RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Advise needed: HPI, Traxxas or Thunder Tiger 1:8/ 1:10 Monster Truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/11592453-advise-needed-hpi-traxxas-thunder-tiger-1-8-1-10-monster-truck.html)

ganzberg 01-02-2014 02:10 AM

Advise needed: HPI, Traxxas or Thunder Tiger 1:8/ 1:10 Monster Truck

Dear all,
I hope you can give me some advise on which model I should buy.

After a long time absent from the RC Hobby, I bought 2 years ago the Buggy kit Tamiya Really Fighter G-DT-02. Assembling the car went well, however the model has its limitations in both quality and durability. I went through a puddle and apparently the receiver got wet and stopped working.

I plan now to 'upgrade' and I am looking for a model 1:10 or 1:8 model (although some 1:8 models are really big and probably the kids and the model would not fit into the car anymore) It needs to be fast, reliable, ready to run, electric, durable, waterproof, four-wheel drive (brushless). It would be great if the speed could be reduced by a sort of 'training mode' shall the kids try to drive as well. Not sure if such exists though.
I drive in forested areas, sand, beach, rice fields, snow and dirt roads.The truck has to be able to deal with jumps and crashes

I have shortlisted the following models:

1:10 Traxxas RTR Stampede 4x4 VXL
1:10 Traxxas E-Maxx TQI
1:10 HPI Bullet flux MT WI 2.4 GHZ
1:8 Thunder tiger e-MTA 4 WD
1:8 Thunder tiger MT4G3
1:8 HPI Savage flux (, my favorite, but not waterproof and a bit expensive)

It looks as if the Traxxas models are all waterproof. The Bullet flux makes a good impression but I am not sure whether it is a little bit too small if driven on grass and dirt roads

The e-mta looks good too, but only the server and not the receiver appearas to be watertight. Does this make sense anyway? The MT4G3 is apparently not at all watertight.

What are your experiences with the mentioned models? Do they fit to my demands? Are there the other models you can recommend?

Thank you in advance and all the best for 2014!

dee_the_narcotic 01-31-2014 09:28 PM

my suggestion would be to get the stampede 4x4 vxl. since durability is a concern if something were to break all parts are available at almost every lhs and its lighter so if there is a crash its less mass hitting an object. throw a 3s lipo in and the pede halls butt! traxxas speed controls do indeed have a training mode for calmer slower throttle response as well and everything is water proof. get some rpm parts and it will be way more durable. in the end its all personal preference. i have only owned the pede but my buddy has a custom emaxx and its a lot heavier than the pede for sure. it has more power with the castle motor but the top speed is the same. any other opinions? hope i helped.

dclive 02-01-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ganzberg (Post 11698970)
Dear all,
I hope you can give me some advise on which model I should buy.

After a long time absent from the RC Hobby, I bought 2 years ago the Buggy kit Tamiya Really Fighter G-DT-02. Assembling the car went well, however the model has its limitations in both quality and durability. I went through a puddle and apparently the receiver got wet and stopped working.

I plan now to 'upgrade' and I am looking for a model 1:10 or 1:8 model (although some 1:8 models are really big and probably the kids and the model would not fit into the car anymore) It needs to be fast, reliable, ready to run, electric, durable, waterproof, four-wheel drive (brushless). It would be great if the speed could be reduced by a sort of 'training mode' shall the kids try to drive as well. Not sure if such exists though.
I drive in forested areas, sand, beach, rice fields, snow and dirt roads.The truck has to be able to deal with jumps and crashes

I have shortlisted the following models:

1:10 Traxxas RTR Stampede 4x4 VXL
1:10 Traxxas E-Maxx TQI
1:10 HPI Bullet flux MT WI 2.4 GHZ
1:8 Thunder tiger e-MTA 4 WD
1:8 Thunder tiger MT4G3
1:8 HPI Savage flux (, my favorite, but not waterproof and a bit expensive)

It looks as if the Traxxas models are all waterproof. The Bullet flux makes a good impression but I am not sure whether it is a little bit too small if driven on grass and dirt roads

The e-mta looks good too, but only the server and not the receiver appearas to be watertight. Does this make sense anyway? The MT4G3 is apparently not at all watertight.

What are your experiences with the mentioned models? Do they fit to my demands? Are there the other models you can recommend?

Thank you in advance and all the best for 2014!

My Thunder Tiger MT4G3 is water resistant (ESC, Servo -waterproof) - http://www.ttamerica.com/cars/6401-f.html; for the eMTA the ESC is the same (waterproof), servo too, and the rest of the electronics are mounted in plastic casing to isolate from the elements. I wouldn't drive it thru massive puddles due to steel in the chassis rusting (same as with any car, including my Traxxas 'waterproof' cars - trust me, they rust too) - but I wouldn't worry about modest water for most of these brushless models.

I like the MT4 G3. Almost unbreakable. And I've broken lots of parts on my Traxxas models (Bandit, Slash, MERV).... but if I DID break something (ever) on the MT4 G3, I'd have to special order it from the internet; for the Traxxas models, the basic parts (A-arms, etc.) are in stock in most nearby LHS.