0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Which MT should I get?

Old 11-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which MT should I get?

Looking to get back into Nitro. Wanting to find a good monster truck that's affordable. The MGT 3.0 is ~$270 while the other 2 are ~$390. How much more truck am I getting for the $120 or so? $400 is my max budget and coming in below budget is always good. Will mostly be used for playing around in the yard.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which MT should I get?

Of the 2 you have listed I would definently get the Savage over the MGT. They are great truck and there is a ton of aftermarket support if you descide to do any hop-ups.

But in my opinion you left out the best one. I would suggest getting a Losi LST based truck. A new XXL is going run $669 but you can easily find a nice used LST or LST 2 for well within you price range. Check these links from the RCU market place.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/sea...Data=424%7Ecar
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/sea...Data=657%7Ecar
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/sea...Data=749%7Ecar
Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Doxiedad

I like the LST but I was wanting to buy new. I've bought used electric before and it can be hit or miss. Not sure about a used Nitro though
Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 AM
sheograth

Of all those I'd get the Savage, mainly because of the wealth of aftermarket parts and the ready availability of both aftermarket and stock parts. It's not that AE has bad parts support at all, but I think the Savage has a greater library of them.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 AM
BigDen2.5R

How about an [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_50/products_id/7328/n/Team-Losi-Aftershock-Monster-Truck-RTR-W-26-XR2i-Radio]Aftershock[/link] for $334.99, you can upgrade it to a lst2 in the future if you wish.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Sugafree

Aftershock's $299 , Here ( Put it in your cart to see the Price....)
Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Doxiedad

An aftershock is basically a LST isn't it? Or do I have my Losi history wrong? I'd still need to pick up a roto start with it. I might have to look into that.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Freezetron

Keep in mind how easy it is for you to get parts for the truck as well as costs as a result. Having a LHS carry parts on hand is crap loads that cost a little bit more is better then having to online order everything and wait for it + shipping costs. My LHS carries CRAP loads of parts for HPI and Traxxas trucks. Team AE and Losi...not so much.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Losi products come with much better radio and engine gear, well worth the extra expense...the HPI engines and radio gear are pretty lame IMO.........
Old 11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Doxiedad

Same at my LHS tons of Traxxas, a bit of HPI too. Starting to carry more Losi, almost none for AE
Old 11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Doxiedad

An aftershock is basically a LST isn't it? Or do I have my Losi history wrong? I'd still need to pick up a roto start with it. I might have to look into that.
That is right. they are very similar and most parts are interchangable. $299 for a new one is a great price too.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: supertib

The Losi products come with much better radio and engine gear, well worth the extra expense...the HPI engines and radio gear are pretty lame IMO.........
*shrug* A better quality radio system doesn't cost that much and most are more flexible then Losi's systems
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

*shrug* A better quality radio system doesn't cost that much and most are more flexible then Losi's systems

Don't all the Losi's come with the D3R ? that IMO is a pretty big bonus that definitely is worth considering before purchase.....
Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Doxiedad

Don't all the Losi's come with the D3R ? that IMO is a pretty big bonus that definitely is worth considering before purchase.....
The aftershock does not. It comes with their old 2.4 ghz radio
Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
vwb563

Of the three you have listed I would definately choose the Savage 4.6 hands down.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Doxiedad

The aftershock does not. It comes with their old 2.4 ghz radio
I would take the "old 2.4 ghz" over the AM crap the other 2 come with. plus you get a truck that handles better with a superior engine.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Sugafree

Losi's 2.4 Radio kinda Sucks IMO............I'd Take the JR XR2i AM Radio over it any day......But Yes in General Losi's come with Nice Radio's & Mills.......
Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
silverman1

Aftershock all the way, built on a lst platform, they handle great compared to a savage plus the 2.4 radio will be much better, yeah it does not have all the bells and whistles that some am & fm systems have but your still getting a better vehicle. After you break a couple times you'll know what to keep around parts wise. If your like me and nearest hobby shop is over 100 mile round trip you'll use mail order.

I can't argue with the fact though that if you go traxxas, or hpi savage finding parts at your local hobby shops will increase by 100 %
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Doxiedad

ok hopefully the poll will work now.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does your local hobby shop carry parts for? If you're not into ordering stuff online at the drop of a hat, that's an important factor.. How is part availability in general for the mini MGT? Does it have any known issues or needed upgrades? To be honest, all the trucks on your list there are good for what you say you want to do - mess around in the yard.. Next up from the Mini MGT is the full-size.. Nicer, bigger, tough, basic.. A Savage could be good - lot of body, tuning, gearing, engine, modding etc.. options there... Aftershock will be the biggest and fastest I think.. - also needs some upgrades - or is likely to soonish... If you're really REALLY REALLY on a budget, and also REALLY sure all you want to do is zip around the yard.., I'd say get one of the MGT's...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Doxiedad

My LHS is about 40 miles away and stocks mostly Traxxas stuff with a little HPI and some Losi. My "yard" is about 2 acres so it'll have room to run. Eventually I'd like to get some dirt/clay put down and make my own track for fun and such but that's off in the future.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I'm a Losi fan and have two LST2's, and IMO they are the best MT's ever - so ideal would be the XXL(just my opinion - not looking to discuss or argue about it with others..)

I realize though that's over your budget.. So it's a tough call.. I was a Savage fan, but gave up on them because I experienced way too many quality issues. IMO the plastic quality sucks. IF however you are into modding, upgrades, extended chassis, all kinds of tuning etc.., then the Savage might be worth a look. It does have a lot of possibilities.

If you just want something solid and cheap to run, then the full size MGT is a good, basic all arounder.

The Aftershock is hard for me to like too much, cuz it's bascially an LST2 with a lot of cut corners - especially very thin a-arms.. So if you plan on jumping I would be wary..
Though a lot of guys really like their AS's.. So I may well be selling it short.. It will be fast - and it's big with huge tires for plowing through and over stuff...

An LST2 somewhere on e-bay or something might be worth a try.. The LST2 is discontinued, but it's pretty much the same as a Losi XXL.

So yeah, as I said, I'm all for the Losi XXL. But I know how budgets are.. So that being the case, the best advice I can give is.... - MGT, Savage, Aftershock - they're all in the same league.. Get whatever appeals to you most... They're all good really...

EDIT - OK, I'll try to shed some bias for just a few seconds to give you my honest advice. If your budget is strict, and on the assumption that it's not that much more expensive than the other two, I would get the Savage.. Assuming you don't get a lemon, it can be a solid fun truck for bashing around in the yard, etc..
Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
SAVAGEJIM

^^ I'm with you Herr, even though I still am a Savage fan.
I agree, ever since HPI reduced their standards and went with cheap taiwan plastics instead of staying with the better polycarbonate nylon, HPI did start putting out a lesser product materialwise.

And as much as a Savage XL costs today, instead I do wish that they would go back to the better plastics, address other key issues (such as adding another brake set in front of the tranny), use better steels quality in their dogbones and diff cups (particularly their center diff cups), firing Kingstar as their engine supplier and hiring OS (even their VG engines would be better quality wise, even though you might have to replace the piston and nickle sleeve more often), etc.

I am still a Savage fan, but I am also a very hard critic too, lol.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I love everything about my savage. I had an MGT and it was a great truck, but the chassis aluminum is soft, and i dont like the aluminum drive cups on the tranny. It is a solid truck, and handles better than the savage, I just think the savage is more fun to drive, and more durable. Not to mention it flies like a bird in the air

6 gallons and the only thing i have replaced in my savage was the rear differential, the clutch, and some clutch bell bearings. I have the older .25 version that is said to have the best plastics, but a boy i know has a new 4.6, and it has been good for him.

The center drive cups do wear after a while, but they are cheap, and I have my own little fix for that, which involves a welder and a grinder
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Doxiedad

My only concern about the Savage is I've heard it drives like a tank. I don't want something that'll flip every time I turn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.