Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

CEN MT2 first impressions...

Old 07-11-2003, 01:28 AM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEN MT2 first impressions...

Well, I would post it under my first CEN post, but it became long and every changing , nothing wrong with that though.

OK, first impressions:

I'll start off with the bad, since there were several things that took place.

First the Transmitter. Out of the box it had problems. At first it was working fine (when up close) so I didn't think anything of it. I went out to fire up the engine and start breaking it in. It started up on the first pull (after putting a little after run oil in it for some initial lubrication). I started running small figure 8's, then let it go a little farther and after about 20 feet it stopped responding and just kept going straight. RUN AWAY!!!. Thankfully since I was breaking it in it was only going about 8-10mph. It ended up hitting a plastic cable box and turning around toward me so it was easy to catch.

So I thought maybe it was the batteries. After changing them I tested the distance and same thing (except I didn't have it running this time). So I switched out to a Futaba that I have and it worked perfectly. So first impression of the radio is not good. Talked with a rep and they said they would replace it or upgrade it, so customer service sounds great.

Next, the truck seems to be set up with stiff damping from the start. I changed the rear suspension to the longer travel setting (moved the bottom suspension mounting position) which seemed to help a lot. I then changed the front to 30wt oil which helped also but could use 35wt.

The tires are very large for 2.2" rims. They measure 5" tall and 3" wide. My biggest problem is that they don't have any foam. The lack of foam causes a somewhat bouncy ride. I'll eventually have to replace the tires, in which there are several to choose from in the aftermarket.

The steering isn't quite as tight as I would like it to be, but I think that can be worked out a bit.

OK, now for the good

The overall off road abilities are every bit as good as my old 2.5 T-Maxx. It was able to climb the same drop offs, go over similar branches, and go over similar ruts and such. I see very little difference in their ability to bash with out getting stuck. It's stock servo's are adequate and allow you to turn the wheels almost completely from one side to the other while the truck is stationary. They could be a little more powerful but they are adequate.

The engine has been very easy to tune, even though it's already had it's fair share of harsh treatment. I ran it in some very dusty conditions, where it only lasted about 3 minutes before the air filter was too clogged to let air in any longer. After inspection it looks like some dirt got past the air filter. I took it home cleaned it up, changed glow plugs and it fired right up again. Then two more tanks I cleaned it up and upon further inspection I found a tear in the tube from the filter to the engine so who know how much dust got in it today. It's still running like a champ though so I'm guessing it's a pretty tough engine.

I love the overall lay out of the truck. There isn't a gear box to worry about, just the 2 speed transmission (like on a road car). I also like the fact that I could use a starter box if I so choose.

The truck feels more stable than the T-Maxx and have yet to roll it when turning. I can see how it could be faster on a track than a T-Maxx, especially with a different set of tires.

The body posts, though a little hard to put the body on are a welcome sight. On the T-Maxx I would break the rear posts almost every run. On the CEN MT2 the are very flexible and actually bend a little (more rubber than plastic). I would say it will take a lot to break these.

I also like the small details that they put into the truck like aluminum hex hubs instead of plastic like on the T-Maxx. They also used CVD type axels up front and dog bones in the back. Metal drive train all around, except the spur gears. It also has complete bearings all around and look to be Teflon sealed at least on the axle bearings.

The CEN is definitely a 1/10th scale truck. It is smaller than the T-Maxx and Savage. Actual body size is very similar to a RC10GT. In fact I would say it's the same size as a RC10GT just with much bigger tires, 4wd and more suspension travel. I would put the travel at around 2.5" - 3" total with a ground clearance about the same.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the CEN for the price $279.99 brand new. If not for the bad radio I'd give it an 8 to 9 overall out of 10. The truck it's self is great, it just comes with some low end radio equipment, but then what RTR doesn't (aside from Losi or GS). I still have some engine tuning to do but I can see it screaming when tuned correctly.

Overall, good job CEN.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:13 AM
coreyhp
My Feedback: (1)

post some pics of it.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:50 AM
Wookie

I put a few pics in my Gallery.

The pics are too big to post here and I don't know how to make them smaller. Just click on the Gallery link and you should be able to see them.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:24 AM
petrolpixie

i am glad you like the mt2 wookie. im sure you will have hours of fun with it. did you see the video on studysessions web site? it has my mt2 in it and my mates 2 monster trucks.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Legendary

Default Glad to see another good truck is out there!

Oh and here is your pic's!

Old 07-11-2003, 12:24 PM
RippinXC

How does it handle in the grass? is there enough ground clearance or does it get bogged down. Does it turn as well as your TMaxx does or not as tight? Lastly how long does it run between fill-ups... the tank seems a little small.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Wookie

Ground clearance is around 2.5" - 3" which is a little lower than a T-Maxx or Savage. It does fine in grass, though the engine will run a little hotter. CEN recommends you keep the engine around 220 degrees, but I'm not sure that's possible with the cooling head that's on it. I'd say mine is more in the 250 - 270 degree range with good power.

It doesn't quite turn as tight as my old T-Maxx did. For what ever reason the T-Maxx had a very tight turning radius where as the CEN is just under what my old RC10GT could do. The CEN can turn just as well and can actually corner a bit faster than the T-Maxx. To me the CEN is more stable but doesn't turn as tight.

Not sure of total time between fill ups. I've still got some engine tuning to do to it, but I'd say it's a good 9-10 minutes right now. The CEN only has a 75cc tank so that's not to bad considering it has a .16 engine in it. I was getting basically the same run time with my T-Maxx which had a 125cc tank. petrolpixie

petrolpixie, yes I did check out the video, though I only got about 3/4 of the way through it. I'm on a dial up and it took quite a long time just to get that far :-). Overally pretty sweet though.

Thanks for the picture posting Legendary.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:39 PM
studysession

Sounds like you are having fun. Email me some pics and videos so I can post them of your new CEN and I will post them on my website. I am going to sell one of my TMaxx's and get a CEN MT2 after I move.

Keep us posted - Your likes / dislikes and crashed.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:53 PM
RC SNYPER

Good to here you like like it , i have yet to here of someone that really dislikes it. sorry about the subject change on the other post , it' a bad habit .you know what they say, bad habits die hard!
Old 07-12-2003, 01:03 AM
studysession

Hey - I am curious on how easy is it to break in the engine? And do you think it is enough power?

I talked to my wife - I am going to sell her TMaxx and get her one of these. I am sure I can get enough on EBay for it. I will do it after we move. She wants a starter box or electric start though. So I am curious if any of the after market electric start kits will work with this motor.... She does not like anything with pull start.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:10 AM
RC SNYPER

yeah it's has enough power but if you want to go bigger it shouldn't hurt . any .18 or smaller should fit without mods , but a .21 will require a new engine mount and you would have to cut the engine plate holes as large as needed for the gear mesh to fit . i asked the cen rc web site.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:55 AM
studysession

Does anyone know the difference between the CEN MT & the MT2?
Old 07-12-2003, 03:07 AM
CEN Racing

Does anyone know the difference between the CEN MT & the MT2?
Body. Nothing else.

YOu can use a starter box to start MT2. The chassis is design for it.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Kevwood

Are you sure? Sounds like a daft question asking a CEN representative that doesnt it!

Thing is I have a CEN MT with, as you say, the red body as oppose to the yellow one. But I also only have one speed and not two! I also have the fuel tank with the primer which I believe isnt on the MT2.

Did the older MT's only come with only one speed instead of two? Or is mine just a one off?
Old 07-12-2003, 04:45 PM
CEN Racing

The very old old MT does not have 2 speed and does have primer fuel tank.

All MT comes with 2 speed and primer fuel tank starting summer last year.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:41 PM
studysession

Originally posted by CEN Racing
The very old old MT does not have 2 speed and does have primer fuel tank.

All MT comes with 2 speed and primer fuel tank starting summer last year.
So you are telling me they are both same now?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:36 PM
RC SNYPER

yep, that's what he's sayin.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:55 AM
CEN Racing

yeah, thats what i meant.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:10 AM
RC SNYPER

Old 07-14-2003, 12:51 AM
studysession

Has anyone bought from www.neweramodels.com before?

I am wondering if the CEN MT2 and the CEN MT are same thing. Why is the CEN MT2 $20 more?
Old 07-14-2003, 01:32 AM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello People,

I would love to get a CEN MT2 now, after what I heard from you. But I don't see a Distributor in Hong Kong! Any ideas?

Normanski
Old 07-14-2003, 02:13 AM
RC SNYPER

i have not yet, i'm gessing because the diffrent bodies? i don't exactly know though.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:15 AM
RC SNYPER

hello normanski, i don't know if there's a distubutor in hong kong , but i think you should contact CEN RACING and ask him.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:50 AM
CEN Racing

I dont know why too. I guess they set it at whatever price they feel like. Maybe the owner like one body over the other.

But MT and MT2 is the same thing except body.

normanski:
You can try our Malaysia or Singpore agent, maybe they will get you a shop that willing to ship. Or contact a online store in U.S. I think shipping is pretty reasonable as long as its not express air package.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:20 AM
normanski

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello CEN Racing,

I have Emailed M/S Tai Sing Corpn (PTE) Ltd of Singapore, but am still waiting for a reply. Are they still your agent in Singapore? I will be in Singapore in August, so would love to pick up a MT2 when I am there! I just need to know where & for how much. Any ideas? Will CEN ship direct to Hong Kong?

Normanski

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.