Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

HELP ME! I am new at this and can use any suggestions you have to throw at me

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HELP ME! I am new at this and can use any suggestions you have to throw at me

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 04:05 AM
metaljonny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME! I am new at this and can use any suggestions you have to throw at me

I got a questions for all of you truck people out there. I am just getting started with the whole RC car thing and I was wondering what is the best car for a beginner. My local hobby shop had the savage (which looked nice but was the pricer one at a little over 500 hundred dollars), T-Maxx, and a Sport-Maxx (which looks the best for the price and it seems as though I can and and the 2 speed transmission and 4 wheel drive later. I was just wondering what everyone thought of these trucks, what other brands or cars might be good for a beginner, and what what web sites are good for buying cars. Thanks for taking the time and helping me out.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:07 AM
gtxracer7

Default HELP ME! I am new at this and can use any suggestions you have to throw at me

Uh, get a Savage bro. Maxx trucks aren't that great...
Old 07-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Savage_Dias

I'll never regret getting my Savage. Tower Hobbies has it for 399 but if your LHS is offering a glo starter, fuel, & other misc items for 500 you should probably go with that. I've never seen a maxx run but from what I've read, they seem to break easily. Then again, that's probably coming from people who think they should try 15 ft. jumps when they should know better than to expect that out of a maxx. Everyone knows that's the Savage's arena.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:39 PM
petrolpixie

how about looking into the cen funfactor mt2? i have one and it is a great truck
Old 07-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's not rule out electric; while the sound and top speed of a nitro may be cool, it can sometimes be pretty overwhelming with all the tuning and maintainance.

E-Maxx all the way

DUR
Old 07-12-2003, 07:50 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Thats a good point.. but whats the fun if you know that it will work every time?

ITs a little too easy..lol

I vote for the savage as wel.. wbut why dont you take a look at the rest.. like the Terra Crusher and the Monster Pirate? (dont know about quality and stuff.. just makin sure you dont overlook other choices)
ram
Old 07-12-2003, 07:57 PM
fourwheeler

At the time of my vote there were 6 votes and it was Savage with 100%........nuff said!!
Old 07-12-2003, 08:14 PM
cemeb4dk

I vote savage times two, because i have two, i love them and as far as 500 bucks no way, 389-399 bucks top. And if you have any nitro experience check out the savage ss, kit form, bigger engine some upgrades, but no servos and radio. check out the other threads regarding this, or just the stock savage rtr, is great to get started and upgrade as things break and or money alows, thats what everyone that has a savage has done, prior to this ss comming out.

Where in illinois do you live?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:50 PM
metaljonny

I think I have decided to buy the savage. But should I buy the SS kit or the 21 which comes pre-assembled with everything I need? It seems like it would be fun to build
Old 07-13-2003, 12:58 AM
mrpj1972
My Feedback: (8)

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!! if you have no experience with the rc hobby dont start with a kit like the savage. i personally have owned only rtr's (hpi savage, nmt, rush & a t-maxx) and i know my trucks inside and out because every brand has its problems, so you will eventually be tearing it down whether it be a broken part or a hop up. if this is your very first nitro powered vehicle then you need to go find where there are people running/racing to see and/or try something for yourself. i would suggest starting with a inexpensive rtr stadium style truck like the rush. it's 2wd and everything is very accessible for tuning/repairing/hoppin-up. but i would highly suggest going to your local race tracks or bashing spots and looking around. you never know you may find really good deal on a used vehicle that's in rtr condition. i feel really bad for the threads that i see on this and other message boards where people are at a complete loss because they went out and bought something that they had no idea what they where getting into, and they are just having problem after problem.

this just my 2 cents, you spend your money how you wish
Old 07-14-2003, 05:24 AM
desygityaso

Dude, I agree with the highly dramatic WARNING WARNING WARNING guy. I bought a 2.5 t-maxx from tower for $399 then I bought a ofna lx pro ($299), well by now I thought I was a R/c genius(not that I'm not) but I bought a miss budweiser nitro boat. That sunofa***** has had me about to put a hammer to it! IT HAS GIVEN ME HELL. super hard to start, won't run for long , broke pull cord, locked motor, corroded engine bolts(head), leaky radio box and crack in hull. I have not ran it a whole 5 minutes yet!!! THE POINT IS, IF YOU ARE NOT VERY MECHANICLY INCLINED THAN BE CAREFULL IN YOUR DESISON. IF YOU GET A LEMON YOU WILL BE R/C EMOTIONALY SCARED! GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR, MY 2.5 T-MAXX IS A LOT OF FUN i'LL BE POSTING MY PICTURES OF IT WITH ITS 2 2.5 ENGINES. THAT'S NOT A MISS-PRINT I SAID 2(TWIN) 2.5 TRX'S ON ONE T-MAXX. I JUST FINISHED BREAKING IN THE SECOND MOTOR AND I'M WORKING ON TUNING IT TO SEE WHAT IT'S GONNA DO. GOOD LUCK AGAIN DESY
Old 07-14-2003, 12:27 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I acteally talked to him last night on AIM and yeah he is mechanically inclined to say the least.

I definitely think he would enjoy building a kit. Forget RTR. Theyre meant for people who look at these cars as a toy and not a hobby. Its like buying a dell vs building your own comp.
Its a no brainer decision!

IF it gave you hell, you know you learned a lot and your getting the full experience lol. We've all experienced frustrations. With an RTR, if something breaks, you'll have a LOT of downtime becase you have no idea exactly how that thing is thrown together.

I vote for the Savage S5

ram
Old 07-14-2003, 03:50 PM
metaljonny

Ok hears the thing guys I want to buy the Savage SS. But some of the people on the post say it isn't a good car to start with I consider myself mechanical inclined enough to deal with these cars. Does it really matter or is it a really bad idea to start with a savage SS. I like working on things like these i would assume assembly it myself.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:41 PM
aalzuhair

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
I acteally talked to him last night on AIM and yeah he is mechanically inclined to say the least.

I definitely think he would enjoy building a kit. Forget RTR. Theyre meant for people who look at these cars as a toy and not a hobby. Its like buying a dell vs building your own comp.
Its a no brainer decision!

IF it gave you hell, you know you learned a lot and your getting the full experience lol. We've all experienced frustrations. With an RTR, if something breaks, you'll have a LOT of downtime becase you have no idea exactly how that thing is thrown together.

I vote for the Savage S5

ram
I second that notion But what about buggies.

Ok, let me tell you my story. I started with R/Cs like 17 years back and then I stopped after a few years and only recently, I came back ..... 8 months back, but I tell you, right now, I drive, build and race with the best out there. All it takes is reading. Read before you start doing anything and ask.

Just do it

Az
Old 07-14-2003, 11:33 PM
desygityaso

hey guys! how is everybody doing? better than me I hope. Remember the miss bud I said was giving me hell? Well I took it out to this lake today and it ran about 100 feet out and it killed. So me be the veteran know it all kind of guy I am I said no sweat. I proceeded to get my plan B in action. "Deploy the search and rescue team!" I hollard to my cousin. He quickly installed the battery in the new electric zoom I bought and away it went. Guys this too long a story so here is a quick summary,

After $60.00 for the guy at the jet-ski rental and 3 hours that it took me to strand both boats out there and give up.The engine,radio, servos, are all in the kitchen sink in a pot of fresh water trying to save whatever may possibly be worth saving!

maybe I'll try it again next week.LOL!

P.S. Miss Bud boat for sale under 5 minutes run time looks great on the stand, great red easy to see capsized color!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:05 AM
scotthg1

I am buying the Savage on Wednesday and I am new also to R/C's. I am also looking to buy a R/C car on ebay, so if the Savage has issues I can go to the car. I also want it so my friends can see the fun and get them interested in the hobby. I am looking at it this way, I want to start running as soon as I get my toy. I don't want to wait until Aug. to buy the Savage SS,then put it together and find out it won't run for some reason or another. I would buy the Savage and upgrade later with the SS kit. Then you will have a spare engine and parts after upgrading and you will learn the mechanics of the truck. "You have to crawl before you can walk". Scott.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:12 AM
studysession

I have 2 TMaxx 2.5's - Be willing to sell both of them. Definatly not my favorate.

Go for CEN MT2 or something like that.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:05 AM
skydalimit
My Feedback: (1)

get a buggy