Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

HPI Savage x 4.6 vs. AE MGT 4.6 vs. AE MGT 8.0

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HPI Savage x 4.6 vs. AE MGT 4.6 vs. AE MGT 8.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 AM
TTMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Savage x 4.6 vs. AE MGT 4.6 vs. AE MGT 8.0

I need some help deciding between these three monster trucks.

I've done considerable research, but most of it hasn't helped me reach a conclusion. Judging by the number of users associated with the HPI forum, that truck seems to be far-and-away the most popular. These models are EXTREMELY expensive, so I really want to be happy with my choice.

The Savage x 4.6 is apparently very well built and durable. Reviewers say it has excellent manufacturer support and parts availability. People I've spoken with all seem to think the Savage is the best value. I haven't really read any negatives about this model.

Both AE MGTs apparently are fairly comparable to the Savage, but reviews I've read seem to suggest that the 8.0 is more problematic than the 4.6, particularly related to difficulty tuning the engine and heat melting rubber/silicone parts near the engine. The comparisons I've read between the Savage and the MGT 4.6 seem to describe them as essentially equal with differences being mostly a matter of personal opinion. The twin vertical frame design of the Savage seems more consistent with full-scale monster truck design, but the over all look of the AE 4.6, IMO, looks more like a full-scale monster truck.

Personally, I'm looking for a model mostly for bashing around. In my area, there are no organized tracks for racing monster trucks. In fact, there are very few areas to run off-road RCs at all. I really like the huge bulk of the AE trucks, and Ireally like the flag bodies. Iwish the 8.0 had chevron style tires - consistent with Monster Jam trucks. If I thought I could be sure to get a solid, reliable model in the MGT 8.0, that would be my choice. I like the massive engine and I don't get to run my models enough to worry about going through expensive fuel. But I read comments from owners saying engine seals need to be replaced because they begin to leak. For that kind of money, I don't think I should have to be concerned with "fixing" my new engine.

Sorry to be long winded. I sure hopeyour inputcan offer some decisive reasons to go with one model over the others.

Thanks everyone.