RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   What's STRONGEST motor for my SUMMIT?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/10676721-whats-strongest-motor-my-summit.html)

STREETKING 08-18-2011 04:17 PM

What's STRONGEST motor for my SUMMIT??

Hi. I just got a new traxxas summit and I gotta say that it is a pretty awesome rig, but I was wanting to know if there was any motors out there with more power than the stock one. I know about those Kershaw motors, but they say 700, and the titan says 775. Does this mean anything? I want a stronger motor because I noticed that sometimes when I attempt to push, pull, or climb things, the titan will stall out. Theres nothing wrong mechanically with my titan motor, I just want one with more torque. It can be brushed or brushless. Thanks

pure speed:] 08-18-2011 04:34 PM

RE: What's STRONGEST motor for my SUMMIT??

get a Tekin RX8 motot/combo

Maj_Overdrive 08-21-2011 06:39 PM

Dewalt Drill motor is the most powerful brushed motor you can stuff in there. They're about $30 new, built like a tank and can take a beating, keep you waterproof. Get a 14.4v or 18v. Brushless, go with the RX8 combo, the crawling ability is better than a sensorless system would be.

STREETKING 08-24-2011 05:47 PM

Yea another guy told me about that rx8 combo, but the question I wanna know is, will i lose the torque of the titan motor with the rx8 combo? And for the dewalt motor..im sure its strong and has the torque im looking for, but i DEFINTELY don't wanna go slower than the titan. So my question about the dewalt is, will I lose speed to gain strength? And where do you get those motors from anyway?

Maj_Overdrive 08-24-2011 06:46 PM

The dewalt motors can be purchased from any place that services and repairs power tools, or online. I think sears carries them online. You will lose some speed with the dewalt motor, but only IF you keep the stock gearing. But because of their torque, they can be geared for speeds higher than the titan. I had one in a revo, geared 21/65, it was a faster setup with more torque than stock. There's a bunch of threads about installing drill motors into revo's, summitts, maxx's over on the Traxxas forums. Slight modification to one of the holes on the motor mount is required, but you'll never use that hole again for any normal motor, brushed or brushless.

Brushless is another animal. Any 1/8th scale brushless will have more torque and speed than the titan or dewalt. If you still want to do crawling, stick with a sensored setup to prevent stalling and cogging. The RX8 is the easy answer, being sensored and availible in a combo with an appropriate size motor. Castle has the Mamba Max Pro which is sensored also, but its more for lighter vehicles, and not availible in a combo with a suitable size motor. The RX8 has higher amp ratings and a stronger BEC to run all those sevo's and lights too.

Kylar 08-26-2011 08:33 AM

The dewalt motors are awesome! I have the 14.4v in my summit and I think i could pull up a small bush from the ground...lol They are actually more like $35-40 new.
These are a great, low cost way to get more speed and torque, but still use your stock ESC and remain waterproof!

I actually have 2 used ones for sale, both also 14.4v. I bought 3 drills as a package deal on ebay with good motors, but i dont need the other two. I already removed the motors, tested them, and removed the pinion (which is the pain in the ass part) I'll sell each for $25 Shipped if youre interested. Both are in Very good Shape.<br type="_moz" />

STREETKING 09-01-2011 03:45 PM

well, i ordered that tacon motor, and xerun esc from hobby parts. i hope it gives me what im looking for. I'll keep yall posted on the results...

Kylar 09-01-2011 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: STREETKING

well, i ordered that tacon motor, and xerun esc from hobby parts. i hope it gives me what im looking for. I'll keep yall posted on the results...

Thats a Good combo for an e-maxx or revo, not sure how it will be in the Summit for low gear and crawling. I bet it will be a blast for high gear though. Let us know how it turns out.