Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Kyosho MFR- little write up for those that are curious

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Kyosho MFR- little write up for those that are curious

Old 10-24-2009, 06:34 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kyosho MFR- little write up for those that are curious

So I figured since there is little real world information out there about this truck, I'd do a little write up. The story goes, that I've been hunting MFRs since their release for their very compact transmissions- the smallest transmission made with reverse and neutral as a plus. This is for my 1/8 4 stroke car project for maximum realism. While I will be ripping the tranny out and parting the truck out on ebay, I figured I might as well have some fun with it before I do just to see how it runs.

I got this truck off ebay used for $170 shipped with about $40 in new spare parts, included stock body (trashed), and a Pro-line Ford series pick up. The truck itself, looks like its been fairly used to say the least. First impressions of the truck- extremely light, looks like it has the potential to kill every other MT on the track. Seriously, this thing is 2lbs lighter stock than a T-maxx/Revo- and it has an extra servo for the transmission as well as motor assisted start similar to Traxxas' easy start. The shocks are very beefy for a 1/10 MT like this, I run a 4 shock setup on my Savage and these dwarf them substantially. The transmission, AWESOME! It is very small in construction, but gives FWD/N/Reverse- you can't beat that!

The main gripe about this truck, is while it is extremely light- the driveline looks puny to me. The center dogbones can't have more than a 5mm diameter, and thats a generous assumption. The ring and pinion are spiral cut, they look very small, but should be durable because of their construction. Toe links are thin, and the a-arms look like they could use some more meat on them- but still satisfactory.

The weak driveline was proven already, because I bought the truck with a broken front diff outdrive- a $5 part.

Overall, I can't wait to run the truck since its been the first new vehicle in my house for a while, and its 4lbs lighter than my Savage- should be fun... [>:]

If this truck had a beefier drivetrain, I'd buy a new one and go big block on it, it would seriously be the best MT sleeper out there, by tearing out the electronic starter, third servo, and going FWD only on the tranny with a big block- this truck would be formidable on the track or in any conditions- except bashing..

I need to put it together cause the seller shipped it with the engine uninstalled as well as some other minor things, so hopefully I will be running it and provide pics tomorrow or the day after.

Tom.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:50 PM
TAKZILLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho MFR- little write up for those that are curious

sounds good,get those pics up [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 10-25-2009, 06:59 PM
rcnitrohead

I ran the truck today, it starts extremely easily. Starting in neutral is hassle free, as you don't have to have your foot on or blocking a tire so the truck wont run away from you when you blip the throttle hard. The touch starter is a neat feature, much easier than the Traxxas EZ start. When my starter battery started to drain, it sounded like a real car cranking over slowly- awesome haha. The engine is having a problem running, it runs fine with the igniter on it, even with it off its fine until you apply over 1/4 throttle. I tried taking it richer because it seemed lean, but it would stall even quicker. Suggestions? When I put this thing in neutral, I can stand there and rev it all day long , its beyond cool- I love it. The suspension is extremely soft, too soft for any jumping- it will literally bottom out from 3ft with almost max preload applied. The steering radius is pretty bad, the previous owner installed a Traxxas waterproof steering servo which does the job well, but the throw is just incomplete. The driveshafts scare me, I was way too generous in my assumption, they look barely 3mm in diameter for the central shafts. Thats it for today- more to come as I try to get the engine running properly.

Pics:

Chassis:

Underside:

Thin dogbones:

VS my Savage- Savage is 4lbs heavier:

Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats an interesting truck for sure. Bash the heck out of it before you part it out!

If i were you I would replace the glowplug if you dont think the reason it wont run is in the tuning. I have had bad glow plugs do some wierd things before. Sometimes they will start the truck, but the engine wont perform right.

What kind of power does the motor seem to have? The driveshafts do look pretty small. Its possible they wouldnt need to be quite as big since the truck is light, but i still like for stuff to be overkill. Cant hardly beat the savage for overkill

Id say the worst part about that truck is that finding parts would be pretty hard without ordering them. The starter and the neutral feature on the transmission is neat though!

Eric
Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
rcnitrohead

Eric- Surprisingly, there are a decent amount of replacements parts available for this truck- I've noted several sites that carry most of the parts that would break for this truck- so support isn't too bad at all- at least not anywhere near as bad as for the previous Kyosho MTs.

Yeah, I'll definitely give the truck a run- but hopefully not hard enough to break anything, as this is an investment I'll probably lose money on. I bought the truck for $170 shipped, it has over $60 in brand new replacement parts that the buyer didn't really mention in the auction. Then there is the truck, which looks like its been used for 3 gallons max, just bashed hard. The engine has great pinch, starts easily, idles well, since I couldn't put it through its paces, all I can comment on is that it has mediocre low end snap- but builds torque quickly with just a small grab of the trigger. For sure, I'll replace the plug, return to factory settings, and if need be- seal the engine up, though I checked for air bubbles in the lines and there were none.

See about the drivetrain, I'd agree- but the previous owner already destroyed one of the diff output shafts, so you already know its weak if that happens with the RTR engine . If one could possible transplant beefier components from another Kyosho vehicle/ etc. - it would be an awesome truck. I believe Kyosho sells upgrade universals for the truck, so the issue may be easily remedied.

The transmission is beyond awesome, its less than half the size of the Traxxas and HPI transmissions AND has 2 speeds with FWD/NTRL/REV- you can't beat that! Its going to be so awesome in my project, definitely worth the wait.

Tom.