RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Twin Titan owners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1787941-twin-titan-owners.html)

pgw23 05-05-2004 06:26 AM

Twin Titan owners

[8D]Thought I would start a thread for titan owners to share there ideas and info without bashing other or being bashed.
Just bought one after owning several other trucks and I would like any info on spare parts to keep on hand.
Thanks

Pushrod02 05-05-2004 08:06 AM

RE: Twin Titan owners

Don't know what parts to tell you to keep on hand but guess I'll find out. Got a chance to drive one last weekend and WOW, these things are fast! Couldn't stand it, came home and ordered one, be here tomorrow :D. Best price I could find was here, http://www.pyramidhobbies.com/index.html

Sandman2869 05-05-2004 09:59 AM

I don't have a twin Titan and I most likely won't, but only because my wife would kill me....

I just wanted to let you know I found it a little cheaper at
[link=http://www.larrysperformancercs.com]Larry's Performance Rcs[/link]

it's only ten bucks cheaper I know, but hey, ten bucks is ten bucks :)
And no, I don't work for them (hmmm, there's a thought, employee discount haha), I just really like the guys there, always willing to spend as much time as ya need with you and usually they have a pretty good stock level (at least for the stuff I have needed so far).

Good luck guys (and gals), I hope to see one in action some day.

hansdava 05-05-2004 11:26 AM

how fast is it?.......

pgw23 05-05-2004 10:28 PM

Yeh, got mine at Larrys...awsome store and service.[8D]
Dont know how fast it is yet because I had a few problems from the factory assembly.
Both clutch bells were to tight which caused several things to happen.
both clutches were toasted within the first two tanks of gas.
The small bearings in the clutch bells overheated and need to be replaced.
I replaced the clutches with some XTM sliding units.
Got the bearings today, but ran out of time to put them in.

The guys at Larrys told me to check the drive cups for lack of lock tite and I noticed today that one was loose.

So, I hope to get this beast checked over and fully broke in by sunday.
Cant wait to see if it can still wheelie with the monster Kongs on it!:D
I was impressed with the stock steering servo it turned great even with the Kongs, but the stock radio gear was replaced with a JR fm unit from my other truck.

hansdava 05-05-2004 10:32 PM

you sure it is fast enough to beat mammoth.......

pgw23 05-06-2004 06:16 AM

Dont realy care if its not as fast as a mammoth. My son has a Mamoth with a 24.7 pro engine and it is a beast of a truck, so I am sure that we will race some day and find out. [8D]

I almost bought a Mamoth but I liked the looks and power of the Titan and the sound of the twins purring in harmony is awsome. The drive train appears to be quite heave duty.

With the Kongs on it the Titan weighs in at a wopping 16lbs as compaired to the 11lbs of the Mamoth. If these tires effect performance too much I will save them for winter bashing.:D

My son and I are pondering putting a secong 24.7 pro engine on the Mamoth, it has the room for it and would kick butt...we will see.:)

The Boss 05-06-2004 07:19 AM

Hi, one of the tips I got is to do with the body mounts on this 15 pound monster which will help them flex a bit more taking more stress off of the shock towers.

http://forums.nitroextreme.com/index...c&topicID=1205

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru.../titan_011.jpg

hansdava 05-06-2004 09:00 AM

sounds good that father and son got into the same hobby.................

Pushrod02 05-06-2004 09:52 AM

Don't really know just how fast it is but I'll find out after it's broke in. I live next door to a cop so I'll get him to use his radar on it one of these days :eek:

Gator8, good tip on extending the body mounts. I have a HPI body setting here waiting for the FedEx driver to ring the door bell. Should be today :D.

Will it beat a Mammoth? I may never know, I don't anyone that owns one...

hansdava 05-06-2004 09:57 AM

let us know when you know...

helipilot225 05-06-2004 08:12 PM

i just got a titan twin im new atthis so bear with me when i start it with the wheels off the ground it fires rightup and when i set it down it shuts off if im not full or half bore it shut off can anybody help?

pgw23 05-06-2004 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: helipilot225

i just got a titan twin im new atthis so bear with me when i start it with the wheels off the ground it fires rightup and when i set it down it shuts off if im not full or half bore it shut off can anybody help?
One of two things is happining.
1. Your engine(s) are racing and not idleing. Idle it down byturning your idle screw (the one with the spring) counter clockwise a small amount. if this dont slow it down check the settings in your manual.

2. You clutch bell is to tight. With engine off and wheels off the ground, try turning it with your finger. It should turn fairly easy. See if your flywheel (the silver disc between the bell and the engine) turns with it, it shouldnt be. If it is then I would take your truck in to place of purchase and have them check it out. It is critical that this is corect.

Hope this helps:D

helipilot225 05-07-2004 05:59 AM

thanks i just tried to turn it and the flywheel is turning with it any ideas?

pgw23 05-07-2004 06:08 AM

Got some problems sorted out today. Finished break in and some tuning. The kongs had to go.. they will need ballancing to work well.
The shocks look HD on the truck but they are waaaay too soft. Will try some 50 weight oil in them on saturday. If that dont correct things I will need thicker springs. The performance of the drive train is exsplosive! Cant say on anything else untill suspension travel is firmed up.

Pushrod02 05-07-2004 09:12 AM

My Twin arrived last night as promised by Sid and Terry at Pyramid Hobbies. These are great guys to deal with and I'll definitely give them a shout next time I need something.

It arrived unscathed, even the dock help couldn't damage it ;). Now the only problem is, the people that write me paychecks think I should work for it. Will check the clutches and try and get it rolling sometime this weekend.

hansdava 05-07-2004 10:21 AM

how fast is it?.........

Pushrod02 05-07-2004 10:42 AM

I haven't fired mine up yet. It will be this weekend before I have time [:o]

hansdava 05-07-2004 10:56 AM

ok, but dont forget to tell us how fas it goes......

pgw23 05-08-2004 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: helipilot225

thanks i just tried to turn it and the flywheel is turning with it any ideas?
Yes,the clutchbell Is too tight more than likely.
1. Get a bottle of blue locktite (a must for RCing).
2.Then Remove each engine by removing the four bolts on the bottom of the chassis that go into the motor mounts.
3. Loosen the set screw that holds the muffler to the bent metal support rod and slide it off the rod.
4. Remove the gas line from the engine and pipe.
5. Gently twist off the piviot ball attaching the throttle linkage to your carbwith a pair of n.n. pliers.

Now, you should have a motor in your hand.
Try spinning the clutch bell with your finger it should spin freely for a long time,
If it does its fine. If its tight there is a bolt in the end of the clutch bell.
Remove this bolt and be carefull not to let the clutchbell slide off.
Put a drop of lock tite on the bolt and put it back in, but dont tighten it yet.
Spin the bell, it should spin freely. if it doesnt the take it in to whare you bought it and have them check it out. If it spins freely then tighten down this bolt as much as possable while allowing the bell to still spinas free as possable.
Reassemble useing lock tite on all your bolts! Hopefully all will be good now make SURE your two set of gears contact the transmission gears firmly but without binding!
I would look over your truck after each tank or two of gas for the first 6 tanks for loose parts.
You WILL have something(s) come loose! I have broken in about 6 different kits and you have to do this, it will happen.

pgw23 05-08-2004 12:55 AM

I hope to get my speed meter hooked up on mine this weekend.
The shocks are way to soft for high speed running, it gets loose in the front end.
I hope to correct this with some 50 weight shock oil and heaver springs if needed.
This truck should do 45 to 55 mph:)
I will post results.

hansdava 05-08-2004 10:10 PM

ok.

gregmax 05-09-2004 08:02 AM

There is a good forum for info on the Titan/Titan Twin,

http://www.titanforums.com/index.php.

The Titan Twin needs heavier springs to get it to handle better, try some Trinity XX-TRA Heavy (Dark Blue) springs TK5133.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...33&FVPROFIL=++

You will need 2 set's for the Titan. Will also need thicker shock oil.

If using the standard tyres firmer inserts seem to help as well.

hansdava 05-09-2004 09:51 PM

?..........

pgw23 05-10-2004 12:18 AM

Any one know who sells the tire balancer for the monster truck tires?[:o]
At higher speeds i get too much vibration...too hard to control.

Also, cant seem to get it to wheelie. I tried to tighten the slipper, but cant go any further with out the spring coming to close to the trans gear above it. Should I just lock it out with the included pin?

Thanks[sm=frown.gif]