RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   NIto Quake...NEED HELP (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1343079-nito-quake-need-help.html)

captinjohn 12-10-2003 08:29 PM

NIto Quake...NEED HELP

Come on guys!!!! I asked 3-5 days ago about help with a Nitro Quake Monster Truck. The engine has so much compression the electric start on it will not do the job. Is there a shaft type of coupler that will hook to a hand held starter of some sort. Or how about a stand you set the truck that engages the starting wheel on the crankshaft? How about some ideas? No we just can,t throw the truck away!! The recoil starter is not too good also. Thanks Capt,n

godlyone 12-10-2003 08:50 PM

RE: NIto Quake...NEED HELP

Have you tried heating the head up with a hair dryer yet?

Always works for me.

Nitro7-inactive 12-10-2003 08:54 PM

i dont know what your talking about with an electric starter on a nitro quake but......too much compression-losen the glow plug till it starts

captinjohn 12-10-2003 09:53 PM

Hey! That hair dryer trick sounds good. We did lossen the glow plug.....it does help. I am reading placing a [8D]shim gasket under head may help also. We do not care about all out performance. Just so it starts and run good. Is 10% Bryons fuel OK? Or do we need more nitro for better starting? Also the engine seems to shift a little and the gears get messed up fast. What is the best fix for that? Thanks guys....it really helps. Capt,njohn Hesperia Mi

godlyone 12-10-2003 10:16 PM

The hair dryer trick is something we have used on our race engines for years. If you are having problems flooding it, simply loosen the glow plug slightly, tip the truck upside down and crank the engine over a couple times to get the excess fuel out.

I would use something in the 20% nitro range myself. I have never actually purchased 10% before, I may have mixed it up a couple times but never intentionally.

If this is a fairly new truck, the sporatic shifting could very well be typical symptoms of break-in. I'm not all that savy with Duratrax break-in procedures but I'm sure they have similar sypmtoms as everyone else.

captinjohn 12-10-2003 10:40 PM

Now we are cooking!!! Getting some help is great. What glow plug or plugs wouil be good for the 10% fuel we have? Last few starts have been better. The problem now is when we hit the throttle....it quits I thought it was too lean, so I richened it up. Still not taking the throttle and quits easy. We will continue till we get this critter running or get a sledge hammer!! Just Kidding. Thanks Captinjohn Ps Wayne I working on it!!!

godlyone 12-10-2003 11:07 PM

I don't know which plug you have in that rig but if it's the stocker, I'd recommend a hotter plug if you are bent on sticking with the 10% nitro. I know Duratrax has them but as for an alternate recommendation I have none, never owned a Duratrax. I have the Duratrax RC game on my cell phone though, don't know if that counts.

captinjohn 12-11-2003 03:44 PM

Well I am not bent on using 10%, that is the only fuel we have on hand. I talked to the fellow at the nearest hobby shop. He said to use 20% car mix because it has less oil in it. The too much oil thing will not help but hinder the running. They sell about 4 brands...now the question is....what is a good brand of car fuel??? Thanks C.J.

metrologist 12-11-2003 05:09 PM

I would recommend any of the following:

Trinity Monster Horsepower
PowerMaster
O’Donnell

Remember to use your after-run oil!