RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   mgt 4 wheel steering? 3-speed? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1491133-mgt-4-wheel-steering-3-speed.html)

ericrcpilot 02-02-2004 06:02 PM

mgt 4 wheel steering? 3-speed?

Just purchased an mgt and it is an awesome truck. I was wondering if anyone has seen or done, or knows if it would be possible to convert it to 4 wheel steering? I was looking at mine and it seems like it would not be to difficult for the right person to do this. I was also wondering if anybody knew if there was a 3 speed available for this truck.

sovietspyguy 02-02-2004 09:59 PM

RE: mgt 4 wheel steering? 3-speed?

The MGT is awesome, I agree:D. As far as the four-wheel steering, since the front and rear suspension arms and parts are exactly the same (good move on AE's part) I don't see any problem with it except getting two servos to work on one channel (though I've heard they sell those splitter things so it may be very easy). The other obstacle would be where to mount the servo and the steering system (bellcranks and such).

As far as the three speed, I have not seen or heard of one and don't know how easy this would be considering that the gears in this transmission are a bit more complex than the typical double clutch/spur gear setup.

Another question...why would you want four wheel steering? Since you asked about a 3-speed I'm assuming that you aren't doing pure rock-crawling and such and I don't see why else you'd need a four-wheel steering system. Granted I don't know much about the subject but it seems like it would have negative impact on high speed handling. If it worked very well it seems that more companies would make 4 wheel steering systems.

Anyways I won't argue on those aspects, if you want to try 4 wheel steering, by all means do so, as it seems it'd be easier on this truck than most.

ericrcpilot 02-03-2004 08:05 PM

I have seen the t-maxx with 4 wheel steering and a 3 speed tranny. It looked and handled awesome with the 4 wheel steering. I would probably not have both options on the same truck. As far as controlling the rear steering, I would think a JR matchbox would work. You would also be able to limit the amount of steering the rear wheels have with it. I think these would be cool options for this truck. HOW ABOUT A .46??

sovietspyguy 02-03-2004 08:15 PM

A .46 shouldn't be any problem as long as it'll fit. AE says that the truck should be able to handle a .50 stock, and after looking at the internals and the huge CVDs I believe it.

ericrcpilot 02-03-2004 08:20 PM

Know where I can get one? (a .46)

sovietspyguy 02-03-2004 08:35 PM

do a search on google. Type .46+RC+engine or something. Most online hobby stores will have engines so you can browse through there.

ericrcpilot 02-03-2004 09:27 PM

Still can't find a 46.

High_on_Nitro 02-08-2004 12:33 AM

I think the only manufacturer I know that has one for an Eigth scale MT is CEN for the Genesis. The other is the Truckzilla conversion for the Savage. Hope this helps.