Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

my first truck

Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first truck

I just purchased my first gas powered rc truck. I should have asked first before ordering, but I purchased a Monster T with a sh 18 engine.
It is a single speed Is this a good truck to "learn" with. As a kid I had plenty of rc cars, but never a gas powered one. Also what kind of parts should I keep on hand? Glow plugs,etc.

The truck is supposed to be my daughter's. She says she is the driver and I am themechanic? I feel like if Mom likes it we will be buying more! I assume you can change frequencies of controllers to operate more than one at a time.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM
snoking16

Default RE: my first truck

it took me a while to even find that model.. ACME right? I dont know anything about the truck but as far as a starter truck it should do you just fine. The only problem i see is trying to find parts for it. Things break even on mainstream Trucks like Losi, HPI, Traxxas. for the low price i would be a little weary. I have found that in the RC world you get what you pay for. I hope it works out well and is a good stepping stone into your new addiction...lol yes, RC is an addiction. Everytime i say im done and sell my stuff i always come crawling back. If you find the ACME to be less then appealing i would suggest you look into the larger known models. Traxxas makes a Tmaxx and Revo that have always been good to me. HPI makes a few variations of the Savage which is a very nicely built basher, and Losi Makes the LST2. they start at about double the price you paid for the ACME. but like i said, you get what you pay for. After you get that thing broken in and running give us a few updates. Im interested to see how it does.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 PM
rooker

thanks snoking 16, Yes it is Acme. If we really get in to these little trucks, I will probably get one of the nicer trucks for myself.  This one is supposed to be my daughter's......lol.  I've never even started one of these engines.  I figured I would get a cheap one to learn with.  That way if I mess up I will not be out to much cash!!  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
snoking16

yeah thats a good idea. make sure you follow the directions on the break in process. The break in is the most important part of the engines life. If you get it right it SHOULD last a long time. If you get it wrong you can really take away the life and power of the motor. If you have questions about anything you are in the right place. They guys here are very knowledgeable and very helpful. I remember when i was right where you are. If its anything like my experience your going to have some problems at first. If you stick with it and get through the problems it will be a very fun hobby to enjoy with your daughter.

I would suggest trying to get the thing broken in and tuned before you go out with your daughter. Kids can be very impatient. make it easier on her by doing the hard work on your own. then when she gets the controls in her hands you dont have to worry about the truck not performing.

As far as parts go. I would upgrade that little air filter right away. Try and find parts like a arms, spur gears, shocks and shock towers. Those are the things that are most commonly broken on any Monster truck. Its a process, especially since the truck you bought is not a widely used truck.

Again, good luck.

happy bashing
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
rooker

I will leave you alone after this!!  How long do the glow plugs normally last?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
snoking16

lol, dont worry about it. i like helping new guys out. Its something to do...haha. It depends, if you run your engine lean and hot you can burn out a brand new glow plug in one tank. usually they last a lot longer then that. I have had a couple last a gallon or two. its really hard to predict glow plugs. You should have a few extras on hand.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 PM
rooker

I can't wait until it gets here.  I feel like a kid waiting for a new toy.  I am out of work(back surgery).  I am supposed to go back Monday.  I wish I would have bought the truck a month ago!!!

The store I bought the truck from says they carry parts for it, so hopefully they will have all I need.  I looked at your pics.  Cool looking truck.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
snoking16

oh yeah i need to update that. I dont have it anymore. I have at Thunder Tiger ST-1 truggy now. i had a HPI baja 5b SS but sold it and the revo. Im looking into getting my truggy back in bashing order and getting the new baja 5t.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
rooker

This truck I purchased has a 75cc fuel tank.  How long should I expect it to run on a tank of fuel with a sh 18 engine?  Just trying to figure out how much fuel to keep on hand.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 AM
snoking16

no idea. i would by a quart or two at first. then after that if you like the hobby buy a gal.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:09 AM
rooker

It is coming with a quart, so i guess that will be enough to break in engine and play with for a day or so.  I DON'T WANT TO RUN OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUN!!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 AM
rooker

I went ahead and ordered a gallon, it makes me feel better!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 AM
snoking16

haha...yeah good idea, especially if all goes well and you get a bigger better rig.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
rooker

Typically, is there a way to limit the speed of the truck with some kind of adjustment? My daughter is only 9 years old. This truck is supposed to do over 50mph out of the box. I would like to tone it down for her just a bit.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you keep a few glow plugs around. Also a rechargable glow plug igniter is nice, it will really save you on batteries. Speaking of which make sure you keep fresh aa's on hand for the radio and reciever, if in doubt about their strength change them out.

I would read the manually thorughly concerning tips on break in, how to check a glow plug, how to unflood a flooded motor etc. If not a guy by the name of squirrel on youtube has a lot of great articles on this. If you go to start the motor and it gets real tight, this would indicate its flooded. Stop pull the glow plug, turn the truck upside down, and pull the pull starter, a bunch of of fuel should come out of the glow plug hole. Replace the plug put your igniter on and try starting again. There is a lot to learn, but once you catch on you'll be fine.

As far as slowing down your daughter, you could turn the throttle trim knob on the radio back, thus the throttle should not go completely wide open. Also make your carb adjustments in very small 1/12 increments like a clock. Best bet though follow the instruction manual.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 PM
rooker

Thanks Silverman1, I ordered 4 extra glow plugs, the truck comes with a rechargeable ignitor, told the wife to buy plenty of batteries!

I have been tryn' to learn eveything I can before my truck gets here.  I've seen some of those videos on You Tube.  It is amazing to me how helpful people are in this hobby.  People don't treat you like an idiot just b/c you ask questions!!  I work in maintenance by trade so when I get the truck I sure I will "learn" more.

I have been reading a lot of threads over the last few days, just doing that helps a lot.

Again thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
snoking16

yeah we all started out not knowing anything about the hobby. its great when people can help other people out. it keeps the hobby alive.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
rooker

It runs!!!!!! I got it started!!!!!  got it going and it was idling fast, went to go get tools(should take them with?) and cut it off.  My glow plug igniter wasn't charged enough to start again, will try later.  I was kind of proud that it syarted so easy!!, 3 pulls.

There are 2 adjustments on carb.  1 is next to the tube coming from tank and other is down to the right of it.  Can someone explain exactly which does what?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
snoking16

one is the low speed needle and one is the highspeed needle. thats how you tune the motor. there is a lot of stuff out there on engine tuning. youtube has a ton of helpful videos.

read this

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 PM
rooker

That is good info.  Just after I asked those questions I found a couple of videos and articles on the carb setup.  Most all said break in engine first then tune.  There is a guy named Squirell who does alot of videos, he is good.  I should have it broke in tomorrow.  I've noticed some trucks have a little handle to hold when cranking.  I have to make me one of those.  I am sure people make custom parts for their rides.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
snoking16

yeah, people do make a lot of custom parts for their trucks.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM
rooker

I'm trying to break in engine now.  I have read about 3 settings on carb.  I could only find 2 until a few minutes ago.  Is one where the throttle pivots?  I  have been trying lean it out.  There is so much fuel going to engine it is coming out of pipe!!!  The adjust at the throttle pivot is closed all the way off?  Anyway, my throttle linkange came loose while playing with it.  Have to wait until tomorrow to get allen wrenches to repair. I am learning quit you will need plenty of tools to nitro rcing!!!!!  Especially with an Acme Truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM
snoking16

you have a LSN a HSN and a idle screw. im not sure what the right settings are for that motor. if there is fuel coming out the pipe then turn the bigger looking needle clockwise 1/8th of a turn at a time till it is running a little better. you want to have a nice thick stream of smoke coming out the pipe but no fuel. You should also get a handheld temp gauge. You want the temp of the engine to be at 230-250. if it exceeds that then your too lean. you then would want to turn the needle the other way to richen it up a little. all this info is in that link that i posted. I would read that a few times so you know what to look for and how to tune your motor. once it is running ok you need to follow the break in procedure. Once its broken in tune for performance. You want the engine a little rich through the break in.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM
rooker

yeah, got to get me one of tbose gauges also.  the closest HS is about 40 miles away.  Lowes carries those also, they are out of stock.  I even got them to check other stores.  Probably going to HS in closest town tomorrow.  Looks like you can't tune w/o temp checks.  I have read too many procedures it seems like.  There seems to be several ways to break in an engine.  I'm getting there, just slowly.  Finding the 3rd adjustment is going to helpe greatly.  I read somewhere that some carbs only have 2 adjustments and some have 3.  I was thinking that mine only had 2 and could not keep it running w/o nitro pouring out of pipe.  Hopefully this 3rd screw will do the trick!! 

It seems like the factory would set it close, but this one seems to be far out and the manual is terrible.  It tells you to ask experienced people instead of even telling you about the adjustment screws???  Poorly made manual.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:28 AM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got your truck. Many new nitro rc engines come set very rich when first started they want to make sure you get plenty of oil through your engine.

let me explain: You should have 3 carb adjustment screws to deal with.

The first one being the most noticable one is the big tall screw, this is the high speed fuel adjustment

The other adjustment needle goes through the center of the throttle arm which moves the slide from closed to open, this is the low speed needle adjustment

The third screw has a spring around it and is small but its more obvious then the low speed needle. This is your idle speed adjustment screw. this one regulates the speed your engine will Idle at.

The 2 most important screws right now are the idle adjustment screw and and the high spd fuel mixture screw. You want to make sure your throttle slide has a small gap at idle, you can verify this by taking off the air filter and looking inside the carberator, with no throttle applied there must be a gap from 1mm to 2mm.

Start the motor, does it idle at no throttle? Will it still idle if you apply the brakes? If so good, if not turn the idle screw in slightly with the engine at idle it should pick up.

If this is good move step B. The high speed fuel adjustment, for now you want it rich, tune in small 1/12 increments. run the car is it blowing good smoke? does the engine sound sloppy, or sluggish? thats okay, smoke is good, remember you are breaking in your engine so you want to tune it in in gradual increments. I would say 1/12 turn in clockwise for each tank up to a total of 6 tanks. Make sure you let your engine cool between each tank with the piston at the bottom of its stroke. Make sure you vary the throttle the first few tanks, and remember you do not want to run full throttle until the later tanks.

Remember in tuning early tanks 1/4 to half throttle then off throttle, like 3 seconds half throttle back to idle, repeat, till tank is almost done, later tanks use more throttle, a few seconds on then off the throttle. ETC ETC.

Don't worry about the low speed adjustment until last, the manufacture will have you close on that adjustment, you'll probably only need a minor adjustments for it, it adjust the carb from off throttle through mid range aceleration.

Like the one guy says look at that video he put up for you. SH is a good engine, so it should tune in fairly easy. good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.