Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage XL vs Losi XXL

Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 AM
titansavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL vs Losi XXL

hey,

Ive got an oppurunity to buy eihter one at a great price. Im wondering what ur guy's opinion is on these trucks. i will be bashing and well getting to the track. Ive owned 3 savages in the past and loved them. Had an LST2 for a bit and liked it as well. Just not sure which would be a better truck to choose now.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Savage XL vs Losi XXL

Both great trucks...flip a coin
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both have their place. And the Losi has much more place on a track than a Savage.. ;-) And, having had two Savages and now two LST2's.., everywhere else too, IMHO - except wheelying maybe, but the weather's good out for once, so I'm not going to go into it, and instead go out and continue breaking in my Big Red 28...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Spreading the Savage XL luv.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
HerrSavage

Respect..
Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 PM
^Horatio>

Get both, in any order. LST's and Savages are awesome - proper MT's!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM
HerrSavage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZVZp...eature=related

Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 AM
motas

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

Spreading the Savage XL luv.

OMG THATISAWESOME. Iso want one now.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 PM
titansavage

well an update...i was able to pick up a revo 3.3 with a race set up and a picco 26 red dot in it. Will be buying a XL brand new in the next week
Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Lord Maccrage

Everyone tells me the XXL is ine of the best trucks ever made. Better than the Savage/MGT etc...
Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 PM
cooldriver385

I've heard people having problems with the K5.9 engine in the Savage XL.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 PM
del1969

HPI all the way.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM
steed2-inactive

i am a savage guy through and through, I have to say though the xxl is a much nicer looking truck plus it comes with the lrp 28 factory installed which is a much better engine than the junk 5.9. savage's are tough, i mean stupid tough. these things take a beating great. youll notice trucks are always being compared to the savage....theres a reason for that.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:24 AM
HerrSavage

Part of the reason though is ignorance. Yes, the TVP Savage chassis is tough, and Savages tend not to break arms. That is ALL though that is tough about them*..

There's more to toughness though than just not breaking arms. Part quality is a big part of robustness. And everybody knows that the Savage drivetrain is not the strongest. So yes, the Savage will cartwheel down a hill after a newb misses a jump, and keep driving.. But in my experience anyway, after 2-3 gallons a Savage is going to have a lot of wear and need some new parts(I've got pictures around somewhere of my cups after just a few gallons- with an Axial 28... - shocking.., and in that same period I had numerous broken (and warped, even..) plastic parts.. I could practically scratch a skidplate with my fingernail.. And NO I wasn't bashing hard.. I never got the chance... It would break first.. First day out, testing lining up for the ramp, quarter throttle, max three feet up, landing in long, soft grass.. Broken upper arm.... That pretty much set the pattern with my XSS.. ) And of course, if you go put a Picco or something in it to replace the junky 5.9, you might blow up the transmission or a diff..

Plastic quality after the X came out was frankly poor IMO. On top of drivetrain issues.

I was an HPI cheerleader back then too when I first got my Savage 25 RTR(which DID have good plastic quality btw..) and thought it was the greatest, not knowing any other RC's.. Now though, I wouldn't get a Savage again having seen how much better the Losi MT's are.. And I'm just talking quality, reliability, and durability, not even performance..

All that said, the Losi XXL is expensive, and the LST2 was too. (You get what you pay for in this case..) But the Savage 4.6 is a good first RC IMO.. Fast and reasonably reliable - at least for 2-3 gallons.. Worthless on a track of course.. But fast in a parking lot..

*And even the TVP's were bendy garbage when the X first came out - remember all the little "X"'s breaking under the engine?..
Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Mclovin350z

With a new era roll bar, losi hd diff outdrives, losi sway bar and a vented brake disc from an 8ight-t, my xxl rocks. The 454 is pretty much just a lrp z28 in disguise. You will have to fiddle with the 2-speed and slipper a littlebut the truck is awesome. Oryou could get an xl, sell the 5.9 before using it, then put in a lrp 30.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 AM
cooldriver385

Now when you guys say the K5.9 engine sucks. Be more specific. Does it just not have the best performance? Or is it a very finicky engine that's very hard to work with and will just give me headaches?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
steed2-inactive

K5.9= easy to tune, less power than most .28's and poor build quality( high failure record)=exploding pistons...lol
Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 PM
ntrain42

XXL without question........is this a double thread btw? LOL! Losi has just too many great out of the box parts. LRP Spec3 engine, superior Spektrum DX3S radio, EXCELLENT suspension system with vastly superior big bore shocks, a much stronger twin steering servo setup, drivetrain is also ALOT stronger and is near bullitproof out of the box. LST XXL ='s WIN. And this says alot because the Savage XL is a good MT on its own.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
rcguy1979

Losi is definitely the best RTR if you are looking for something ready to bash out the box. Losi all the way!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Id rather replace a set of center drive cups every 4 gallons than having the A-Arms break when you are out bashing. 2 steering servo's is just added weight. One nice servo is better IMO. Less weight, and less wiring mess.The XL savage has bulletproof diff's in it which are going to last a long time with even the baddest of nitro engines in it too.

Im also willing to bet if you ever have a problem, HPI will cover it and you'll be doing good to even get Losi on the phone.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:10 AM
HerrSavage

Please... And on what basis do you assume that? You really have NO IDEA...

XXL's don't break a-arms either. Older LST2's were more prone, and even then, they were still superior to any Savage.. Savage quality is poor compared to Losi. Handling, no comparison... The Losi has a far better engine and radio.. And you can see from budbud and co that a powerful 28 like a Picco will still smoke a Savage tranny or diff.. It has taken HPI five generations to come up with the so-called "bullet-proof" diff, to make something that Losi has had all along.. After 3-4 months, you'll be wrenching more on your Savage, AND more regularly, than the Losi. Losi just produces better quality stuff.. Go check both out yoursself in a hobby shop..

Cummins, you've become a lame predictable fanboy, making negative comments about Losis when you're never touched one, and positive comments about post-25-era Savages when the same applies.. ALL you do is run your 25 Savage with Axial 28 back and forth over a field with the occasional wheely, and now you're the authority on bashing, quality, etc.. Please...
Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Mclovin350z

Savages are highly over-rated. There's a reason whythe xl is100 bucks cheaper.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:50 AM
cswtornado

Get a Savage and use the extra $100 to hop it up. Sell the brand new 5.9 on ebay and get a decent engine and you're set.
The extra $100 can be used to beef up whatever is claimed to be weak on the Savage. Let's say the cup joints blowing holes :http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86276/
Or you can get bulletproof diffs (I don't know where to find em but just ask on the forum)
$100 is a lot of cash to spend on drivetrain upgrades...
Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Id rather replace a set of center drive cups every 4 gallons than having the A-Arms break when you are out bashing. 2 steering servo's is just added weight. One nice servo is better IMO. Less weight, and less wiring mess.The XL savage has bulletproof diff's in it which are going to last a long time with even the baddest of nitro engines in it too.

Im also willing to bet if you ever have a problem, HPI will cover it and you'll be doing good to even get Losi on the phone.
2 "nice" servos are much better than one. My XXL for example has 2 Hitec servos that combined have over 800 ounces of torque(thats 50 foot pounds of torque). And the added "weight" of a few extra ounces can easily be offset(I run a carbon fiber chassis set). And the added redundancy is nice too because if one fails, you have another that will at least get you by for the raceor bash session.And there is no wiring mess. I'll post pics of both my XXL rigs. The wiring is very neat and clean.

And for the Savage diffs. They are far from bullitproof. The spider gears are known weakpoints, and the diffs themselves are open which means sand,pebbles,rocks can get chewed up between the pinion/ring gear. New Era Hobbies(who makes ALOT of aftermarket aluminum parts for the Savage and LST)sells alot of diff parts for the savage due to the wear issues.

And what is this on Losi A-arms breaking? Maybe stock ones, inextreme conditions, butpeople who boil the stock parts never have breakage issues. And getting a set of RPM A-arms for cheap money will also ensure a rock solid arm. The only problem with stock losi compositeplastic, is that it is too rigid.But its an easy and FREE fix.Boiling the plastic parts makes them stronger, much moreflexible and near impossible to break. Its what many of the RC veterans do with composite and nylon parts. I've been doing it for 20 years.

You got quite a bit to learn still I think.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:58 AM
ntrain42

ORIGINAL: cswtornado

Get a Savage and use the extra $100 to hop it up. Sell the brand new 5.9 on ebay and get a decent engine and you're set.
The extra $100 can be used to beef up whatever is claimed to be weak on the Savage. Let's say the cup joints blowing holes :http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86276/
Or you can get bulletproof diffs (I don't know where to find em but just ask on the forum)
$100 is a lot of cash to spend on drivetrain upgrades...
Your still running an inferior Tx/Rx set. And selling out the 5.9 for adecent motor puts you right back to ground 0. In other words you end up spending more money to get a Savage XL on the same level as a LST XXL out of the box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.