RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Getting into RC need some help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/10888886-getting-into-rc-need-some-help.html)

new2rc617 01-02-2012 09:45 PM

Getting into RC need some help

Ok so I have always wanted to get into rc and now im going to take the plunge. Main reason being that my 14 year old brother got a traxxas slash for christmas and I have to admit I'm a little jealous! (I'm 24...lol) I have my eye on two trucks, the Redcat Caldera 10E and the Recat volcano epx pro, I like them both but something keeps pulling me towards the volcano, I would plan on getting a Lipo for either truck, some advice from owners or anyone who has ran either of these trucks would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

LaTuFu 01-03-2012 07:25 AM

RE: Getting into RC need some help

Is there any reason you're leaning towards the redcats other than price?

They are pretty decent trucks for the money, but one of the things you need to keep in mind is that hobby grade trucks will need replacement parts over time.

Will you be purchasing the truck online or from your LHS? If you're going thru your LHS, what replacement parts do they typically stock?

Since you are new to the hobby, you might want to go with a more established brand. Traxxas makes really good RTR trucks, most LHS's and online stores carry their replacement parts, and there are tons of them available on Craigslist, ebay, etc. Better parts availabiilty=less downtime and frustration due to parts delays.

For about the same money or a little bit more, you can get a solid Traxxas truck. A 2wd brushed stampede would be a solid alternative to the volcano.

I couldn't tell from the online specs, but the ESC for the Volcano may not be LiPo rated. You'll want to read the manual carefully and find out if it has a LVC or LVA built into the ESC for LiPos. If not, you can still run them, you will just need to get a $5 Low Voltage Alarm from eBay.

new2rc617 01-03-2012 08:11 AM

It is mainly price that draws me towards the redcat, I have done some research and found that redcat, exceed, himoto, and hsp all have interchangable parts, as far as the redcat both the caldera and volcano are lipo ready, I will be purchasing online so that is where I will go for parts as well. From what I have read the Caldera is just a few dollars more and is more solid and comes with a better battery right out of the bow. (3800mah vs the volcano 2000mah)

pure speed:] 01-04-2012 06:09 AM

dude save your $up and get a brand you can find parts for at your local hobby shop. look on youtube the redcats exceeds ect... are like toygrade they dont last long .look on craigslist 4 rc youll find a deal hell get a used ofna hyper7 150$... it'll kill that slash goodluck

LaTuFu 01-04-2012 07:27 AM

I'd still steer you more towards an established name brand like Traxxas or HPI. They are more durable than a lot of the "off brand" names. More run time, less frustration.

Plus, if you get the bug for it, there are more options for hop ups and mods with the established brands than there are with the knock-offs. There is also a whole lot more online forum support for them as well. Nothing sucks more than to be a noob in need of info and have 4 threads on the whole internet about your truck. And 3 of them are "does anyone have a....?"

Once you've been in it for a while, have the experience, know what you like, etc. You can easily pick one of these up as a "mess around" vehicle to tinker with.

As the primary truck, I think the redcat has more potential to wind up frustrating you out of the hobby.

JMHO