42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Kit or RTR

Old 12-05-2009, 03:39 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit or RTR

I'm conducting poll for a class at school and i would love your imput on the matter, the kit specs are the same as the RTR but the price point is a bit lower because you don't get all the crappy eletronics. In conext i'm trying to convince people why more RC manufactures should produce kits along with their RTR's, simple a box of parts or said parts put together. I'd love to pull some quotes from these polls (i posed one last nite then looked at the time but more are coming around the forum) so if you don't want to be quoted by your SN or what a different name or anything just let me know.
THANK!!!

the lug
Old 12-05-2009, 04:00 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Kit or RTR

I voted RTR. Kits get way too expensive. I run multiple RC's, and getting high end servos and engines, etc.. for everything gets outa' hand. My RTR LST2 is the best RC I've ever had. You see guys upgrading stuff on it, just assuming that it needs to be upgraded because it's RTR - the pipe for ex. But it doesn't need to be. The pipe is ideal for most engines you put in it. But yeah, when I say RTR, maybe I should emphasize LOSI RTR - cuz they have SH engines which I really like, and good radios.

Plus, for the kid in all of us, I think opening up the box and having a whole truck there ready (or almost ready..) to go is more thrilling than a box full of little plastic bags and screws and stuff...

I know I'm an exception to the rule in this, but hey, that's what I prefer..
Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 PM
dgz69er

Kits for me. I race, and its the best way to get to know your car inside and out is by building it yourself. You get better parts, and you can set it up the way you want to from the beginning.

There are ups and downs to both kits and rtr's. My decision is all based on my own personal preference.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Lurp06x

I think both are great but i voted rtr. For the people who are on a budget an like the convince of having everything together when you get it. because a lot of the kits actaully cost more in the long run. even thought with the kits you arent wasting your money on stuff you end up replacing so yes the kits are more cost effective so then i am condraticting myself. ??????? oh well. point is i cant buy everything needed for a kit right off the bat an dont like waiting to piece together a kit when i can get a rtr for a little less in some cases an be able to play when it comes. otherwise when i decide i want something an i go with a kit an if i want to have everything off the bat i have to wait much longer to save up an thats just not me i want something now when i have the urge to play with a new rc.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
dudecat

I would go with rtr. Kits are nice but the money you spend getting them running is insane at times. I would like to have my truck/car ready to hit the track/street/offroad out of the box.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
rclynx

Kits are made for people who enjoy a hobby..............RTR are made for sad sacks that have no ability or choose not to be a hobby person. You want RTR then don't complain about what you have like a lot of people do on these forums.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
nitrorc89

i like a kit..... when you put a kit together you know its together... you get the chance to lock tight all the screws and make sure everything is tight.. it also gives you a chance to get to know the truck as in changing parts and such... you can open the box to a rtr but its still not be ready to go... there could be screws loose, screws missing, etc....
Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Anomie

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Kits are made for people who enjoy a hobby..............RTR are made for sad sacks that have no ability or choose not to be a hobby person. You want RTR then don't complain about what you have like a lot of people do on these forums.
Soooo... if you just want to open the box and play around that makes you a sad sack? What about those of us who enjoy both? Half-sad? Half-sack?

Sorry, I just had to say it!

Personally, I prefer kits but see the value in both. In fact, the build in which I am currently involved is so long-term and challenging that I need the distraction of an RTR just to take a break.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 AM
HerrSavage

I also disagree with rclynx in his conclusion. I won't mention brands..., but from among the MT's I have had, the RTR one(one brand..) has been far FAR FAR superior to the kit one (different brand) I had.. In fact, I'm looking to sell all my racing rigs(third brand..[, but good..), and just end up with my two original RTR MT's.. The first one is three years old and still going great. I bash it too...

But to each his own. Some people like wrenching more than others. And some, like me, less... [:-] Yeah yeah, I know, it's part of the hobby. That's clear. I already do plenty of wrenching with four RC's. But I'm not keen on doing any more than is strictly necessary to keep the things in running shape..
Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

RTRs are better for most people. 'Most people' being those who just want to have some casual fun without breaking the bank. Kits are obviously the superior choice for serious racers and people who like to build from scratch, but you can't say that one is decisively better than the other. R/C is a highly subjective pastime, and you won't find any 2 people who are looking to get exactly the same thing out of the hobby.

It sickens me when elitist idiots looks down at other hobbyists just because they don't have the latest and greatest kit, radio gear, and modded engine. Anyone who can make a statement like "Kits are made for people who enjoy a hobby; RTR are made for sad sacks that have no ability or choose not to be a hobby person" obviously doesn't understand what a hobby is really about.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:32 AM
stevenservo

a kit is better you understand your car better
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 AM
HerrSavage

That's an oft-repeated cliche, but I'm not sure it really amounts to much. Anybody with a Savage for example will have had to learn in short order how to rebuild a diff and maybe a tranny... RC will involve learning how the cars work, whether from the outside in(RTR) or inside out(kit)..

Plus with lots of the more basic RTR MT's there's so much tuning out there that guys end up wrenching away for that as well..

Again, IMO it depends on the person. If you're into fiddling with stuff and like the idea of a kit, get a kit. If you're starting out and just want to get out and run the thing, there's nothing wrong with an RTR.. And as stated above, sometimes it's just nice to take a simple RTR out of the box and have fun with it as a break from messing with building kits and all the other wrenching RC involves. And furthermore, it's all over the forums - with any RTR, check the screws, threadlock metal to metal, etc..
Old 12-17-2009, 05:50 AM
stevenservo

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

RTRs are better for most people. 'Most people' being those who just want to have some casual fun without breaking the bank. Kits are obviously the superior choice for serious racers and people who like to build from scratch, but you can't say that one is decisively better than the other. R/C is a highly subjective pastime, and you won't find any 2 people who are looking to get exactly the same thing out of the hobby.

It sickens me when elitist idiots looks down at other hobbyists just because they don't have the latest and greatest kit, radio gear, and modded engine. Anyone who can make a statement like "Kits are made for people who enjoy a hobby; RTR are made for sad sacks that have no ability or choose not to be a hobby person" is obviously a moron.

agree 100% the hobby is for everyone.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, the old debate. I didn't vote as there needs to be some more criteria to make a decision. For someone new, an RTR is a great way to get started fast. It will become just as much a learning experience over time as things break, and the new owner becomes awayre of hop-ups he just "has to have". Once experience comes, one will know more what he wants, and a kit gives that person more choices from the beginning to purchase what he wants.

That being said, I'm still an RTR fan as I bash, and hop-ups arn't required immediately as they might be in racing where you may feel the need for them in order to compete (although driving skill probably has more to so with it than the latest hop-up)

OK....I'll go back and vote RTR