Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My Savage Won't Start. Help?

Old 07-26-2003, 01:25 PM
scotthg1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Savage Won't Start. Help?

I WAS TRYING TO TUNE MY MEW SAVAGE AFTER I BROKE IT IN WITH 2 QUARTS OF FUEL. I MOVED THE LSN AND HSN. I WENT TO RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS OF 3 1/2 TURNS OUT ON THE LSN AND HSN. WELL, THE HSN WENT TO ITS STOP AND I TURNED IT 3 1/2 TURNS OUT BUT WHEN I WENT TO DO THE LSN THE SCREW JUST KEPT TURNING IN. AFTER ABOUT 5 TURNS IN, I WENT BACK OUT AND NOW IT WON'T RUN. I TURNED IT IN SLOWLY TO FIND THE STOP BUT IT KEPT ON TURNING IN. DOESN'T THE LSN HAVE A STOP. NOW IT DON'T RUN FOR MORE THAN 2-3 SECONDS. I NEED HELP?
Old 07-26-2003, 02:25 PM
joe78586
My Feedback: (3)

Try try taking it out and see if you stripped the thread. If you did it is probably still closed and letting a little if any gas in the engine.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:11 PM
kimolop

Can't remember where I read this, but here goes. The low speed needle will not stop. It will start turning the mid-range needle(the one we're not supposed to touch.) Here's the sequence for setting back to factory. Carb full open, turn mid-range needle to stop, then back out 3 1/4 turns. Carb closed,screw in low speed needle until it starts to turn mid-range needle. Stop. Open carb, back out low-speed needle 3 1/2 turns. High speed needle, carb open or closed,screw to stop, then back out 3 1/2 turns. Should be factory settings. Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Knoxville
My Feedback: (1)

Kimlop that is exactly right actually i had the same problem with mine but what kimlop has stated it true that is what i did and mine runs good hope this helps
Old 07-27-2003, 06:08 AM
Royda30

scotthg1 myself and a buddy bought savages at the same time and we both had that same problem with them. The biggest problems was air in the fuel hose going to the carb. I kind of figured that because the hose was touching the exhaust that fuel would try to run away from the heat and cause air pockets since it's not really being pumped to the carb so I now run my hose from the tank between shocks to the carb. Now it doesn't touch the fins on the engine head or the exhaust and we now don't have that problem as often. You might want to also check your glow plug I'm told they can go fast when breaking and engine in. These are just my thoughts and I hope that they work for you because I'm a Noob myself but these things seem to work for me.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Easy rider

If you close the carb firmly and turn the LSN in till it's completely in ( midneedle starts to turn aswel ) and then back out 3 1/4. It should be back to stock settings.

I had the same problem when I started with my Savage.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:53 PM
scotthg1

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. IT'S SUPPOSE TO RAIN ALL DAY TODAY SO I CAN ALL LEAST TRY AND GET MY SETTING BACK TO NORMAL AND THEN RUN IT ON MONDAY NIGHT. THANKS AGAIN.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:29 AM
ofnamp

Default 21 bb hard start after running screw in

I have a 21 bb that I got cheap from a friend that had sent it to HPI because it locked up after a 1/4 tank of fuel. They rebuilt it and sent it back to him but he had gotten rid of his savage by then. Anyway the point is when I first started it the engine ran hot immediatly jumped to 310 in about 30 sec. I rechecked the needle settings and tried it again 285 in 20 sec. I pulled the carb off and disasemmbled it and found that someone run the low side needle in too far and there is 2 o-rings on it and one of them came off the needle and fell in the carb inlet. This caused the problem. I reassembled and ran it again it ran great low temps. and started better than ever. I am almost finished the break in and hope it runs good. I hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:58 AM
scotthg1

Thanks ofnamp for the info. I will keep that in mind. I need to buy a temp gauge to help this newbie out.