RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Is the Associated MGT Overpriced?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1493109-associated-mgt-overpriced.html)

Deandome 02-03-2004 12:21 PM

Is the Associated MGT Overpriced??

Just curious, what makes this truck worth $80-90 more than the Savage, T-Maxx or Mammoth??

It's not any faster (and SLOWER than the Mammoth!), it isn't hopped up all that much and it doesn't seem to get a lot of ink on this forum, indicating that it isn't selling all that great.

Yes, it has metal cvds, but I'd only give that $20-30 worth of "hopup-credit" when worked into a factory model.

Any thoughts?

Dean

Nitroaddict 02-03-2004 12:26 PM

RE: Is the Associated MGT Overpriced??

actually - CVDs plus Reverse alone would equal the extra $$$

You could go the same route and say why is the Ofna Titan worth 549.00?

Element 02-03-2004 01:25 PM

I thought it was overpriced too.

Until I saw at my lhs.It is huge! far bigger tan the 1/8 buggy's. I was surprised the only thing I did not like about it was the fake piggy back shocks. They could have taken those off and possibly cut the price a couple of bucks.

ThermalRD 02-03-2004 01:28 PM

Any thoughts?? Ya, just like Nitro said. The cvd's and reverse are worth well over the difference in price. As for the statement about the truck not selling all that great. Well...I'll tell you this. I asked hardcore racing the other day in e-mail why the savage shock towers havent come out. I also asked them if the rumor about them making an MGT chassis is true. Well, heres the response...

Matt,

=) Yep we are currently making the chassis and shock towers for the MGT. I just got done building one for the Extreme RC car magazine. I anodized it blue and keep some of it silver. IT IS SWEET!!! They are going to release prices and the parts I think sometime next week or this week. . I will see if I can send you a pic of the second MGT I am building right now. I will let you know as soon as I can. They do feel really bad for placing the Savage on this side, but there is just a huge response from the MGT. Shock towers are what they will be making for the Savage next. Take it easy and I will let you know when they release more parts.

Thank you,

Jen

Hardcore Racing Sales Representative

888-928-RACE

661-294-5032

661-294-0770 Fax

So, to put it plain and simple. The MGT is selling real well. There are some facts that people are gonna have to remember. Associated, and Losi are BIG players in this game. With their following of fans, and their race knowledge. You can bet that AE will push the MGT to the top, and Losi will be right next to them.

Matt

popa71 02-03-2004 02:27 PM

The one thing I dont like about the MGT is the Engine size. I am very sure if Thunder tiger made a .26 it would have been in the MGT. I think its a little overpriced but if it came with a .26 and threaded shocks instead of those cheap piggybacks it would have been priced right. Im sure the next edition will include these things.

Dale Gribble 02-03-2004 03:05 PM

I really want one... I have one in my sights... Just a matter of a few months... I could always sell the Maxx/Savage and get one, but where is the fun in that? Just save up and get one...

caseyddr 02-03-2004 06:24 PM

All i hear at the shop is that these are over priced. We sell a few, but not near as many as the Savage or Tmaxx. But maybe thats becuase I push the savage over the MGT :) Itsm ore of a personal preference, when you get into the 500$ range, you start to push the limits of ppl's wallets wanting to be in a fun hobby. No new person wants to drop 500 bones on jus a truck, then have to buy fuel and other small accessories to go up to 550-600$.

cid 02-03-2004 06:44 PM

I,m supprized no one has mentioned the fact that it has the option of pull start or roto start thats worth 25.00 dollars by it self. as far as it having a smaller engine goes I race my buddy who has a savage 25 and we cant see where the savage is any faster. the only thing I dont like is the crappy plastic shocks and the weak lower a frames.but I still fill it was well worth the money

ThermalRD 02-03-2004 07:47 PM

You work at a hobby shop casey? Which one?

Matt

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

All i hear at the shop is that these are over priced. We sell a few, but not near as many as the Savage or Tmaxx. But maybe thats becuase I push the savage over the MGT :) Itsm ore of a personal preference, when you get into the 500$ range, you start to push the limits of ppl's wallets wanting to be in a fun hobby. No new person wants to drop 500 bones on jus a truck, then have to buy fuel and other small accessories to go up to 550-600$.

ericrcpilot 02-03-2004 08:12 PM

I think between the cvd's, the reverse, and the size of the MGT, it is not overpriced. Somebody in my lhs has a Savage with the Truckzilla option, and it is just a touch larger than the MGT and about $250 more!!

sovietspyguy 02-03-2004 08:27 PM

I think everyone needs to get over the fake piggyback shocks. Yes they look dumb but if you base your decision on which truck to buy on that, then frankly you're an idiot.

The MGT may be 80 dollars more, but that's not really enough to say it's getting into the range where people would say it's too much to spend on a hobby. After spending several times that fixing broken parts it becomes irrelevant. The MGT is supposed to be able to handle a .50 STOCK. It has huge CVDs and a drivetrain that is all steel. It already comes with four spider gears in the diffs (an upgrade for the savage). It's incredibly easy to work on, has an enormously powerful disc brake, and doesn't need any servo upgrades unless you really want them. The radio it comes with is also better than most, and the reverse on it is smooth and works perfectly. Some people also seem to be hung up on numbers. Yes, the engine is a .21, but it is by no means slow. It's very powerful, and still gets it up to a pretty good clip (driving from inside a real car, we clocked it at around 35-40). Most people end up replacing the engine anyway, so whenever that time comes, just stick a better engine in it and it'll be totally unstoppable. The truck is also huge, and durable as hell. After many flips and crashes (flipped and rolled 30 feet on the pavement at full speed, and landed in a 6 inch deep puddle of water) the only thing I've broken is the front bumper, which is cracked a little bit. I drove in pretty heavy rain for one hour and there was not a thing wrong with it. It comes with one of the best air filters on any MT, the dual-start, and the best primer I've ever seen. This truck will start the first time, every time. I had no problem starting the engine in 20 degree weather. It's never stalled, and can run upside down. In addition it comes with huge adjustable turnbuckles. The front and rear suspension arms,and steering knuckles are the same, meaning easier to get parts, and don't have to sit there with 3 spare front swingarms and a broken rear one. In addition, it comes with the best and most rigid chassis on any MT yet.

If you think that all of that isn't worth an extra 80 dollars...well...I don't know what to say.

ericrcpilot 02-03-2004 08:33 PM

AMEN

caseyddr 02-03-2004 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

You work at a hobby shop casey? Which one?

Matt

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

Hobbytown USA :P I really wish you'd get that grudge off me! You act like I know nothing about anything heh! Anyways I was jus stating what I see at the store. It may be a tad more expensive than a smaller hobbyshop, but in the past year I've noticed that hobbytown has lowered there prices considerably.

Now somebody mentioned the Truckzilla, here is how I see the numbers from prices.

Savage SS + Truckzilla = 269 + 329 = 598$

MGT = 459$

all with free shipping. These are from ultimatehobbies.com, so the TZ, which IMO Is a far superior truck than the MGT costs 150 more, not 250$ :P THen that 150$ you get all your money back when you sell off the engine, chassis plates, pipe, tires from the SS. Do your research if you wanna compare to trucks :D

sovietspyguy 02-03-2004 09:17 PM

Of course you think it's a superior truck. You think everything is a superior truck. Why? Who knows. I suppose because your one hobbyshop sells more Savages than MGTs, it must be indicative that the MGT sucks. And don't forget to add a radio to that price tag. It's ironic to see you say that after saying this:

" Itsm ore of a personal preference, when you get into the 500$ range, you start to push the limits of ppl's wallets wanting to be in a fun hobby. No new person wants to drop 500 bones on jus a truck, then have to buy fuel and other small accessories to go up to 550-600$. "

I don't know if anyone would also be willing to double their fuel expenses in that case.

The fact remains that according to everything I've seen thus far, you have yet to drive or see driven an MGT. The Savage sells more and so does the T-maxx. They've also been out for far longer. Kids are also idiots. Lots of kids/teens are into this hobby, and they won't do 3 weeks of research, they'll go to the hobbyshop, see the flashy colors and "45 MPH+!!!!!" and buy the T-maxx. They also are too impatient to wait till the MGT ships if it's backordered. Everyone here who has an MGT says it's a great truck and the best so far, I don't know what your problem with it is.

ericrcpilot 02-03-2004 09:22 PM

I did do my research. Your quote is for the SS which does not have a radio!! Add the radio and you are spending more than $250 more.

caseyddr 02-03-2004 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: sovietspyguy

Of course you think it's a superior truck. You think everything is a superior truck. Why? Who knows. I suppose because your one hobbyshop sells more Savages than MGTs, it must be indicative that the MGT sucks. And don't forget to add a radio to that price tag. It's ironic to see you say that after saying this:

" Itsm ore of a personal preference, when you get into the 500$ range, you start to push the limits of ppl's wallets wanting to be in a fun hobby. No new person wants to drop 500 bones on jus a truck, then have to buy fuel and other small accessories to go up to 550-600$. "

I don't know if anyone would also be willing to double their fuel expenses in that case.

The fact remains that according to everything I've seen thus far, you have yet to drive or see driven an MGT. The Savage sells more and so does the T-maxx. They've also been out for far longer. Kids are also idiots. Lots of kids/teens are into this hobby, and they won't do 3 weeks of research, they'll go to the hobbyshop, see the flashy colors and "45 MPH+!!!!!" and buy the T-maxx. They also are too impatient to wait till the MGT ships if it's backordered. Everyone here who has an MGT says it's a great truck and the best so far, I don't know what your problem with it is.
My mistake on the radio, make it a 200$ difference and buy the Savage 25 instead then part it out. Either way, you are a stereotypical poster about hobbyshops. "Oh they push this over that blablabla." Yes, I do give them my personal opinions on what I like, and if they ask me between the Tmaxx or MGT, I say MGT. They ask me Savage or MGT, I pick Savage. As for thinking everything is the best truck? How idiotic are you? The TMaxx is HORRIBLE. God, I try to stop every customer that comes in asking me about it not to get it, ITS CALLED PREFERENCE. The other guys there like the Tmaxx. I rather sell a 1/8th scale Hot Bodies Lightning RTR for 329.99 than any MT even though they are much cheaper. Know why? ITS BECAUSE IT IS WHAT I PREFER. I've owned just about every single class out there except 1/8th scale on-road and 1/5th scale, so I do have experience with most of these vehicles. You go ahead and waste your money on a overpriced class that is IMO (NOTE THE IMO) a fad that is about to wear out. Me, I'll go race my 1/8th scales when spring comes in a class that is taken serious.

ericrcpilot 02-03-2004 10:15 PM

ok $200. Back to the basics. I don't think it is overpriced for what you get. Just my opinion. :eek:

sovietspyguy 02-03-2004 10:18 PM

All I can say is two things:

Yes, the stereotype is right. If a hobby shop pushes one thing over another to a newcomer to the hobby who doesn't know better, they'll go with the salesperson.

How idiotic am I? Do you not remember saying that you would rather get ANYTHING other than the MGT? Even a T-maxx. You did say that.

Everyone knows you have some kinda grudge against the MGT.

Nitroaddict 02-03-2004 11:07 PM

Ok guys. Everyone take a time out and go cool down. Stop fighting about toy cars. Yes, that is what they are, toy cars. Regardless of what anyone thinks, they have a right to their own opinion. There will be no more warnings on this subject.

STOP BICKERING IN THE FORUMS!!!!

monsterGT 02-03-2004 11:47 PM

i think the mgt is a little over priced , butt its worth it

monsterGT 02-03-2004 11:50 PM

nitro addict what do u think is the best MT

sovietspyguy 02-04-2004 12:22 AM

"get the tmaxx (uck i actually recommended it) over the MGT, the MGT Is an overpriced paperweight. "

Just to reiterate for casey.

That's the last of it, nitro.

GreekTTCharlie 02-04-2004 12:43 AM

Whoever doesn't have, or has never driven or worked on an MGT, you can't comment. Well I guess you can, but I don't want to hear it.

It's an AWESOME truck. I got mine a few weeks ago, broke it in in 20 degree weather w/no problems, drove it like a b@stard through the snow, mud, around the lot where my parents are building their house, over bumps, curbs, grass, logs, cinder blocks, bricks, pvc piping, over small to medium jumps, in the woods, on the street, fast, slow, uphill, downhill, and anywhere else I could find.

My brother got a Savage 25 a week after I got mine.

I like the MGT better. They're both good, but my personal preference dictates that I like the Monster GT more than the Savage. Niether myself or my brother have dialed our trucks in yet...but so far, the MGT is faster.

Anyway... along with everything else that has been said (most noteably SOVIETSPYGUY, who seems to have some sense), the Monster GT is DEFINITELY "worth" the extra money over other trucks mentioned. It's just facts guys, add up the features that the MGT has stock, and calculate the price it would cost to upgrade another truck to that level... This post is really actually pretty worthless.

There IS such thing as RESEARCH.

Bottom line. If you take a T-Maxx, Savage, or Mammoth and give either one all of the features that the MGT comes with, and add up what it would cost, take that little number, and if it's an amount equal or greater than the difference in price between the MGT and the Truck of Your Choice, then the MGT is worth the extra money.

And if you don't understand that, there's always English 101 and Math class.

caseyddr 02-04-2004 03:05 AM

Opinions change, and noting to myself that there are 10 tmaxx's in the back of our shop waiting for repair compared to 1 savage, I had to change my mind. But I've had no problem selling a Savage over a MGT, specially with the truckzilla sitting right next to it.

Toycar 02-04-2004 05:18 AM

Overpriced? i think it's fair. Around my neck of the woods the Savage25 sells for the same price as the MGT. The Mgt gives you more driveline hopups but the savage is more durable in my books. I take both out with me and sometimes both come back broken but the MGT is by far more busted up and if only one breaks it's the MGT. I took both to a BMX track one saturday the MGT broke both upper and lower left rear control arms from a minor 4 foot jump and the savage a broken gas tank after a 12ft drop on the back bumper. Which is stronger? For racing if I did race I'd take the MGT over the savage anyday but I'd be fixing it alot more but it is easier to work on. The savage runs all the original plastic and the MGT has aluminum swingarms, shocktowers, and body posts. I will replace those pieces with RPM parts when they become available. Hub carriers and bearings(bearings get gummed up fast, savage last along time between cleaning) are T-maxx size. I'm in the process of puttng RPM upgrade on.

After all the upgrading I did on the Savage21, it's way better than the S25, I thought when I saw the MGT I wouldn't have to spend all that $ getting the truck up to snuff it's already done for me (except engine,clutch,radio,steering servo & bell cranks). However, I didn't count on it breaking so easily and frequently. The $ was spent on hopups for the savage to get to run the way I like and the $ to repair/prevent brakage on the MGT. My conclusion is the price at my lhs is perfect same for either. I wouldn't pay more for a MGT.

Both are running Wasp.26, MX-3, Hitec 945 for steering, 5 2100 AA RX pack, motorsavers, GH pipe on savage, HB pipe on MGT, 3 Al clutch on MGT, Turbo sliding clutch on savage, 4 spider mod on savage with 6 HB CVD, etc.

I like both and plan on keeping both. I'm finished moding the Savage but not the MGT. I've had the savage for 8 months and the MGT for 3 months