RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Just got a Used Traxxas Summit? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/11465412-just-got-used-traxxas-summit.html)

ProfitOfDoom 04-01-2013 10:30 PM

Just got a Used Traxxas Summit?

Well I just made a impulse buy and bought a used traxxas summit 1/10. First off got it for $350. It looks clean and not too beat up, everything seems to work fine. Got the 2 stock batteries,all tools and manual, 2amp peak charger, and 2 venom lipos that looks pretty well used but are holding a charge pretty well,Not that it matters at this point since I already bought it,But what do you think,Good deal?
Its cold and dark now,but just got done charging the packs and had to go out in the yard to see if it ran well "I only tested it upon purchase to make sure it all functioned and didnt really go full speed" But like I said its dark and wanted to give it a test and went out and when I gun it,it looks like the lights go dim and out for a couple of seconds,they seem to come back on as you drive,Is this Normal?

Also do I understand this correctly,this ESC doesnt have a low voltage cut off? The P.O. bought these lipos used and didnt realize you needed a new charger for them so he never used them. But im just wondering do you just time your runs,Is there a built in cut off? Or do you need to buy something on the side like a alarm or some kind of cutoff?

Or would you recommend just buying some Nimh packs? I just have some lipos on hand and would be easier than buying new Nimh,but what do you think?

BKoz559 04-01-2013 11:05 PM

RE: Just got a Used Traxxas Summit?

The earlier versions of the EVX2 ESCdon't have LiPo cut-off. Look above the EZ set button for very small print that reads "Low Voltage Detection." IF yours doesn't have this then your ESC is an earlier version and doesn't have auto LiPo cut-off. Your options are to install a voltage meter and check it occassionally or install an alarm so it sounds at a specified voltage level. Lastly, you can upgrade your ESC. Those are the safe options. You can do it by "feel" and basically stop when your truck begins to show a drop in power / speed. Immediately stop driving. This is risky but, if you can gauge it then you will eventually know how long to run it before the voltage drops too low.

ProfitOfDoom 04-02-2013 01:12 AM

No,it doesnt have the low voltage cut off. I guess I got the early version. Does this mean I got burned for the $350? were there any other changes between the early version and the current version besides the esc?
All that aside is the truck safe to run 2s 5000mah lipos,I know damage could occur to the batteries if I run them to long but what about the truck/motor/esc?
Would this do the trick?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Seller-Ho...item2573b976e8

jleblanc 06-04-2013 04:57 AM

First off, CONGRATS! those trucks are solid. For all the stuff you got and the truck, If it's in good shape then I'd say you got a good deal for sure. Does your remote locker work? Those summits are really tough trucks from what I've seen and heard. I personally don't have one but I would love to get one.  Do you have pics of everything bud? Let's see it and all else you got with it?  Also, my buddies say if you do any kind of driving in moist areas or around water or the ocean, Def invest in a stainless screw set for the summit as they seem to rust real fast.<div>
</div><div>Just my 2</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Joe</div>

Zrock 06-04-2013 08:20 AM

nice score.. wish i could find a deal like that around here. If you lights are dimming your packs are not full charged are they may be one their way out. Mine only dim under full throttle when im near the end of my NIMH packs. With my NIMH packs i easily get 30 min of mixed high speed and low speed, low speed only i get 45min plus. this is on 5000 and 3000mah packs. my 5000 only charge to 3000 for some reason.. I have started to order and replace my nimh with lipo's as a few of my packs have failed after a year of abuse