RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Need help deciding between HPI And Associated (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/10390725-need-help-deciding-between-hpi-associated.html)

Sherv 03-10-2011 07:22 AM

Need help deciding between HPI And Associated

I'm looking for Reliability more than anything really.

What I have owned in Nitro MTs are Revo and MGT 3.0 (still running somehow after the hell it has been through) and a Savage Flux 2350.

I'm partial to Associated because my MGT 3.0 was insanely reliable and durable.

Now the choices. Money is not a factor.

MGT 4.6 vs MGT 8.0 vs Savage 4.6 SS vs Savage XL

I know there are different engine sizes but what I'm looking for is something durable and very reliable (motor wise).

I've heard plenty of good things about both 4.6 models from associated and hpi but mixed opinions about the XL and 8.0.
Should I even bother looking at the 8.0 and XL?

My main concern is Engine Reliability and Longevity and the 4.6 models (both of them) have that down. It's the larger ones I worry about. Any and all opinions welcome.
Thank you!

Shenanigans 03-10-2011 07:36 AM

RE: Need help deciding between HPI And Associated

I think if you go the savage route...you go with the 4.6 then upgrade it to an xl, or extended if you want to in the future....its inexpensive and you get a better engine in the 4.6.

I've never owned an associated MT, but what I read they seem to be just as reliable as the savage, so either choice will be good.  You have to decide whether you want a flat chassis design, or a TVP layout....both have advantages and disadvantages.

JUCD VPR 03-10-2011 11:38 AM

Have you thought about looking at the Losi LST XXL?

I have owned the Savage SS 4.6 and thought it was a good all around truck.

steed2-inactive 03-10-2011 01:28 PM

this thread is going to get interesting..lol
i will say if you go the savage route, get the rtr version, it has stronger dogbones, and drivecups, and comes with a much better engine. i would go the savage route but my opinion is biased. i love my savage's, and my x rtr is my favourite.

SLAYERDUDE 03-12-2011 05:26 PM

I own an XL and 8.0, around RCU there's lots of K5.9 haters but mine has 11+ gallons over 2 years and runs strong, had a few airleaks here and there but great engine IMO.
The 8.0 engine is infamous for being a turd, mine was out of the box... but after warranty from AE it seems to be pretty strong so far but I had to set the low end waaaay rich from factory to get it to even hold an idle and it has less than a gallon now.
The guys I personally know that have had 8.0's for a couple years are not on their original engine, some are on #3..

As far as truck durability, XL hands down!
I've broken several things on the MGT just bashing around in a parking lot.[&:]

Wonder what's going to happen when the MGT meets the "Punisher"...

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/y...r7-15-2010.gif

1QwkSport2.5r 03-13-2011 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

I have owned the Savage SS 4.6 and thought it was a good all around truck.
I havent owned any HPI or AE stuff, but I know several people with both. To be honest, I spend more time running (my LST2's) than fixing. My buddies spend more time fixing (their MGT's and Savages) than running. I am not going to start another "ford vs. chevy" argument, but I would consider the Losi 1/8 MT platform too. They are very very tough and the engines are very easy to tune and run. A buddy said it best "The Losi LST2 (XXL is just a longer LST2) is stupidly overbuilt". I agree. Easy to work on, and very stable right out of the box. Not to mention the XXL comes factory with a Spektrum DX3S radio w/ telemetry. Big bonus there.

Just my (heavily taxed) $.02....

pure speed:] 03-13-2011 07:10 AM

+1 or even a revo lol, but if it were me i'd get the MGT always had good luck with AE

1QwkSport2.5r 03-13-2011 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: pure speed:]

+1 or even a revo lol, but if it were me i'd get the MGT always had good luck with AE

I almost bought an MGT when I was getting into 1/8th scale. The one thing that sealed the deal was the pivot ball type suspension arms on the MGT. Didn't look good to me, and my friends MGT confirmed my suspicions some time later. The losi looked much tougher and more stable to me. What I find funny with my Losi's is even if I break a suspension arm or turnbuckle, I can still drive the truck back to me.. (unless its upside down of course).. It will come crawling back even if mortally wounded.. :)

SLAYERDUDE 03-13-2011 09:23 AM

Yea if you set an MGT side by side with a Tmaxx they are VERY similar in design..
(I also have a Tmaxx):eek:

Airbus 9e 03-13-2011 04:32 PM

I agree with the Losi crowd....My Aftershock outhandles and outruns my brother inlaws' and my nephews Savages, though the Savage is a very tough truck....My nephew is 9 and his truck is a handmedown that's been through hell and back.....rarely ever has any trouble and it gets zero work done to it....

mkruse 03-13-2011 06:11 PM

I have a losi and it seriously is tougher than anything else ive seen. and the stock motor is a really good motor

cummins driver 03-14-2011 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I havent owned any HPI or AE stuff, but I know several people with both. To be honest, I spend more time running (my LST2's) than fixing. My buddies spend more time fixing (their MGT's and Savages) than running.
Maybe they dont know what they are doing or something? Its funny how little I have broken my MGT's and Savages and then to hear this.

For all out bashing, give me a savage anyday.

For all around driveability and being easy to work on, the MGT may be the better choice.

Both are great trucks IMO.

Eric

jbooker82 03-14-2011 03:27 PM

I dont see how a flat pan chassis is stronger than two vertical chassis plates.

The savage weakness WAS the diffs. HPI's new bullit proof diffs that has fixed the issue.

Go look at slayerdude's web site and see what the savage can handle

cummins driver 03-14-2011 05:35 PM

x2

100% correct