Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Beginner to nitro(advice)?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Jomoma726
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner to nitro(advice)?

I have a traxxas slash 2wd with a brushless system but I'm thinking of going to nitro and want some advice on whether to get a traxxas t-maxx 3.3 or get an HPI savage x 4.6. Which is better for a beginner to nitro, or should I even go to nitro? And any other advice would be useful.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 03:01 AM
snoking16

Default RE: Beginner to nitro(advice)?

what is your budget? I would go LST XXL or a 3.3 revo if you had the money.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:48 PM
army2000ng
My Feedback: (3)

You can go many ways, The Savage to me is easier to tune than the Traxxas, but the traxxas once tuned can provide for excellent fun. The Savage is used by many experienced r/c personel, because of its rugedness. The traxxas has a wider wheel base allowing it for better turning. There are many out there, Such as the affordable REDCAT Earthquake, it is pretty fast and dependable, however many Savage and Traxxas owners disagree. I have all three and use it differently. Redcat is a good beginner truck and experienced r/c people enjoy it as well. You must decide by the many reviews which one is for you. It depends on the motor you want, the size of the truck and how much money you are willing to dish out.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Jomoma726
My Feedback: (1)

I kinda like the price range the t-maxx and savage is, but which would have more power, does the savage have more power because of the bigger motor? i noticed they have the same top speed and also which is easier to break in?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

NO T-MAXX
junk
revo 3.3 are sweet
always use after run oil
always use air filter oil
DO NOT BUY A REDCAT PRODUCT!
redcat are not good beginner nitros.
the plastic is too britle and you will get discouraged when your parts keep breaking
i have a redcat and a traxxas i perfer traxxas any day.
redcats have great motors.

i work on my redcat more than i drive it.

get a jato 3.3
revo 3.3
stay away from the t-maxx though

Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
xBiGxPx
My Feedback: (-1)

savage x
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
rcslsafut

????????
savage is an excellant truck!!!!!!!
what else is there to say.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Losi Ten-T.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 AM
snoking16

i agree with hersavage...losi tenT for SURE!!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 PM
dapro

Love my Savage, but enjoy bashing my Aftershock much much more......

you get a computerized radio and you have $150-200 left in your pocket, get your self a tuned pipe and rx pack and you are set.

Horizon prices
$369.99

Revo $579 (horizon) $539 (tower)
Savage XL $579 (tower price)
Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
dgz69er

hahahaha, I get a kick out of savage owners, my truck is tough, I bash hard and it holds up to all I dish out.

There is lots of great stuff out there. The savage is great, the lst xxl is great, the revo is great. There are other good ones too.

You want advice, pick any of them, but when you get it. Learn how to tune. There is a nitro basic book, and its the best 20 bucks you can spend, teaches you how to tune, and how the motors work, and why you are doing what you are doing when you tune.

The other piece of advice I have. Learn how to jump. If you land on your wheels 1 out of 10 jumps. Then your going to break something, no matter who makes the truck. Don't replace the stuff with rpm, or aluminum. Learn how to jump. I used to jump off of freestyle motocross ramps with my old aftershock, and it never broke an a-arm. I also landed my jumps.

Actually if you want something to really bash and have fun with get a truggy something like the losi 8t. Best bashing vehicle I have ever had, and its good for racing too.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM
MAXXMANIA

nitro gets expensive REALLY quick. if you have to relie on christmas and birthday money like me stick with electric. get the E-Revo or the E-Maxx. more expensive at first but worth it in the long haul. i have a s-maxx and i'm on my third engine not to mention how many gallons of fuel you have to buy ( for me,$40 agal.)if you play with it alot. all you have to do for electricis charge batteries flip a switch and go any time you want.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM
bcat125

Get a Savage. They are very very durable and pretty fast, but not too fast. I have literally bent my entire truck a few degrees to the side, bent it back by hand, and kept going (this is not at all normal for an average person).
Old 03-10-2010, 12:42 PM
RCnutz

Here is my 2 cents:

1) Do not buy a USED nitro car if you are a beginner! Do not buy a Revo, Do not buy a Cen LST or Genesis whatever they call that pos these days.

2) Get something basic and known for reliability: Traxxas T-maxx 2.5 (not 3.3) or Savage X 4.6

If I would be getting into nitro I would go with the Savage X 4.6 because it is tough, has a very easy to tune engine that runs well even if you suck at tunning.

I'm not trying to bash brands here but the two major players out there for the average bashers and just plain weekend fun are Traxxas and HPI and team Associated.
Yes I know many will jump with the Losi and Ofna and what not but the truth is that when you break that A arm on your Ofna or Losi you will more than likely have to order it online or will have to wait for your local hobby shop to order it for you.
This is not the case everywhere but in my area there is little local support for anything other than HPI and Traxxas.

I would checl with your LHS to see what they support the most and go for that product. I garantee you that it wont be CEN.
As a beginner please for funk's sake stay away from CEN.

End of my 2 cents