Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best MT for racing?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:48 PM
snakemau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best MT for racing?

Ok, so I want to get a monster trcuk for racing, and I know there are many good options from HPI, Losi, Traxxas, etc, but which one would be a very good, hardly any upgrades necessary? Don't care if nitro or electric, I just want it to be fast and durable and again a good racer. I know the driver skills will be 50% of the equation, so lets assume the driver knows what he's doing, just need a performance mean MT to fullfil his destiny....to win!

Suggestions? Please rank them #1, #2, #3
Old 02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best MT for racing?

Are you 100% positive you want to race MT instead of Buggy or Truggy ?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
snakemau

I'm looking for a 4x4 MT, something good for like the 2010 No Limit RC Monster Truck. And for racing at the local track as well. Versatility for several racing competitions, obstacle, jumps, racing, etc. Just an overall excellent selection that with just a few mods here and there could be a winner in any class
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
snakemau

Well seems no preference here? What about Savage Flux HP vs E-Revo BE? One is more for punishment, the other a racer like? One looks like a MT, the other one like a truggy. Any other options? T-Maxx?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
supertib

Losi 10T

I would not be looking at a MT if i was interested in racing.....myself personally would be looking for a Truggy instead......
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
snakemau

Well I already have a Slash 4x4 for racing, and could consider a truggy, but really want to buy a MT. If they are not so suitable for racing then which one will be the best for jumping and freestyling? one that will take some punishment for sure
Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
HJJFFFAA

A truggy.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: snakemau

Well I already have a Slash 4x4 for racing, and could consider a truggy, but really want to buy a MT. If they are not so suitable for racing then which one will be the best for jumping and freestyling? one that will take some punishment for sure

From my own experience the MT's weren't overly durable unless you spend a pile on hoppups, and even then they still aren't as durable as a truggy....Part of the issue is MT's have a much higher Cog that makes them much more prone to crashing, which results in more frequent damage..... Anyways just something to consider...
Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

If you are looking for something that you can abuse, then a Savage is for you. The Savage isnt so good for racing in stock configuration though. A truggy would definately be better for racing, but if you want an MT then go for it.

Eric
Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider getting one of the Losi LST based trucks of you are set on getting an MT. My LST handles almost as well as a truggy and is the best handling MT I have ever had (I have owned all the major brand MT's). But a truggy will out perform an MT in all catagories hands down except for wheelies. Speed, handling,jumping, durability, ect.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM
McWolf_101

I have to agree with the others, and say that I would choose a truggy instead of a monster truck for racing. There are alot of truggy choices as well, so you can ask around and take your pick. Of course, if you're really interested in a monster truck, I'd go with the Savage or Revo.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Jgaff2

He HAS stated that he wants a truck for racing. I would advise a revo 3.3 it seems really good for racing and bashing.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Machinist75

I have a Losi 8T that I use for racing but the track I frequent also has an MT class that I race in. I have a T-Maxx 3.3, Savage XL, Savage Flux and Associated MGT. In the MT class I prefer the MGT, It just handles the best out of my other MT's and is very easy to work on. MGT has my vote all the way!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 AM
snoking16

go with the revo 3.3 it can be set up to own all other MT's on the track or it can be set up to be a great basher. thats if you are dead set on a MT. if not i would buy a truggy instead. The 10T is an awesome truck at just under $500. and if you have the coin i would go with the 8T 2.0. its an amazing truggy.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
RCnutz

Revo is a pain to set up for racing.

The stock tires have too soft a side wall and that makes it unstable in sharp turns and the pushrod suspension is a pain to tune to your liking without some money thrown at it.
All in all I found that it's much easier and cheaper to setup a Tmaxx for racing than a Revo. Revo is overrated! T-maxx is lighter out of the box anyway.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Lilredmachine

If you are looking at a truck purely for racing i'd get on to Chris at GCmachine and get him to build you an RB3. It's based on an E-savage but stretched and widened (roughly the same size as a 3.3 revo) and fully RTR with pack will come in at circa 3.7kg (7.5lbs ish). The truck was originally designed to be the simplest, lightest 4wd truck around but the electronics forward design and ability to carry the battery within the TVPs for better left to right balance made it a perfect race truck. I have one, the chassis ran me nearly a grand to construct, but you can be certain at 7.5 lbs and well setup a prepped Revo wouldn't see which way it went.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51963.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1398158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82954.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1398159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13745.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1398160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90493.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1398161  
Old 03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Mufasa_719

Wicked E-Savvy but its too bad you have to sell your first born to pay for one LOL

Sick truck though LILRED
Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Lilredmachine

Aye, I still need a Mamba max pro, 2650 castle motor and a set of 8ight shocks to finish it off. The pit of money deepens haha.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 AM
CarFreak92

The closest thing to a truggy in the monster truck is the revo. I would suggest you get an e-revo brushless as brushless is soo much faster and reliable and you don't even have to tune or break it in it's just pure fun all the way through and it will be faster than all of the other truck at the comps with the righ batteries installed
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Lilredmachine

I wouldn't call the ERBE reliable... It'll spend more time on your workbench whilst you repair it's tattered drivetrain than on the track. The ERBE is a basher with far too much power for the track. If you want a racer get a second hand 3.3 Revo and convert it using a Tekno kit. It will retain the mechanical brakes and clutch for smooth running. Running a Tekin RX8 setup around 1500 kv on 6s would be best for power.