Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

water cooled nitro trucks. have any one tryed it yet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

water cooled nitro trucks. have any one tryed it yet

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM
jermainezey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: water cooled nitro trucks. have any one tryed it yet

ok look dude i say go for it, i dont see any reason not too. if your going to use it as a rock crawler it has a real application

have you thought about how your going to actualy cool the motor, like do you have a marine head for them? if not you can use some copper tubing wrapped around the head. but remember youll need brolly and 8oz tank to hold the anti freeze. this will provide enough to keep the enigine cool. and not overheat and melt the tank.

but as far as a pump goes im not sure if the refueling pump will hold up to the temps.
for electric motors it works quite well, i built a bullet car, like straight line with a 540 size brushless lipo running 10,000 mah 2s2p packs.
i water cooled it scince the car was completly enclosed minuse the wheels touching the ground. kinda cool, really a good wast of time scince it couldnt turn tho. sold it a while back

Hide Signatures
i am going to build the rock crawler a lil later frist am going to use it on the monster truck so i can play around with it a lil bit i was think go with the copper tubing but i think am going to use the trx pro .15 engine and use the marine head and mainfold. i like your post i did get mad are any thing i just letting u know am doing it to see if i can make it work cuz every one keeps say if u use a nitro engine in a rock crawler it will be geared so low it will over heat so am try to see if may be a go water cooled it want over heat, what did u use for a water pump in your set up
Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 PM
jermainezey

coolant pump, radiator, cooling coil/lines for the engine, and reservoir tank what did u use for this parts and where did u get them
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Dan M
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jermainezey

so i should use the anit freeze but very lil right mosty water but sum aint freeze to keep the copper from rust in out right
i tried the Google interpreter to translate this gibberish and it crashed .
Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 AM
jermainezey

what are u talking bout
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 AM
jermainezey

coolant pump, radiator, cooling coil/lines for the engine, and reservoir tank what did u use for this parts and where did u get them
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 AM
jermainezey

if u want me to i can re write it for u if it will help
Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pumps, but I've decided to make my own gear. I'll be making pumps using brass and soldering the pieces up, pumps will be centrifugal- very simple design with a small rotor to create flow. Cooling coil, you can buy 1/4-1/8" HVAC grade copper tubing that is very malleable and conducts head well. Radiator and tank will be made out of brass mostly as well.

All custom made, trust me I've searched through tons of cooling options, best way is to make your own.

I don't like to post pics of the progress I made so far without a dedicated build thread, but to give you an idea, here is a pic of the model I am using... Progress is slow, as I have limited funds and am buying a 1:1 car soon, so I haven't been making too much progress. I plan on doing to cooling system around thanksgiving when I have off though, if I finish- I'll post pics and instructions.

Engine compared to TRX 2.5:

All I want to show [>:]
Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 PM
jermainezey

thinks for the info it good to know am not the only one trying to come up with sum thing new and custom built
Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM
rcnitrohead

Its not new by any means, just not common or cheap/practical to do on R/C cars if the components are bought. TCS makes micro pumps, but their prices are ridiculous... Custom, well yeah my car is scratch built, its not really a new thing either- there are sites where people do R/C fabrication you can only dream of. This will open your eyes a bit, and maybe even give you some answers for the pumps and tank.

This is a reason why I love this particular forum, the level of realism and detail are beyond amazing:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ghlight=peewee

Flip through the pics, and I guarantee your jaw will drop several times...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Lorduss

been done several times, you have the right direction with motor and such.
you dont want anything but a marine motor, you cant wrap a cooling head in tubing and get the thermal transfer you need, if you could add fins ontop of a water cooled head you would be doing even better.
when the tmaxx came out about 9 years ago, within a year a few water cool projects where running.
its all quite possible, it all comes down to how much tweaking and tuning your willing to do to make it work right.
i think a perry pump is what your looking for, tapping into the crank case of the engine, the pulse powers the pump, tower hobbies has them. that takes care of your water pump needs,
the radatior needs to be custom obviously, but decently sized, and with a fan unless your giving it airflow.
i never researched them much, but they have been done and they do work.
good luck, make us proud.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Dan M

i feel sorry for that nice piece of Japanese air Jewelry your going to bash with , your going to make it eat dirt and do stuff it was never meant to do !

why not put that saito in an airplane ? that's where it's supposed to go !

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 PM
jermainezey

been done several times, you have the right direction with motor and such.
you dont want anything but a marine motor, you cant wrap a cooling head in tubing and get the thermal transfer you need, if you could add fins ontop of a water cooled head you would be doing even better.
when the tmaxx came out about 9 years ago, within a year a few water cool projects where running.
its all quite possible, it all comes down to how much tweaking and tuning your willing to do to make it work right.
i think a perry pump is what your looking for, tapping into the crank case of the engine, the pulse powers the pump, tower hobbies has them. that takes care of your water pump needs,
the radatior needs to be custom obviously, but decently sized, and with a fan unless your giving it airflow.
i never researched them much, but they have been done and they do work.
good luck, make us proud.
I THINK AM JUST GOING TO USE THE MARINE COOLING HEAD AND MARINE HEADER THAT THEY MAKE FOR MY ENGINE AND AM GOING TO USE A FAN THAT CAME OUT OF MY DEST TOP COMPUTER SNICE I BUILD COMPUTERS I HAVE A LOT OF PARTS AND FANS I COULD PLAY AROUND WITH
Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 PM
jermainezey

i feel sorry for that nice piece of Japanese air Jewelry your going to bash with , your going to make it eat dirt and do stuff it was never meant to do !

your talking about air planes we talking bout cars
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Dan M

ORIGINAL: jermainezey

your talking about air planes we talking bout cars
did your parents have any kids that lived ?

see the engine on the left ? it's an AIRPLANE engine , a Saito black knight 4 Stroke AIRPLANE engine .

so your talking about airplanes , eh ?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
jermainezey

naw we talkng about cooling a rc car engine he put the pic of the air plane engine to show how it look in size next to the 3.3 engine because we was talking about the .15 and the 2.5
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
jermainezey

did your parents have any kids that lived ?
so what u trying to say what do my parents have to do with this ,
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 PM
savagecommander

its an off topic reference to full metal jacket.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
jermainezey

aw ok , i dont rember that part

Old 11-25-2009, 12:24 AM
rcnitrohead

How am I going to bash an engine thats going into an on road project? That car is for pure realism, otherwise I wouldn't bother building a full cooling/ on board starting system to keep it running.. Its that type of mentality that kills creativity- put it in a plane, where its supposed to be... What would this hobby be without tinkering and fabrication? Whatever, no need to explain- I just need to finish the car already.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 AM
andybenton

ok so i definatly love full metal jacket

PRIVATE PILE!!!!!

but back to the original post topic. if you decide that you uhm idk maybe want to part ways with one of those pumps.
uh hum cough cough i might be looking for one cough cough

im building an Indepensant suspension rock crawler from my stampede and a water cooling system would be extra freakin handy, not to mention a fancy four stroke engine

or if any one knows a nice smallish engine that makes good torque, not worried about hp not worried about rpms, torque!
it would be great if someone had a suggestion

Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 PM
rcnitrohead

^ You'd be looking for a 4-stroke then. They make major torque on the low end and are fuel efficient- not to mention sound awesome. The trick is finding (or making your own) gearing to make the engine work for your application, and keeping it cool. If you would want to go with 4-stroke, google is gonna be your new friend, your gonna run into a lot of hurdles trying to bolt one it- but it will pay off if you can finish.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Dan M

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

^ You'd be looking for a 4-stroke then. They make major torque on the low end and are fuel efficient- not to mention sound awesome. The trick is finding (or making your own) gearing to make the engine work for your application, and keeping it cool. If you would want to go with 4-stroke, google is gonna be your new friend, your gonna run into a lot of hurdles trying to bolt one it- but it will pay off if you can finish.

or gas
Old 11-26-2009, 08:23 PM
rcnitrohead

Gas would completely suck for a crawler... They need twice the displacement to make the same power, while thats also true with 4-strokes, 4 bangers come in a MUCH smaller package, and don't need spark ignition to run.

[8D]
Old 11-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Dan M

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Gas would completely suck for a crawler... They need twice the displacement to make the same power, while thats also true with 4-strokes, 4 bangers come in a MUCH smaller package, and don't need spark ignition to run.

[8D]
diesel ?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 PM
jermainezey

well it really all about what i can come up with and make work like i said be fore the engine is going be a traxxas pro .15 i have already started on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.