RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   tmaxx not shifting, gunna throw away... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1715089-tmaxx-not-shifting-gunna-throw-away.html)

yrral 04-12-2004 08:47 AM

tmaxx not shifting, gunna throw away...

Hello,

well, now that it's spring, it's time to fire up the truck. Only problem is that it doesn't shift. I haven't recently taken out the truck and driven it (and I only know that it doesn't shift from last summer). I know that letting it sit over winter isn't going to solve the problem.

so, my question is, can someone give me a list of things to check? I pretty much did them all last year, but maybe I missed something.

I almost got my engine tuned well. I have the new 2.5 engine in the OLD T-maxx body/chassis.

Thanks,
Larry

R/C Madman 04-12-2004 08:56 AM

RE: tmaxx not shifting, gunna throw away...

Take the tranny out and open it up and inspect it.Look for broken parts like gears missing teeth and so on. I have smoked a few of these tranny's and it was the forward output gear and top shaft that went out on it.

yrral 04-12-2004 11:59 AM

I did that not too long ago. that's what traxxas told me to do. so I opened it up and made sure all the gear's teeth were there and made sure all the gears were loose. they were.

thanks,
Larry

anything else I should check?

nd2xlr8 04-12-2004 12:05 PM

Have you checked to see if your slipper clutch was thight enought? I had a similar problem a while back and that was my problem.

yrral 04-12-2004 01:12 PM

that might be it. but the only thing is, that would keep the truck from moving, if it isn't working right?

the truck does move, but it just doesn't shift. The guy at my LHS said that I might be stuck in one of the 2 gears, I just don't know which one it is. but the truck does move.

thanks,
larry

mrjason82 04-12-2004 03:37 PM

you could also check the centrifugal switch in the tranny that catches and engages the second gear when it spins fast enough. That was a problem with my dad's truck and I had to replace it because it couldn't open freely.

nd2xlr8 04-12-2004 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: yrral

that might be it. but the only thing is, that would keep the truck from moving, if it isn't working right?

It might not move. In my case it was tight enough to move the truck along, just wouldn't let the rpm's build up enough to shift the tranny. The motor was producing the rpm's, the slipper clutch was slipping at the peak of the load and not letting the tranny shift.

I don't know if that makes any since, but if you tighten it up and it doesn't help then it's something else. just sounds similar to what I had.

yrral 04-12-2004 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mrjason82

you could also check the centrifugal switch in the tranny that catches and engages the second gear when it spins fast enough. That was a problem with my dad's truck and I had to replace it because it couldn't open freely.
how might I check this? Open the tranny...and then where do I look?

and nd2xlr8, how would I fix that?

thanks everyone,
Larry

nd2xlr8 04-12-2004 07:07 PM

Just tighten up the nut that holds the spur gear on. and then back it of 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

golfcartracerx 04-12-2004 08:44 PM

Adjust the shift points on the tranny[&:]

yrral 04-13-2004 02:32 PM

ok, thanks nd2xlr8. will try this weekend.

golfcartracerx, i adjusted it in all the positions from all the way in to all the way out, no good. but I will try again.

thanks,
Larry

chase044 04-13-2004 03:33 PM

mine was doing the opisit. it was shifting as soon as it started moving so i took that little rubber thing of looked for the allen thats in there and tightened it and it fixed it. it shifs right at thr right time, with no problems exept that now it some times stays in 2nd gear. if i go then let of the gas then let the engine slow it down it then kicks into first but if i use the brake it stays in 2nd. so i thought maybe my bearing for my clutch are bad. would that make it not shift back into 1st.
also if your going to through it away could you give me some parts off of it. i would pay for them of coures

Booyah 04-13-2004 03:49 PM

Take a look at the troubleshooting chart! It may help you out. Click [link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/troubleshooting/nitro/tmaxx/trx_trouble_tmaxx_e14.htm]ME[/link]

Mine started acting up alot, so I just bought a new 2-speed gearset (the whole unit) gives you everything new and it started shifting like butter:D It only cost like 20-25 bucks

ORIGINAL: yrral

ok, thanks nd2xlr8. will try this weekend.

golfcartracerx, i adjusted it in all the positions from all the way in to all the way out, no good. but I will try again.

thanks,
Larry

yrral 04-13-2004 04:52 PM

Opp. I think I found the solution.

Note: The transmission may not shift if the adjustment screw is turned too far in (locked in first gear), or too far out (locked in second gear). If the truck has quick acceleration and does not appear to shift, the transmission is never reaching the shifting point. The shift point needs to be lowered by turning the adjustment screw counterclockwise. If the truck has poor acceleration but very high top speed, the transmission is shifting into second gear almost instantly. The shift point needs to be raised by turning the adjustment screw clockwise.
but then again, that might not be it, b/c I did turn the screw from all the way in to out and everywhere in between. will try though.

Thanks guys,
Larry

skliffy 04-13-2004 06:53 PM

i have the same prob...common huh lol
i have tried everything even the selector screw under the rubber plug,moving it each time 1/8 turn took me bloody agesbut if u've tried that already if i were u id tighten the shaft screw propa tight so u dont undo it by mistakeif u do u'l swear lol.
i think il get a new steel set an start frm scratch.
hey booya can i ask were u got da gear set from an do u kno if they do steel or ally ones?
cheerz

skliffy

golfcartracerx 04-13-2004 07:00 PM

When I had my TMAXX I just pulled the tranny apart and made it a 1 speed and took out the reverse, but I was also using it to run with buggys also.[8D]

yrral 04-13-2004 08:33 PM

well, I know i want to take out the reverse, sometime when money can cover it...lol
is there anyway to take out the reverse without having to buy that FOC?

well, I guess I'll just try it all again.

thanks,
larry

rc_monster 04-14-2004 01:00 AM

I just got a new 2.5 maxx and Im having the same prob with my tranny, it wont shift I think it is stuck in second gear.....you would think by now with all these problems traxxas would have done something to fix it
Donavan

yrral 04-14-2004 02:16 PM

HAHA, yeah, right.

well, good luck towards you and your truck. hopefully we will both get ours out of the gears we're stuck in.

Later,
Larry

skliffy 04-14-2004 02:29 PM

i wonder how compatible the revo elect tranny is?
that could b worth a try if ne spares r about
bit of a wait just to c tho
lol

golfcartracerx 04-15-2004 02:28 PM

If you have time and patience I would rebuild the entire tranny[:o] and stay away from Traxxas until they get there stuff straight. Research and research some more. I got rid of my Tmaxx and bought the MGT. Its extremely easy to tear down for a cleaning or repair[8D]