely. I used almost 1/2 gallon of fuel through my Axial .28 in one weekend. In the U.S. this wouldn't be so bad since a gallon of fuel is between 15-20 clams. I was not here though I was THERE (there being British Columbia, Canada on an island even some Canadians haven't heard of). Being THERE had it's price....like a gallon of Traxxas 20% was over $30 (plus an obscene amount of tax). It only went up from there. I cried, a lot.
Also, my youngest son (15 mos) is scared of my nitro even when its not running and just sitting on the floor. How can I coax a controller into his hand when he's wetting himself? This is no way to get him into the hobby. Rather, I think it's a set up for future therapy and stupid high does of questionable western medicine. Cheers, to going electric.
First off
Your son's a year old. He's supposed to be scared of stuff that's loud.

Second off...where in the US is good nitro only $15-20 a gallon? Plane fuel that's like 5% nitro, sure...not so with 25-30% nitro for cars. That's still 30-35 bucks.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Lilredmachine

Some of the nitro heads in here seem to have an odd idea about electric and are basing there opinions on the past. I used to run nitro, i've never blown a motor apart from a very old trx 3.3 that I finished off in a unlimited monster race and I used to tune for my LHS. It's piss easy. Eventually I left it behind as nitro became outdated and outmoded. Noise and clatter is all inefficiency, can't be having that when we need all the energy we can get to transfer into kinetic...

A real 5hp peak (never seen a nitro motor crack a real 2.5hp on a dyno) from a 600 can size BL motor @ 85% efficiency on 6s is just unbelievable, especially when you have the ability to tune the power delivery, throttle curves, control the output of the motor... Electric has far more variables in tuning than twisting some funny knobs poking out of a mildly modified pump.

The brutal power delivery of electric will ensure you will be plenty busy enough rebuilding the drivetrain and replacing parts without having to make sure the motor is operating as it should because the sun has gone behind some clouds. I think some of you lads really need to come out into the sunlight and blink a bit. The backwards view of electric marks you out as dinosaurs unwilling to accept that electric is a viable proposition with cheap batteries that last upwards of 30 minutes and speeds that are more than a match for anything stock or tuned that chews nitro.

There is more than enough room for nitro and electric to co-exist, but the boundaries are breaking down... If you think that electric is for noobs, well then try putting a first timer in charge of a flux on 6s and see how long it takes for them to scare the bejesus out of you or themselves and break someones leg. If you think that they are toys, well next time you are fiddling with the HSN settings on your truggy, watch the guy next to you with the laptop make instant and informed changes, loading settings onto his MMM for the next race. Electrics are no longer toys, they are the pinnacle of the hobby and the only segment with any real room left for expansion and progression.

Nitro guys, stop hiding behind the 'they only went electric because they can't tune' ploy, and face up to the fact that faced with a high end brushless esc, a laptop and a race in 5 minutes you wouldn't have a clue what you were bleeding doing. Expertise is something learned with time, do not be so condescending as to assume it does not apply to anything other than nitro...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
stcla1r

blah,blah,blah,what a load.if i wanted to play with an eletric motor i would go wash clothes.nitro has a cool factor,that's why most people who buy the stuff got into it in the first place.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Monosoto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monosoto

Hey Guys Yea Sick Of Nitro Myself about to convert My 1/8 Kyosho Madforce from NITRO to Electric, Currently runs the GX .21 Ported Sleeve (High Compression) Engine, and Swapping for the LRP V10 Spec 4 17x2, also have a HPI Saturn 20T and a Traxxas Titan 12T  to toy round with see what motors better....any help???? anyone Modded a HMT Madforce b4 to Elect Crawler????

yea had lots of fun with Nitro's from the FW05T Drift Spec 2sp with Monster Ported Sleeve and Extreamly High Compression and 25% Nitro Fuel :-P Yea Fun!!!!!, Jus wanting to build the madforce into a crawler, its great as a basher but unfort there is also alot of parts you chew up trying with the RTR version and as parts are now rare as hens teeth i thought it best to do a custom modification to the badass HMT and Go HMT Crawler.

Any Idea's On Mods worth trying???

Old 01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Yeah, how about using a motor worth a crap?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: stcla1r

blah,blah,blah,what a load.if i wanted to play with an eletric motor i would go wash clothes.nitro has a cool factor,that's why most people who buy the stuff got into it in the first place.
No, the serious people got into it because they wanted to go racing, and most of the racing series were electric... Before all these big shiny monster trucks and 1/8th buggies with noisy engines became really popular rather than a novelty (seriously, the T-maxx kind of started the popularity for MTs, before then they weren't that common) nitro was an irrelevance, they were for want of a better name, toys. People had them so that they could blow off steam when not racing inbetween meets. I remember being at a BRCA sanctioned event having just finished the on road 4wd main and someone pulled out a nitro car and we all had a laugh as this heavy, slow curiosity lumbered round the track. The only thing it had on the electrics was it ran for more than 5 minutes.

Back in the bad old days electric on and off road was king. Tire warmers, cell matching, motors needing a rebuild after 3 runs... People have short memories.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
gflight37

For those who think nitro trucks are a bottomless pit and frustrating, this nothing, you should try nitro helis.  Youwill learn patience and the meaning of money pit.  Just imagine new tires every time you wreck your truck.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

gflight, that's why ThunderbirdJunkie likes his cars. Ya don't HAVE to leave the ground to have fun with em, but when you land upside down it's nowhere near as pricey as a heli or plane
Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Paul1981

4. You can't get many (if any) large scales which have nitro engines!

I would be sweet if you could modd the carb on a HPI Baja 5t to run Methanol, then later down the road switch it to Methanol and Nitormethane. Think of the HP you would get out of a modded 30cc when they are getting 3.5-4 hp out of a 4.6 cc engine. I dont know if you can make one of those wabro carbs flow engough fuel to run methanol. It would have to flow double the fuel to run methanol over gasoline, even more if you want to run methanol and nitromethane.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:51 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess you have never tried BL and lipo huh? You'd toss your nitro off to the side after just one run. Dig it.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: gflight37

For those who think nitro trucks are a bottomless pit and frustrating, this nothing, you should try nitro helis. Youwill learn patience and the meaning of money pit. Just imagine new tires every time you wreck your truck.
Helis are for the folks with deep pockets. Nothing wrong with that....I couldn't imagine crashing one though-even once.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: black mamba

Guess you have never tried BL and lipo huh? You'd toss your nitro off to the side after just one run. Dig it.
Uh, no...

ThunderbirdJunkie has driven his XXXNT AD2 at least as much as his SC10 since he got his SC10...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 AM
black mamba

What do you have in that SC10? If it's stock, I can see why. lol
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Sidewinder 4600 running on 2s. ThunderbirdJunkie's junk does not stay stock. It wasn't a kit anyway; You should know that

Running 18/87 gearing, and it's not really any faster than the AD2's .12TR. Granted, the AD2 has a lot more meat putting the power to the ground than the SC10, tires are about twice as wide...but power wise, there's not a huge difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.