Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

water cooled nitro trucks. have any one tryed it yet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

water cooled nitro trucks. have any one tryed it yet

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:55 PM
jermainezey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: water cooled nitro trucks. have any one tryed it yet

just tore the .15 down to the bare block so i can start the rebuild on it
Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dang lol, I've been busy as hell! Gotta start working on the water cooling system. I'll try and pick up the materials for it Sunday, get some progress done already. Also need more cement for working with plastic for my body. Good luck with the project, I'll try and build the pumps/ radiator over this next coming week. No promises tho, I've got finals all week
Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Dan M
My Feedback: (1)

what size is that Saito 4 stroke ? .50 ? or bigger ?

and how are you going to cool it ? are you doing a fan and radiator type setup or have you gotten that far ?

are you going to use a big flywheel ? that engine will really turn a slow idle under the right circumstances , one that would be very scale sounding .

do you have a straight header for that engine ? the header is really not that much louder then the muffler .

best wishes

Dan
Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 PM
rcnitrohead

Saito is a 56. Will be cooled by air and liquid means. The engine will be sitting parallel with the ground or horizontal in the engine bay- not much space, especially with transverse mounting. I will have a tank with coolant, connected to a pump, which in turn will be connected to 1/4in copper cooling coils wrapped around the engine heatsink, linked to the radiator, and circulated back to the tank. One fan will be mounted in front of the radiator blowing air towards the engine and rear of the car. I'm probably going to need a second fan blowing directly onto the engine, but I will leave that for later when I pack up the engine bay with the actual goodies that will make the car run.

As for the flywheel, I don't actually have one in my possession yet, but yeah I was planning on using something relatively heavy to get the engine to idle pretty low. I have the full clutch and transmission setup I want to use, I'm going to have to do something to induct gearing to increase the final drive ratio- but I'll mess with that when I get the proper HD ring and pinion for the axle I'm using, and calculate what gearing I have and need.

Exhaust, I chucked the GK exhaust I had the engine pictured with on ebay for the regular slim Saito muffler. Fits much better in the engine bay with the right angle elbow I'm using.. My original plan called for the exhaust to be routed under the engine and bypass the transmission- but with the tranny I'm using, its looking like I'll have to have the exhaust up facing the hood of the car and routed downwards after the engine- but a little trimming and fabrication might be able to fix this. For this, I just planned to use a Y piece of alum tubing clamped Saito muffler which would split off into dual pipes running under the floorboards. I don't want the car to be too loud, cause it is a scale car- and I don't want noise especially if I can't get it to sound realistic enough for my taste.. If it is too loud, I'll just make some baffles out of brass and chuck them into the exhaust system.

If I had the cash to keep up with the project, I probably would have finished months ago- but I'm getting killed, even considered selling the whole thing at some point. Oh well, the show much go on!

Sorry for the hi jack OP. Thanks for the suggestions Dan.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Dan M
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Saito is a 56. Will be cooled by air and liquid means. The engine will be sitting parallel with the ground or horizontal in the engine bay- not much space, especially with transverse mounting. I will have a tank with coolant, connected to a pump, which in turn will be connected to 1/4in copper cooling coils wrapped around the engine heatsink, linked to the radiator, and circulated back to the tank. One fan will be mounted in front of the radiator blowing air towards the engine and rear of the car. I'm probably going to need a second fan blowing directly onto the engine, but I will leave that for later when I pack up the engine bay with the actual goodies that will make the car run.

As for the flywheel, I don't actually have one in my possession yet, but yeah I was planning on using something relatively heavy to get the engine to idle pretty low. I have the full clutch and transmission setup I want to use, I'm going to have to do something to induct gearing to increase the final drive ratio- but I'll mess with that when I get the proper HD ring and pinion for the axle I'm using, and calculate what gearing I have and need.

Exhaust, I chucked the GK exhaust I had the engine pictured with on ebay for the regular slim Saito muffler. Fits much better in the engine bay with the right angle elbow I'm using.. My original plan called for the exhaust to be routed under the engine and bypass the transmission- but with the tranny I'm using, its looking like I'll have to have the exhaust up facing the hood of the car and routed downwards after the engine- but a little trimming and fabrication might be able to fix this. For this, I just planned to use a Y piece of alum tubing clamped Saito muffler which would split off into dual pipes running under the floorboards. I don't want the car to be too loud, cause it is a scale car- and I don't want noise especially if I can't get it to sound realistic enough for my taste.. If it is too loud, I'll just make some baffles out of brass and chuck them into the exhaust system.

If I had the cash to keep up with the project, I probably would have finished months ago- but I'm getting killed, even considered selling the whole thing at some point. Oh well, the show much go on!

Sorry for the hi jack OP. Thanks for the suggestions Dan.

sounds good !

using that super soft Copper i think you could cool it properly , with plenty of air flow of course .

it would be nearly impossible to machine the head and fit a true cooling jacket like the boat folk's do on that engine .

i think that by taking the exhaust and running it through a y and all the way out the back like you are suggesting should help with cooling also!

good luck and i will be watching this and cheering for you.

Dan
Old 11-28-2009, 12:24 AM
rcnitrohead

Thanks Dan, I'm not gonna post a build thread up on RCU since most ppl here aren't into scale R/C, and because honestly I want to finish gathering parts and build the chassis and major components before I start showing progress... If I can manage with the cooling system, I'll post it up here since I know the OP is curious about it.

Once again, thanks for the interest.

Tom.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Dil

just for the heck of it,, puttiing some physics into this

the water is gonna boil inside since most engines run just over 100 Celsius,, so you are gonna have to get the correct amount of water in the colling head to absorb the heat,, since the water ant gonna evaporate until all the water reaches 100 Celsius so get the water moving quick and make sure there enough of it inside at a given time,

i guess it wont really matter,, just put some science into it heheh!!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
jermainezey

when the anitfreeze is used it makes the water boilling point higher
Old 12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I found this picture on here the other day. Dont know who's it is(i forgot their user name), but they posted the pic a long time ago, and they are still active here. This may give some ideas. I think its a duratrax truck with a 2.5 trx engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42521.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1325538  
Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
jermainezey

did u find any more pics