RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Cen MT2 Newby Breakin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1788099-cen-mt2-newby-breakin.html)

smaerd58 05-05-2004 08:05 AM

Cen MT2 Newby Breakin

Well I am 38 and I feel like a kid again.Thanks to all here for recommending this truck it hauls ass.The only complaint is the Radio kind of cheap but OK for a newby getting started,Break in was a little tough here on the east coast it is little colder about 60 deg. I thought I would never get it started.Followed the directions and ran about 6 tanks at low speed and then finally let her go wow it flies!!!Thanks to mecky33 for support before buying.Now I need some glow plugs are there other manufacturers that carry these plugs?What brands and can you buy them in bulk ebay etc. to save some money?And what bodies fit these?Any other answerer's about what to buy welcome.Thanks to everyone,smaerd58 http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/w/super.gif

mecky33 05-05-2004 10:16 AM

RE: Cen MT2 Newby Breakin

Smaerd58, you are welcome for the pre-purchase help. Now for your questions, any cold short plug will work. And any body that fits a T-maxx will fit the MT2. The body on my MT2 is a proline F350 body, its a little bit long but makes the truck look a little more realistic. I am glad to hear that your break in went well, just a tip for starting it. Listen to the engine, if its sounds kinda light when you pull it, richen it up a little bit. If it sounds kinda full and heavy, lean it out a little bit. If its sounds kinda tinny then its trying to start, turn the HSN a tiny bit rich and see if it sounds more like its going to start, if it sounds more tinny then richen it up a little more. If it starts sounding full and heavy again, lean it out and keep trying. Trying to start the engine is a lot about listening and learning what your engine sounds like when its close to starting. It may also help you if you lean the engine out half a turn the richen it back up as your temps start coming up. Let me know if you have more questions, I will be more than happy to help you out.

smaerd58 05-05-2004 03:35 PM

Mecky33 your truck looks great.This thing really sucks nitro down I am running damn near wide open and my temps are only around 175-225 with plenty off smoke trail.The other thing is that getting the body off and on with the tight body clips to fill and start up is a real pain in the ass.I tried cutting out the back window because thats what they did on a review but my glow heater won't fit straight in and I can't get a pull on the t -handle.As for tunning I went with fairly stock settings and you have to keep a little tension on the controller to keep it from stalling out.As for sounds I am trying to listen it sounds like a little rattling when sitting still I can't seem to figure that one out being new.I guess I will learn with more experience.smaerd58

Sweetshoes90210 05-05-2004 03:49 PM

Yea, I cut a hole in my MT-2 and I couldnt fit my starter in there either....

If you need any help on the truck man, Just ask.

bonified5 05-05-2004 04:02 PM

Cut out the front wind shield as well. I even cut little circular holes on the side windoms to help it cool better. If you cut a little extra above the cooling head you will be able to put the glow starter in.

smaerd58 05-05-2004 09:36 PM

I thought about cutting out the front window also but I noticed that the truck was getting pretty dirty and dusty even with it not cut out. I think I am going to leave the front alone to keep down on grass & dirt from getting in from bashing around my back yard.Has anyone tried putting in a larger tank for longer runs?And if so which one?What is the numer of plugs you guys go through? I picked up 4 more, should I get more?smaerd58

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/deepsleep.gif

bolegs 05-05-2004 10:31 PM

Hey smaerd58, this is what I did to be able to reach the pull start and get the glow heater to work with the body on.
Modify the body mounts (see mecky33 answer in this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/CEN_body_mount_problem/m_1768460/tm.htm]post.)[/link]
This will allow you to rock the body forward enough to get the bed of the truck over the engine to allow the glow heater to reach the plug. You'll need to cut a hole just behind the back window.

To get the pull start to reach the back window, pull about a foot of cord out of the pull start and wrap it around a pencil or something to keep it from going back into the engine. un-tie the knot and remove the T handle and the short piece of tubing. Cut a piece of 1/4 inch plastic tubing about 2-1/2 or 3 inches long. Put the tubing on the cord then the T handle and re-tie the knot. The T handle will now be long enough to reach up to the back window cut-out.

sbb4us 05-06-2004 02:57 PM

bolegs thats a good idea about the pullstart but you have to be careful not to pull the cord to far or break the pullstart that wouldn't be good.

bonified5 05-06-2004 03:39 PM

I cut out my front windo so I could get to the gas tank. As for the dirt and stuff...........theres nothin an air compressor cant fix.

bolegs 05-06-2004 04:01 PM

Hey sbb4us, thats why I told him to pull out approximately 12 inches of cord, my engine has over 20 inches of cord.

sbb4us 05-06-2004 06:17 PM

Yes I know I just wanted to make sure he didn't unknowingly pull to much out.

smaerd58 05-06-2004 10:19 PM

yea, I guess your right about the dirt, I am just trying to keep it looking new.As for the string tip they sure do scare the hell out of you in the engine manual about pulling out too far you will damage the spring. I think at first I was only getting like 6 inches out and panicking that I would break something.Does anyone have any suggestions about the tank size to get longer runs it feels like I am only getting about 5-6 min. and fill up again.Thanks
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/happy.gif

mecky33 05-07-2004 09:23 AM

Smaerd, Lean your engine out it will give you longer run times. The Cen NT-16 engine should run about 220 to 240 at idle and low speed. Then up to about 280 or so after a long full throttle run. I have run the NT-16 as high as 317 without any detrimental effects to the engine. Also, do the body mount mod and it will protect your body mounts in rolls and crashes. Also doing the body mount mod will allow you to rock the body forward and up so that you can work on the truck without fully removing the body. I will take pics of my truck tonight so you guys can see what I am talking about. Let me know if you have any other questions with your truck. also, four glow plugs should be more than enough. I have yet to go through one on my MT2 and I burned one out on my TR4.

smaerd58 05-07-2004 12:17 PM

Has anybody put in rechargeable battery packs in the radio or truck?Which ones will work for this and who has the cheapest.I am getting worried about how much life I have left in mine they are 3 days old now and I have been running about 6 hrs total now. And for anyone that wants to get into nitro I would strongly recommend getting a rechargeable Glo Igniter with meter. I can't tell you how much time I spent thinking my glow plug was bad during break in and here it was the Igniter that was dead,now I have one with a meter.You are going to spend about $20 more but it is well worth it in the long run hope that helps.Thanks You know everybody was worried about the flam. wars if we had our own forum but I now think it might not be a bad Idea so that we could keep our threads straight and mainly for Cen owners and if there was something that would benefit another type of manufacturer maybe we could put some type of Icon in our subject posting so that others can look at it.Just my 2cents as a newby!
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-009.gif

mecky33 05-07-2004 02:24 PM

People have put the five cell hump packs in the truck. I just run Energizer accu-rechargables and they work pretty well and have yet to have a dead battery. I charge them regularly to prevent any accidents. I also run regular AA's in my remote, but I use an airtronics with a three light battery meter. I have had the same AA's in my remote for about seven or eight hours of run time over a two month period and the batteries are not even off the full charge light yet. So you should have some time before they run out completely.

As far as a glow igniter, I bought a Cen 1800 Ma/h set and have charged it twice in about two months. Once when I bought it, and again before a trip to oregon two weeks ago. That thing holds a serious charge and they are only twenty five or thirty bucks.

smaerd58 05-07-2004 11:33 PM

mecky33,I tried leaning it out more but it just gets stubborn and won't fire up.I made it a little richer again and I set my throttle trim up to keep it running while I put down the igniter and grab my radio. I am getting around 6 min. is that normal for a nitro truck? If it is I might look at the 1/5 scale fg models latter for longer run times.But I will always remember my first nitro! Ill try the body post change and Ill look for rechargeables.Thanks,smaerd58

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/q/bawling.gif

Tweedybird 05-08-2004 12:10 AM

I'm really new to the whole MT scene, I currently fly Heli's, My son and I are currently looking for a MT to buy and build.
anyway, forgive my stupidness, but I've seen alot of trucks out there so far and the MT2 you speak of is not in my list of reviews.
I'm guessing MT2 is short for something?

Sounds like a good truck so far.
Then again we are also looking at the
*Mammoth
*LST
*Savage
*Mad Force
*Revo

The undecided

Tweedy Bird

smaerd58 05-08-2004 08:22 AM

Tweedybird, I am also new and have researched a lot of nitro trucks.I also came from airplanes and heli. so this was a little different.MT2 is short for the CEN FUN FACTOR MT-2 1/10 scale monster truck not well known but is becoming more popular.They are not as big as the others that you mentioned but they can hold there own with the big boys.There customer support is great and they are not as expensive as compared to the others you quoted.You could probably almost buy 2 of them close to the price of the others.I will put a link at the bottom for you to read some reviews.I hope I helped a little.You won't go wrong with CEN.I bought mine at www.offshoreelectrics.com they had a great deal and short videos you can look at.Others here on this forum will also be happy to help you if you need it,smaerd5
www.offshoreelectrics.com
www.rcpics.net CEN Fun Factor MT2 review
www.WildHobbies.com CEN Fun Factor MT2 review
www.cenracing.com also do a search on google.com for cen and you will find all kinds of info

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/p/phone.gif

Tweedybird 05-08-2004 04:48 PM

Thanks for the reply Smaerd58, I had a hell of a time searching out the right heli's for me, and now I don't know
why I expected anything less.

There are so many trucks out there to choose from and being a True Noob to the MT part of the Hobby I really don't know what their capable of.
So it makes the decisions even harder.

I see posts about bashing and on-road running, racing etc. I like the sound of putting huge street tires on a powerful monster truck and ripping up the road.
Pulling wheelies etc. etc.

But for the amount of money I'm about to dump into this aspect of the hobby, bashing my truck into jumps 10 feet in the air and rough housing the truck, doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

I like the idea of going 50+ mph on the street. :)

Tweedy Bird

mecky33 05-10-2004 08:59 AM

Tweedybird, the Cen MT2 is a good, durable, inexpensive MT. I have been really happy with mine. The MT2 is pretty good on the street, but it shines in offroad play. You dont have to take ten foot jumps and smash into stuff to make RC monsters fun. I enjoy just playing in my front yard with my truck, I have a small jump, some rocks, and enough room that I can open it up and play with it if I want. If you have any questions about the MT2 let me know, I will be more than happy to help you out.

Tweedybird 05-10-2004 12:27 PM

Tweedybird, the Cen MT2 is a good, durable, inexpensive MT. I have been really happy with mine. The MT2 is pretty good on the street, but it shines in offroad play. You dont have to take ten foot jumps and smash into stuff to make RC monsters fun. I enjoy just playing in my front yard with my truck, I have a small jump, some rocks, and enough room that I can open it up and play with it if I want. If you have any questions about the MT2 let me know, I will be more than happy to help you out.

Dan H.

Cen Fun Factor MT2 with Integy shocks, Purple cooling head, and Proline F-350 super duty body.
Thanks Dan your feed back is greatly appreciated.

I have made my final list, and so far I'm up to about 1800.00
for the savage and mammoth kits, along with a few upgrades for the mammoth, and an extra Futaba radio.

I will have my hands full for quite awhile with my son.
But I am still trying to find out if its possible to hook up buddy systems on the land radio's as easy as it is for my heli tx's

I think we will break in the mammoth first before we add any upgrades, then add them.
then I still have to break in the savage.
Need to do alot of reading on engine tuning.
but I'm sure I'll be back asking questions when the UPS guy finally arrives with all the new presants. [>:]

Thanks again

Tweedy Bird

sbb4us 05-10-2004 05:40 PM

(QUOTE: "I will have my hands full for quite awhile with my son.
But I am still trying to find out if its possible to hook up buddy systems on the land radio's as easy as it is for my heli tx's")

There isn't really a need to, you just hand him the reciever. But geez tweedybird you are really diving head first into the nitro MT scene

Tweedybird 05-11-2004 08:32 AM

yeah I pretty much did the same thing on the heli end, I started out with a used Ergo 60, then 2 weeks after I was up an running, I had a vigor, a vigor 3D, and an Xcell Pro.

I sold my Ergo last year so now I'm down to a fleet of 3.

I have recently been thinking about the Savage purchase tho, I'm hearing alot of debates as far as upgrading goes, I've heard that savage is really hard to work with, and MX45 states that the majority of upgrade hop ups available for the savage are in fact only for the 21 not the 25 RTR.

I would guess that all the hop ups available for the savage ss 21 25 RTR would fit, but he said no they will not.

So if that is the case I will get my mammy, and scratch the savage, and pre-order the LST.

But all this talk, and thinking about the trucks is driving me insane! I want to get one already!!!
preperation and research prooves better in the long run though.

Thanks

Tweedy Bird

There isn't really a need to, you just hand him the reciever. But geez tweedybird you are really diving head first into the nitro MT scene

My son is only 5, just handing him the receiver on a truck that goes 52 mph out of the box I think would result in it being rapped around a tree at full throttle.

I am researching the buddy link to avoid un-wanted and avoidable damage.
I currently have two flight tx's with a buddy link as he is learning to hover the heli's.

which saves me 100's of dollars in repairs, if he looses it I flip my master and take the helm. [>:]

gofaster72 06-12-2004 01:00 PM

This is for mecky33 or any one else that can help. I have a mt2 that has about 12 tanks of fuel ran through it and have a couple of questions. Having have ran it with the body off to keep the engine cool while the break in peroid, I get a real kick out of seeing it pick up the inside front wheel when acellerating out of a turn. Looks like a Silver Crown Midget or a World of Outlaws car. I was wondering if any one makes a midget style body for this chassis? Also is there a site where I can find more information on chassis and running gear maintenance? The ball joints in the front suspension seems to have a lot of play and want to know if this is normal or can it be adjusted out. The information provided with the truck leaves a lot to be desired. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, " M "

Sweetshoes90210 06-12-2004 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: gofaster72

This is for mecky33 or any one else that can help. I have a mt2 that has about 12 tanks of fuel ran through it and have a couple of questions. Having have ran it with the body off to keep the engine cool while the break in peroid, I get a real kick out of seeing it pick up the inside front wheel when acellerating out of a turn. Looks like a Silver Crown Midget or a World of Outlaws car. I was wondering if any one makes a midget style body for this chassis? Also is there a site where I can find more information on chassis and running gear maintenance? The ball joints in the front suspension seems to have a lot of play and want to know if this is normal or can it be adjusted out. The information provided with the truck leaves a lot to be desired. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, " M "

1. Haha. I don't think there will be any site where you can find such a cover unless you buy a cover for the losi mini-t and mod it to fit the truck:D. (you can get MT covers for the mini-t) (Not quite sure what you are asking)

2. The play in the ball joints is fine unless you are experiencing problems with them while driving. Are you?