RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   what monster truck?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/10817013-what-monster-truck.html)

dunning3075 11-17-2011 03:11 PM

what monster truck??

I am looking to buy a monster truck. I currently own a redcat aftershock 8e, a brushless electrix circut , a stock circut, a ruckus and a boost. I want to stay with an electric truck. What would you guys suggest ? I want something fast and fun to drive. Possibly waterproof.

dunning3075 11-17-2011 06:34 PM

RE: what monster truck??

so no advice lol.

My choices at the moment are:
savage flux 2350 2.4 brushless rtr
emaxx brushless 2.4 rtr
summit 2.4 4wd rtr
erevo 2.4 rtr brushed

dunning3075 11-17-2011 07:02 PM

there is also the avalache xte from redcat. come on guys chime in and give me an opinion

steed2-inactive 11-17-2011 07:45 PM

out of those 4, well i wouldn't recommend the summit, so out of the other three, which one do you like the best based on the research you have done? thats the truck to buy.

dunning3075 11-17-2011 08:30 PM

Why would you not recommend the summit just wandering. It was the one I was leaning toward.

SLAYERDUDE 11-17-2011 09:10 PM

Get a Flux and watch out for the meyhem that insues?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeRysc6u_A8[/youtube]

Oh, get rid of the off brand RC's you are buying...[:'(]

dunning3075 11-17-2011 09:43 PM

Why would I get rid of them? Low cost a blast to drive and tough as nails. My brushless circut has been gps at 59 mph. I love driving them.

On the flux side I was looking at them also. I will look into them a little further. I like the water proof idea of the traxxas models.

noobie974 11-17-2011 10:51 PM

Well once Foxy finds this thread he'll sayhttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...PPR**&P=MLso ill just beat him to it

steed2-inactive 11-18-2011 06:26 AM

you said you want something fast and fun to drive, the summit may be fun, but its not fast by any means. the savage is tougher than the emaxx and revo combined, the emaxx is tougher than the savage, the revo is tougher than the emaxx but not the savage, the savage is better, the emaxx is better, the erevo is better than them both....blah blah blah, that basically sums up what will go on in this thread, once the mass's chime in here. basically choose the truck you like the best based on what you can find on websites, reviews, etc and make the choice for yourself. Every truck brings something special to the table and every truck has short falls in different ways with different drivers. there's only one person who can answer your question and its.... you. Dont buy a truck based on what someguy in an internet forum told you. just my opinion.

Foxy 11-18-2011 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: steed2

you said you want something fast and fun to drive, the summit may be fun, but its not fast by any means. the savage is tougher than the emaxx and revo combined, the emaxx is tougher than the savage, the revo is tougher than the emaxx but not the savage, the savage is better, the emaxx is better, the erevo is better than them both....blah blah blah, that basically sums up what will go on in this thread, once the mass's chime in here. basically choose the truck you like the best based on what you can find on websites, reviews, etc and make the choice for yourself. Every truck brings something special to the table and every truck has short falls in different ways with different drivers. there's only one person who can answer your question and its.... you. Dont buy a truck based on what someguy in an internet forum told you. just my opinion.
This is a worthy sentiment, but is not really practical. Yes, it's important to understand that many people's opinions are worthless, but... Would you allow someone to choose the Slayer for their first short course? Or to buy a Rustler if their budget was $600?

By saying the above, you're invalidating any kind of discussion prior to purchase, which fanboys aside, is just as wrong as taking everybody's posts at face value.

The op should look for indication in responses that the respondee has understood their needs and is speaking from at least an educated perspective, if not from personal experience.

Noobie974, thanks for that. I would indeed recommend that as the best value for money RC in the world right now, let alone monster truck, but the Savage Flux is equally good. I would stay away from Traxxas, despite their waterproof-ness (new word? [&:]), but that's just a personal opinion.

The Thunder Tiger is arguably the best 1/8th monster truck out of the box on the market at the moment, and one of the cheapest too.

dunning3075 11-18-2011 02:39 PM

So if I get the savage flux 2350 what should I get as far as upgrades
And can you make it water proof? Not sure why the waterproof matters just nice I guess. I really want a tough basher
If I get the summit how slow is it and will it be bashable such as jumps and stuff.

Foxy 11-18-2011 03:03 PM

The Thunder Tiger is better than both of those trucks. No upgrades needed for 2350, servo maybe. No upgrades needed for the Thunder Tiger either, and it has better electronics. The only reason to go with a Savage would be the aftermarket.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-08QCbdOM[/youtube]

noobie974 11-18-2011 03:37 PM

personally id go with the savage the parts are everywhere the TT reminds me of the revo in the fact its like a monster truggy

dunning3075 11-18-2011 03:57 PM

I have a buddy that runs my local hobby shop and want to buy from him. He dosent carry the thunder tiger.

Foxy 11-18-2011 04:15 PM

Savage 2350 is a great truck for the money, go for it.

dunning3075 11-18-2011 04:22 PM

So any normal breaking parts I should stock or change? I am really leaning toward the savage. I just really want an awesome truck to bash around that I won't have to work on all the time. What batterys would you suggest. The rtr pkg that I'm looking at dosent come with batteries.

Foxy 11-18-2011 04:28 PM

I ran about 20 packs through my 2350, hard bashing, nothing broken or even beginning to wear out. I'm in the process of upgrading it, but only for the sake of adjustability, it's been absolutely rock solid. Keeping some spare arms around (lower arms) would be smart, as would buying a stock of the wheel hexes, the wheel pins and the flanged wheel nuts, because if you do a lot of jumping the wheels will fall off sometimes. It;s annoying, and there is a fix for it when you can be bothered. All the tips in this video are good, some are worth doing, some are not. The wheel falling off fix specifically is at 8.09

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pynm-2MAmc4[/youtube]

dunning3075 11-21-2011 12:26 PM

Well I went to a track this weekend and with great luck I got to personally look at in person a savage flux 2350 and personally drive a summit. After the experiance I decided to go with the summit. I ordered it today and am waiting patiently lol for it to arrive. I have a few rcs that run over 50 mph and didnt really see the point in another high speed truck.

I had a blast driving the summit and can hardly wait to get mine in. In the mean time I am working on upgrading my ruckus to brushless for a little more speed when Im bashing lol

JUCD VPR 11-23-2011 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: dunning3075

Well I went to a track this weekend and with great luck I got to personally look at in person a savage flux 2350 and personally drive a summit. After the experiance I decided to go with the summit. I ordered it today and am waiting patiently lol for it to arrive. I have a few rcs that run over 50 mph and didnt really see the point in another high speed truck.

I had a blast driving the summit and can hardly wait to get mine in. In the mean time I am working on upgrading my ruckus to brushless for a little more speed when Im bashing lol
Good choice. In the end all the trucks you were looking at are good in their own way. I own all of them and love them differently, kinda like a parent with multiple children lol. The Summit can go places those other trucks can't because of it's crawling ability and remote locking differentials! I run a Low Volatage Cut off and 2S Lipo batteries in my Summit stock. Here in the near future I will be upgrading it to brushless so not only will it be able to go anywhere almost, but it'll be nearly just as fast as a Flux or a E-Revo ewith a Mamba Moster combo and you can still crawl with it. Enjoy it!