RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 anyone? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/10837333-thunder-tiger-mt4-g3-anyone.html)

bnas67 11-30-2011 07:33 PM

Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 anyone?

Was looking to get back into R/C and want an RTR that I will not have to repair constantly. Originally going to purchase Savage Flux HP, then LHS recommended E-revo brushless. Everything I read is either love or hate. Now I found the MT4-G3. Does anyone out there own this truck and compared it to either of these models? The more research I do the more unsure I am about my intended purchase. I know it is a truggy but could care less.. It seems tough. I just want something solid. More driving less repairing.

Had original Tmaxx nitro back in 99' then upgraded to Koyosho Mad Force. Got sick of dealing with nitro so I gave it up. Now I want back in due to brushless technology which was unreachable due to cost back then.

silverman1 12-06-2011 04:32 PM

RE: Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 anyone?

From what I heard its pretty hot. The advantage of the savage flux though is excellent aftermarket parts support. The savage has always had a great following. Not saying the truck you want is not good but popularity equals better parts support.

supertib 12-07-2011 05:58 AM

the MT4 Truggy will be more durable then the Savage.....easier to fix too if it does ever break........

Foxy 12-07-2011 06:04 AM

I completely believe this is not only the best electric MT on the market at the moment, but also probably the best value for money RC period. And I am a Savage Flux owner with over a grand in his truck. I'm seriously considering selling it and getting the TT.

In terms of durability and performance, it stands head and shoulders above anything else out there at the moment.

If every company that makes a racing truggy refitted their truggy to be a monster truck (as TT have done; this truck is based on the bulletproof ST-1 truggy), the monster truck class as it is would soon cease to exist. The truggy platform is faster, better handling and more durable.

supertib 12-07-2011 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I completely believe this is not only the best electric MT on the market at the moment, but also probably the best value for money RC period. And I am a Savage Flux owner with over a grand in his truck. I'm seriously considering selling it and getting the TT.

In terms of durability and performance, it stands head and shoulders above anything else out there at the moment.

If every company that makes a racing truggy refitted their truggy to be a monster truck (as TT have done; this truck is based on the bulletproof ST-1 truggy), the monster truck class as it is would soon cease to exist. The truggy platform is faster, better handling and more durable.

And much easier to work on

LaTuFu 12-07-2011 01:03 PM

I own an E-Revo brushless and couldn't be happier with it.

But I know of several guys like Foxy who own a Savage or an ERBE, that also own the MT4, and love, love, love the MT4.

My only hesitation for buying it is aftermarket parts supporthow readily available are replacement parts?

If you can get what you need from Tower or Stormer, then I'm sold.

Foxy 12-07-2011 01:55 PM

Thunder Tiger is massive in Europe, it is to us what Traxxas is to the states I would suggest. For us it's a no brainer, half the LHSes in Europe stock TT.

BigGrump 12-08-2011 10:30 PM

And for us in the US, Tower Hobbies has almost everything in stock, at least for now. I have had all the other models, especially in Nitro, and I can honestly say, I find the layout of the MT4 the most appealing, and the way they sanwich everything between the chassis and a plastic cover is more than fine with me. The conventional truggy (buggy) chassis layout does reduce the center ground clearance some, but the big diamenter tires make up for this quite a bit.

But............the big thing is handling. Big tires for going over everything, and a low center of gravity so it does not traction roll very easily. Even an old duffer like me can have fun driving the MT4 and not need to worry about chasing after it to turn it right side up.

Center diff works just like the normal buggies or truggies, but the truck has enough low speed torque to pop wheelies at enough to show off, but never at higher speeds where either the Savage or Revo get into trouble with their transmission that facilitates top speed wheelies, and all the mishaps that goes along with them.

I know it sounds like fan boy talk, but I am starting to take the truck for granted, because so far, no repairs or broken parts. I did spend some days and effort in tuning, as in diff fluid weights, rear sway bar and steering alignments, but that is just me. I love to tinker. With the MT4 I can look at ways to adjust without being concerned with being gentle in use so I am not bogged down with broken parts.

Oopps, one failure I forgot....... For some reason the stock radio transmitter and receiver stopped working correctly. My solution was to put in one of the $8.00 FlySky receivers, and bound it to a FlySky GT3B I had sitting around. Perfect.....

Dennis

LaTuFu 12-09-2011 05:53 AM

Thanks to both of you for the very informative feedback.  The MT4 has now been bumped to the top of my wish list for the spring.

LaTuFu 12-20-2011 06:24 AM

As BigGrump and I have already discovered, there is a new forum for TT owners, wondertiger.com

crazycd1 12-28-2011 12:55 PM

I just jumped on board. Ordered one from Tower and can't wait for it to get here. Was between the Savage, Summit and MT4 for me mostly and the reviews on the MT4 made it to hard to pass up. Had 3 nitro savages already and a revo so wanted to try this instead.