RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   streetsmart (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1486580-streetsmart.html)

nitrobashinauz 02-01-2004 12:52 AM

streetsmart

hi,
just before i start, don't get me wrong, i LOVE the savage, and i was seriosly considering buying one, and i was putting it through the parents approval stage when my mom raised a good point. as the savage .25 has an enormous .25 in it, that would make it too loud for me to drive it from my garage onto the street. and mum said she didn't want to drive me around to drive my truck. so i am thinking, are there any trucks with a smaller engine (.15) that come anywhere close to a savage??? i am not racing, just bashing

nitroguy123 02-01-2004 01:13 AM

RE: streetsmart

Sound doesnt vary much from .25 to the smaller blocks. If you already have a nitro you should expect about the same sound level as the one you already have. If it does end up being to loud they have pipes you can buy to make it quieter. But im pretty sure it wont be much louder(if at all) then the one u have now

nitrobashinauz 02-01-2004 01:29 AM

i have a .15 in my car and my brother has a .11 and there is a notable difference. what is the rubber tubing on the end of exhaust pipes for? would this affect sound?

nitroguy123 02-01-2004 01:38 AM

I used to have the exhaust stinger (the rubber tubing) on my car. Its supposed to help keep the crud from the exhaust getting all over the truck. But i took it off because it seemed to make car louder and didnt help deflect the residue from the pipe away from the truck. It gave it a more high pitched sound. I dont know if its the same for all pipes but try taking the stinger off the exhaust and see what kind of sound it makes.

nitrobashinauz 02-01-2004 01:47 AM

the stinger is on the .11 monster truck

mecky33 02-01-2004 09:09 AM

What are you looking for to make it comperable to a Savage? The savage is a large truck that needs a big block. I would recommend the Cen Fun Factor MT2. Its durable, and not that loud. You can also put a .18 in it if you want to.

In2JeepN 02-01-2004 09:15 AM

All nitro's that I have seen, regardless of engine size, are about the same 'volume' I guess u could say :) other than the Savage SS that is - the big empty ribbed pipe (y'know, that thing that you can LOOK RIGHT THROUGH!) doesnt do much at all for muffling. Pretty much any nitro is gonna be too loud to be driving around late at night, but in the day most people seem to enjoy watching actually, rather than being annoyed by it. If it's really a concern get an electric like the TXT or the Emaxx.

jefx 02-01-2004 01:53 PM

I have a rubber exhaust deflector on the end of my thrust mac's pipe, and it does make it a little quieter, but not by much. Nitro is nitro, it's noisy. Certain engine/pipe combos are louder then others but only by a few dbs.
If you lived next to an airport, would you complain that the 757 is louder then the 747? No. Noise is noise, and although one may be slightly louder then the other, you'll hear it just the same.

nitrobashinauz 02-01-2004 04:09 PM

yea, thanks for the advice guys,
its not like the savage is louder than a lawnmower anyway,
and people are allowed to use them,
i think i'll still go with the savage