RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/11049943-official-thunder-tiger-mt4-g3-thread.html)

sparky 25 12-25-2012 12:33 PM

RE: The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The charger comes preset with a 120-minute cutoff setting.. The beeping was just the timer. The first lipo was 4.10-4.20 at the beep, the second 4.18-4.20.. Both times the second cell was the only one constantly reading 4.20....
The 4.18-420 is alright,

But the other at 4.10 is probably a weak cell,

I've only ever bought zippy and turnigy lipos, these would be considered budget lipos,

But of the 10 plus packs I've had none have failed to balance perfectly after a charge,

If I had bought brand name lipos I'd expect them to balance perfectly also,

Perhaps it's time to call the supplier.

HerrSavage 12-25-2012 12:35 PM

Yeah, I think so too.. Just groping in the dark about how important it is that the spread of the cells is 4.10-4.20 as opposed to 4.18-4.20..

Whatever the case, observing over time, the cells were definitely getting closer and closer, and for the most part at 0.0-0.1A...

HerrSavage 12-26-2012 03:41 AM

First pack through.. Pretty cool.. :)

sparky 25 12-26-2012 03:54 AM

Your opinion of brushless changing?

HerrSavage 12-26-2012 07:26 AM

I was positively impressed.. I won't however be talking trash to nitro people anytime soon... Different, not better..

sparky 25 12-26-2012 12:58 PM

Yep your keep trash talking for people who run electric!

HerrSavage 12-26-2012 11:43 PM

If I buy this lipo:

ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 5S1P 40C

..from hobbyking, AND a 5.5mm/bullet whatever-to-Deans adapter (locally on ebay), do I need anything else? In the description for that lipo at hobbyking it says "without housing".. Does that mean I need a housing of some sort?

Spec.
Capacity: 5000mAh
Voltage: 5S1P / 5 Cell / 18.5v
Discharge: 40C Constant / 50C Burst
Weight: 704g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 147x51x45mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge plug: 5.5mm Bullet-connector (without housing)

Thanks..

echthelion 12-27-2012 02:12 AM

..from hobbyking, AND a 5.5mm/bullet whatever-to-Deans adapter (locally on ebay), do I need anything else? In the description for that lipo at hobbyking it says "without housing".. Does that mean I need a housing of some sort?

i think your spot on tho bullets without a housing scare me because if they touch your batterys dead

sidenote about hobbyking lipos alot come with 8ga wire. if you ever wanted to put a deans on it youll most likey have a hard time fitting it on a deans solder tabs. and with a cheap iron 8ga wire can be a real pain to heat all the way thru the wire but still doable

good lipos but as im still learning how to solderwell... i shy away from 8ga

HerrSavage 12-27-2012 02:25 AM

OK, thanks.. I don't want to have to solder it anyway. I want an adapter - plug and play...

The adapter I thought would work for it is a 4mm though. Can't find anything here locally with "5.5mm". Is 5.5mm also know as "gold contacts"??

sparky 25 12-27-2012 02:30 AM

That lipo you are looking at comes with heat shrink covering around the end of the power wires,

Most zippy lipos come with a plastic housing that keeps the end of the wires fixed in place so they cannot touch,

Don't you have a hobby shop nearby or know someone who can solder new ends onto your lipos,

Turnigy lipos come with 8awg wire, zippy lipos come with finer 10awg

echthelion 12-27-2012 02:35 AM

you mean something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HXT-5-5mm-to...item3cc582b399 

no clue if that would work tho so do your research

and no i myself  never heard them being called gold contacts but i mightbe wrong again

echthelion 12-27-2012 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

Turnigy lipos come with 8awg wire, zippy lipos come with finer 10awg

ahh i knew 1 of them did

HerrSavage 12-27-2012 02:46 AM

ORIGINAL: echthelion

you mean something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HXT-5-5mm-to...item3cc582b399

no clue if that would work tho so do your research

and no i myself never heard them being called gold contacts but i mightbe wrong again

Exactly.. What's the downside to using those instead of soldering?..

Sparky, no, no LHS worth a d.amn to turn to.. My awful experience trying to solder Traxxas plugs really put me off soldering for a while.. I'll get back around to it someday: just not now if at all avoidable..

echthelion 12-27-2012 03:12 AM

adaptors add extra resistance and potential points of failure into the system

most everyone says to not use them because of said reasons BUT alot of people who run two 2cells/3cells use series adaptors and are fine

i myself have never usedany but ive only been doing electric for 6 months

HerrSavage 12-27-2012 04:54 AM

What size pinion is adviseable for running standard (LPR) truggy tires? Want to order a couple spur gears and pinions. I've heard to get a 14 for speed runs with the stock tires.. But for running on your average track with truggy tires?

Also, how do you go about mounting up a truggy body?

HerrSavage 12-28-2012 12:53 AM

Is an alu center-diff toplate worth getting?

HerrSavage 12-28-2012 01:20 AM

Double-post.

Foxy 12-28-2012 01:38 AM

Is an alu center-diff toplate worth getting?
If you plan to do a lot of 6S running, maybe. It will just add some extra rigidity to the center diff housing.

Foxy 12-28-2012 01:40 AM

What size pinion is adviseable for running standard (LPR) truggy tires? Want to order a couple spur gears and pinions. I've heard to get a 14 for speed runs with the stock tires.. But for running on your average track with truggy tires?

Also, how do you go about mounting up a truggy body?
How are temps on the stock gearing? What batteries will you mainly be using?

HerrSavage 12-28-2012 04:21 AM

Just did another 15 minutes in the parking lot.. Cool. Likin' it..

As I noticed in that one top-speed video, this truck is really stable at speed. Will wheely all over the parking lot, but I like how it just stays planted and looks so well-balanced at WOT(or whatever you call it for flashlights..). Why anyone would buy a Savage or Revo over this?...

Definitely need more speed though. Gonna' have to try 5s sooner rather than later..

Or maybe just a 14T pinion. I don't quite get the gearing though - seems counterintuitive.. With 4s a 14T is good, but with a MORE powerful lipo like a 5s, a 12T is good?..

HerrSavage 12-28-2012 06:24 AM

Anybody familiar with Mystery or Xcell lipos? Looking at a 1.) Mystery 5s 5000 30C with Deans and better dimensions for fitment than the Zippy 5000 40C 5s....., and 2.) an Xcel with 4200 35C, also with Deans and perfect dimensions.. Bit cheaper than the Mystery...

I want more intense power I think than extra long run times...

Haddi Taha 12-28-2012 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, here is my 4 month old Mt4 G3. I just cleaned it well yesterday so thats why it looks barely used but I can assure you I have put over 70 packs at least.

The original shell is destroyed. The yellow shell is a st1-pro shell, a bit stronger than stock and fits well but still not very strong. The blue one is a Jconcepts Illuzion RC8T shell, its a tough shell but it doesn't fit well, the clips go on very tight at the front and the rear barely mount on, the clips have to go on vertically. I ordered a Jconcepts Illuzion Ford Raptor SVT for Revo 3.3 yesterday, I will give feedback on it once it arrives.

I have a Savox 1256tg for better steering. I also have a Hobbywing 2200kv 4274sd motor because the original crapped out. It was covered under warranty and I sold the replacement they gave me because the hobbywing is a bit more powerful and runs a bit cooler. I have a steel rc8t 50t spur gear and robinson racing 12t hardened steel mod 1 pinion. The original spur stripped due to bad gear mesh on my part and the original pinion didn't like the new steel spur gear. I haven't broken any hinge pins yet but I replaced them yesterday with hotbodies and hpi alternatives just in case. I doubled up on front lower suspension plates as I broke one in a massive full throttle crash into a curb, thats all the damaged.

I am also going to make a tower to tower brace with that metal rod thing in the last picture. Many on the Wonder Tiger forums have used these, they are aftermarket Harley Davidson Shifter linkages you can find on ebay for $20 or so. The purpose of this brace is to a) prevent the chassis from bending, b) prevent the shock towers from bending and c) to keep the body posts from bending too much in a crash so I don't wreck my body shells to quick. When I get to making it and installing, I will tell you how it went.

The hex inside my wheels are slowly getting stripped, I am thinking of replacing them with either a new set of stockers or Proline badlands or trenchers.

I've sprayed the truck with some WD-40 to remove rust from the cvd's, diff halves, turbuckles and screws. Worked extremely well, the cvd shafts were all orange rust before.....

Overall, funnest RC I have had and incrediabally tough
<br type="_moz" />

Haddi Taha 12-28-2012 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, the pictures were to big to fit in one post

Haddi Taha 12-28-2012 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the thing I will make my tower to tower brace with. I need to get 2 pieces of angled aluminum, cut them to shape and get the right nuts and bolts to hold it together

supertib 12-28-2012 07:09 PM

Truggies rule !!!